Author Topic: Prem baby and EASY routine...is this realistic?  (Read 1291 times)

Offline Violet18

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Prem baby and EASY routine...is this realistic?
« on: July 17, 2015, 12:52:21 pm »
Hi
My dd2 was born 10 weeks early in December and has been in hospital from March to July for major abdominal surgery. We are now home and I'm struggling getting her into a routine. She is fed 4 hourly but she still requires her oral feeds to be followed with top ups down a nasal feeding tube to ensure that she takes the volume of milk she needs to grow and to prevent hypos (severely low blood sugars).

These are the problems:

*I cannot demand feed due to the hypos so she is not left to go hungry so I find she gripes a lot and wants to sleep due to her full tummy.

*she won't settle into the next sleep cycle after 45 minutes. This leads to fussing in her cot and being tired for when her next feed is due.

*her sleep was interrupted by nurses and doctors in hospital so she isn't used to being out down for a nap.

*cannot allow her to sleep through due to the hypos, even though she would do if given the chance. She will not wake or cry for feeds so I have to wake her.

* oral feeds are stressful due to her not being hungry or recognizing hunger. If she is hungry she does feed well. Otherwise, if she is grumpy, tired of windy she refuses oral feeds or plays with the bottle teat.

*if she doesn't have a long nap she is too tired for oral feeds.

*she is a touchy, highly strung and nervous baby due to the rocky start that she has had in hospital.

This is her routine roughly:

8am milk feed
9.30am nap followed by fussing in the cot. Also, nap may be earlier if she has woken before 8am.
10.30 am solids (baby porridge)
10.45 either a nap or fussing in the cot
12pm milk feed (usually ready for nap and tired when feed is due)
1pm to 2pm/3pm nap
3pm solids (baby porridge)
4pm milk feed
5pm to 7pm nap, sometimes later or shorter followed by fussing
8pm milk feed (woken)
9pm bed
12pm milk feed (woken)
4am milk feed, wide awake at this time. Difficulty settling her back to sleep after feed.

Please can anyone help? I'm getting increasingly frustrated with her especially since my son took to EASY amazingly!

Thanks

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: Prem baby and EASY routine...is this realistic?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 08:49:00 am »
Hi sweetie, it sounds like you've both had a rough time of it these last 8 months! So first off, hugs and vibes for things to go more smoothly from now on xx

Right, now to routine things :)

By my rough calculations, she's about 8 months old and has been out of hospital a short time, 2 weeks or so at most, so I presume she's still not completely fighting fit? Even a baby born at term who's been struck down with a cold has a 'hangover' period when they seem healthy to us but are still not quite back to normal and ready to sleep but if you give them a week or two, they'll settle back to sleeping properly, so I think there may be a bit more time required before she can be expected to sleep solidly given the 'training' she's had for the past few months has been to deal with disrupted sleep.

Even by corrected age, that first A time is too short - possibly a reason for a short first nap and the difficulty getting her back to sleep after that 4am feed.

Are you able to dream feed at night or do you have to wake her? Are you allowed to feed her through the NG tube at night and just do the oral feeds during the day? Sorry, I don't know the ins and outs of looking after a baby post-abdominal surgery, just trying to think of ways to help her be able to get the sleep she needs to heal and grow with minimal disruptions and without missing out on the nutrition she needs.

5pm to 7pm nap, sometimes later or shorter followed by fussing8pm milk feed (woken)9pm bed12pm milk feed (woken)4am milk feed, wide awake at this time. Difficulty settling her back to sleep after feed.
I suspect she's maybe having her night from 5-4 instead of 9-8 as you seem to be aiming for.

I wonder if something like this might work (may have to move there gradually since she's touchy but since everything's pretty messy, it might be worth trying the jump if you think she/you can do it):
8 - wake, feed
10 - solids
10:30 - nap (1.5hr)
12 - wake, feed
2 - solids
2:30 - nap (1.5hr)
4 - wake, feed
7 - catnap (30 min)
8 - milk feed
8:30 - bed for the night
12, 4 night feeds

The longer A times should yield better length and therefore restorative naps and the clearer space between day and night should help with the resettling post-4am feed.

There may be further tweaks required, but this routine would suit a ~5 month old and should be ok for her corrected age factoring in a higher sleep requirement for the healing & growing. Its a bit of a guess but I think would be somewhere to start at least.

Hugs xx you must be exhausted and strung out. Hope this helps a bit xx

Offline Violet18

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 12:19:12 pm »
Thanks so much for your suggestions. I'm going to give this routine a go...wish me luck! X

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 23:34:57 pm »
Best of luck!

Keep us posted :)