Author Topic: 18 months and never slept through  (Read 731 times)

Offline Sarahherries

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 16, 2015, 23:47:59 pm »
Hi everyone.

First post so bare with me.

My son is 18 month old and has never slept solidly or soundly through the night.
We have had issues regarding an allergy to cows milk and he is now on a soya milk diet and I believe these issues have contributed to our sleeping nightmare.

before the allergy was diagnosed my son had always had restless and often uncomfortable nights. Often spent in bed beside me so that I could rub his tummy or hold his legs towards his chest to ease the gas and pain.
These issues are more or less resolved now however I feel that the long year of night wakening in discomfort and ending up in our bed has left us with a very poorly sleep trained little boy.

Now he currently take a 1.5-2 hour nap about 11/12 and he goes down with no problems.
Then bedtime is the same as has been since 6 weeks old, bath, pjs, bottle, bed. He settles himself and falls asleep with no one in the room and door closed.
He usually stirs religiously around 11pm and is often settle able with his dummy and then again at around 2am which is the harder to settle. He then ends up in bed beside us and settles vary quickly.

We are really almost at breaking point now and I have no idea which way to turn to try and solve the issue.
Please if anyone has any advice it would be warmly welcomed.

Thank you.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: 18 months and never slept through
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 00:55:30 am »
Hi there! Welcome to BW  :)

Well I think the fact that he already settles for bed initially is a great thing, means he is capable of it and probably just needs a bit more consistency for the nw's. What time does he get up in the morning and go to bed?  I'm not sure whether wi/wo or gradual withdrawal might work better, but have a read of this link to see if it helps: Toddlers: Walk In/Walk Out vs. The Gradual Withdrawal Method (HOW TO CHOOSE)

Heidi

Offline Sarahherries

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 03:37:51 am »
Hi.

If he's in bed beside me he wakes anywhere between 5.30 and 6.30. But is seriously fidgety and restless from around 4 am.
I think he has become aware that he will at some point throughout the night be brought through and has several visits from us up until this point to find the dummy and give him it back.

I just need to find a way to reinforce that he doesn't get out of the cot?
So with walk In walk out, I hear him get upset, wait until he is def not going to go back over himself and then reassure? Then leave again and repeat?

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: 18 months and never slept through
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 05:10:54 am »
Is part of the issue maybe that he cannot find his own soother? Not sure what is available where you are but we have glow in the dark soothers and we keep a minimum of 6 in the crib, usually more like 10-12 so that there is always one at hand for her. You could start by guiding his hands to find the soother and having him pop it in himself.

Yes that is wi/wo in a nutshell. Is he a very spirited lo? Mine never did well with wi/wo until a bit older, mostly I did some gradual withdrawal. With DD3 she was wanting to be picked up for nw's (nap dropping so up wanting to play!) and I started just sitting by her crib repeating the same phrase (unfortunately I tend to fall asleep in her room doing that!).
Heidi