Author Topic: What if baby doesn't cry but awake after 45mins, what to do?  (Read 8002 times)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: What if baby doesn't cry but awake after 45mins, what to do?
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2015, 07:29:37 am »
Sounds UT for BT. It may help to just move BT 15 mins later.
Could you give the full day EAS please?

Offline newbie_momsie

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2015, 13:30:19 pm »
May 25 EASY

420AM Woke up but fell back to sleep on her own by 520am and slept until i woke her at 7am.

700am Eat

850am nap. Told MIL in to put DD to bed at 9am but she felt that DD was tired and showed sleepy cues. Dd woke early at 1010am so I started Activity time after 20 mins later since she didnt fall back to sleep.

1030am activity time

1100am Eat

1030-1215 activity

1215pm Sleep. She napped for 1 hr 45 min

215pm Eat

405pm Nap. I woke her after 1 hr 30 min nap otherwise she probably sleep until her 6pm feed. We used to let her sleep 2 hrs and then feed dinner and put her back to sleep which worked well. Now that we changed it and gave her longer A time she is more fussy and harder to fall asleep on her own.

600pm Eat

530pm to 700pm activity

700pm bed but took until 815pm to get her to fall asleep. She tried so hard to fall asleep by herself but couldnt so she got cranky and gave little bursts of cries so DH ended up holding her to help her fall asleep. Is that ok? hope this wont become a prop Since most of the time she falls asleep on her own.

Thanks!!!

« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 16:09:48 pm by newbie_momsie »

Offline creations

« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2015, 18:30:12 pm »
Yes UT for BT.

There are a few options here.
- When you get a day like this, UT first nap so not really long enough, followed by 2 good naps, the day is going to get longer, give 2hr A before BT (making 7.30pm), still get her up at 7am the next day.  It's just pointless fighting BT with her if she is not tired.
or
- Work out from BT backwards if you want BT to preserve a 7pm BT. She needs 2hrs, so you must wake her from her last nap at 5pm and no later regardless of what time she began the nap or how her naps have been that day.

Longer term (rather than a one-off) you need to be making a decision about which nap will be a CN.  Usually it is the last nap, so 2 good 1.5-2hr naps plus a CN (30-45 min) is standard.  It is ok to adapt this though and go for the first nap as a CN instead followed by two good length naps. OR you have 3 long naps and shorten the night (I don't really advise this as nights seem to be going reasonably well but moving BT later is certainly an option and for some LOs they can't do a 12hr night anyway).  But you do need to choose one of these, there will not be enough time in the day for three long naps plus the length of her A times plus a 12hr night.
The A time running up to the CN can be a little shorter (it does need to be long enough for her to agree to go to sleep) whether this is the first nap or the last nap.  You may also find that after a CN she will accept a shorter A time before BT for instance:

WU 7
A 2hr
S 9-11
A 2hr
S 1-3
A 1hr 45
CN 4.45-5.15
A 1hr 45
BT 7.00

That's just a guide as to how you day might look. She's napping well now so it's just a case of tweaking the routine a little and you'll get into the rhythm of it.

DH ended up holding her to help her fall asleep. Is that ok? hope this wont become a prop
No problem at all. I'm sure in the future you'll find yourself (or DH) holding her quite a lot through painful teething or illnesses etc. The great thing about independent sleepers is they generally let you know when they need help (because they know they get it) and stop needing it just as soon as they can, or with very little encouragement. Don't worry about this holding but do listen to what she's telling you, 'not tired enough Mummy and Daddy'.

You've done brilliantly :)

Offline newbie_momsie

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2015, 23:43:51 pm »
Thanks so much!

Your suggestions on cat naps are very helpful!

I will give them a try! 2 long naps and 1 CN. Just hoping she no longer take 60 min naps! I guess every day as parents we have to adjust and tweak EASY.

Thanks for all your help and support!!! Means so much to have an expert on EASY to help me get through these tough times.

A heartfelt thanks!!!

Offline creations

« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2015, 07:37:53 am »
:) Not an expert, just a mummy who has been there and done that and now doing my bit to pay it forward to support other mummies :)
Before you know it you will be paying it forward too and sharing your experience with other mummies :)

Keep an eye on her A times, although we follow baby's cues it's also helpful to have one eye on the clock, if she's fussing and it's nowhere near E or S time then opt for a different activity or change of scene instead.  This link is helpful as a guide
Average A times- BOOKMARK ME!
And as a general rule of thumb if naps shorten again add another 15 mins to her A time (apart from where you want a 45 min CN).

How about you see how it goes and post with an update in a week or so? (but sooner if you need help!)

A heartfelt thanks!!!
You are very welcome :)

Offline newbie_momsie

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2015, 03:50:34 am »
Thank you for the A time link! Yes, sounds good. I will see how another week goes. If her naps get short again I will add 15 mins. Many thanks! This forum is so helpful and thank you for volunteering your time to help so many of us new moms! I am so grateful!

Offline creations

« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2015, 06:47:34 am »
You're very welcome :)

Offline newbie_momsie

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2015, 13:32:08 pm »
Is it normal that DD wakes around 4-5am and babbles like she is wide awake for an hour then falls back to sleep by herself? She would sleep until I wake her up which is 7am.

She has done this a couple of times this week.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 13:47:05 pm by newbie_momsie »

Offline creations

« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2015, 18:28:27 pm »
It's absolutely fine.  Tracy mentions these babbling night wakings in the BW books and warns us not to go rushing in there because baby will, in all likelihood, self settle eventually, if we rush in we could disturb that natural process and begin a habit/prop of helping to resettling NWs where they weren't not previously needed.  Babbling NWs can be a sign of developmental leaps and she's just working through all her lovely experiences she's had in the day.

That said... if NWs continue more than a few days or if they are not merry babbling but instead 'I need you crying', you may want to look at the overall routine again and see if something is bothering her or if she needs a little tweak in times.
As this particular thread has been 'answered' (because the 45 min WUs appear to be pretty much resolved) I would suggest a new thread on the NW board if you are concerned.

Offline newbie_momsie

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2015, 18:37:10 pm »
 Thank you! Ok, will see how the next week goes with the naps and NWs. If it continues I will post a new thread for NW. Thx!

Offline creations

« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2015, 18:53:03 pm »
No problem at all :)

Offline newbie_momsie

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2015, 16:35:06 pm »
Hi creations,

Looks like DD waking' again at 45 min mark. She is doing 2 hrs 50 min A time currently,  should I increase her A time by 10 mins? she is 6.5 months old now.

TIA!

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2015, 09:44:35 am »
Sounds like a good idea. Might help with the early AM wake and babble, too.