Author Topic: 3 MO started waking up at nights again  (Read 2327 times)

Offline rogrogit

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: July 17, 2015, 16:57:07 pm »
My 3 MO baby started sleeping all night at about 8 weeks old.
Her easy is changing from day to day since she's been waking up on a different time every day- 5,6 or 7AM. when she wakes up I feed her (BF only), and keep a 3 hrs routine, and although shes a good napper, if I need to go outside with her, she doesn't sleep well in her trolly. If we're staying at home, she falls asleep on her own (after a short crying) and sleeps the whole time till her next feed, and sometimes I even need to wake her up. She eats well and it seems I have enough milk (at the 4th child you already know ;)). Anyway, whether she had a good nap or not (80% of the naps- she did), I feed her every 3 hrs.
I do her bath at about 18:00, BF at 18:15/18:30- and to bed. DF at 22:00/22:30 tops. Since she started sleeping from 22:00 till the morning there were occasional night awakenings at 3AM, but she got back to normal immediately- the night after, so I didn't feel that I need to change anything.
So, her easy is more or less like this:
6-BF
6:20-plays
7-nap
9- BF
9:20-plays
10-nap
12-BF
12:20-plays
13:00-nap
15:00-BF
15:20-plays
16:00-nap
17:00- we go to take her brothers from school. till 18:00 she sometimes plays, cries every now and then. if we go out she sleeps (not well) in her trolly- for a few minutes.
18:15-bath
18:30-BF
22:00-DF

During the last 4-5 nights she's been waking at 3 AM EVERY NIGHT. last night I tried W2S. Didn't work out- she still woke up at 3. I tried that at 2:35, since the night b4 she woke at 2:45. the night b4 that she woke at 3:00. it runs from 2:40 to 3:30, so it's kind of hard to deside when to do the w2s. Nevertheless, I tried to put her back to sleep in every way I know. she doesn't take pacifier so I couldn't give her a breast alternative. She cried or just stared at me, but didn't go to sleep for 2 hrs. at 4:30 I gave up and fed her.
What would you suggest that I'll do tonight?

Offline rogrogit

• Showing Appreciation 2
Re: 3 MO started waking up at nights again
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 09:10:37 am »
and only when I thought it couldn't get any worse- tonight she woke up at 2!! I tried to give her a dummy but she resisted so firmly and shouted so hard, I had to feed her.
Also, I gave her DF with a bottle. thought it might fill her up. it didn't.

Advice, anyone?!

Offline Lindsay27

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 78
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 10:58:01 am »
I suspect hunger hun, at 3 months it is still very normal to need a 3am feed even with a DF.  It is likely the 4th month growth spurt coming a wee bit early.  My DS was exactly the same, started STTN at 8 weeks (12hrs!) and then at 12 weeks started needing a regular NF again, in fact I think during this growth spurt he ended up needing 2 NFs (we didn't DF).

If the same thing happens tonight I would just trying giving her a feed as soon as she wakes, you might find that she settles back to sleep fine afterwards :)

Offline rogrogit

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 06:58:35 am »
Thanks! I thought growth spurt supposed to last 2-3 days; this one lasts more than a week...

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 11:29:20 am »
I would expect a growth spurt to last a week or more.  To be honest my DS ended up keeping that NF again until he was well established in solid, which I think is pretty common.

Offline rogrogit

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 14:03:52 pm »
thank you. It's been more than 3 weeks since she has started waking up at night, every 3-4 hours, and she's more than 16 wo!! so I'm sorry, but I don't think it's a growing spurt. Plus, according to BW at 16 weeks she supposed to sleep 6-8 hours at night ; my other 3 kids slept about 10 hrs at this age. she's not even close to this :-\
I've tried to enlarge the amount of milk I have by BF her from both sides; I started giving her formula on the last week on DF, to fill her up; nither things changed anything in her NW.

Thoughts?

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 15:43:51 pm »
Plus, according to BW at 16 weeks she supposed to sleep 6-8 hours at night ; my other 3 kids slept about 10 hrs at this age. she's not even close to this
I think it's important to remember that all babies are different :)  My DS was certainly not sleeping 10hrs at night at this age, I would say 5 or 6 at most and didn't STTN until he was a year old.

It's been more than 3 weeks since she has started waking up at night, every 3-4 hours, and she's more than 16 wo!! so I'm sorry, but I don't think it's a growing spurt.
It may not be, but again I don't think this is overly abnormal.  How is her routine during the day?  How are naps? Any teeth?  How do you usually settle her during NWs? 

I'm sure the mods will have some great advice :)

Offline rogrogit

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 18:32:02 pm »
I shared her routine on the first post  :). it's still the same- she's a good napper, most of the times. she falls asleep by herself. If she cries, I come to her, do a little shush, if she cries more I pick her up, but it hardly ever happens.
I cannot settle her down during NW's, that's the thing... she won't take pacifier and she cries louder and louder when I shush her or even pick her up. I'm pretty certain she's hungry. the question is what do I do during daytime in order to stop it. I tried to feed more, I keep the 3 hrs routine, she naps well... what else can I do?!
Oh, I forgot to mention that lately she wakes up before her DF, at about 21:30, and she's obviously hungry. that never happened until the last 2-3 weeks. 

Offline rogrogit

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 19:03:42 pm »
any thoughts, anyone? :-[

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 14:16:54 pm »
I'll ping a mod to get some eyes on this :)

I cannot settle her down during NW's, that's the thing... she won't take pacifier and she cries louder and louder when I shush her or even pick her up. I'm pretty certain she's hungry. the question is what do I do during daytime in order to stop it. I tried to feed more, I keep the 3 hrs routine, she naps well... what else can I do?!
TBH if your daytime routine is going well, she's napping well and feeding well, then I don't think there is anything you can do during the day that's going to stop the NF.  It is still perfectly reasonable for your LO to have a NF at this age, so I think your best bet is to just feed and put right back down rather than trying to resettle :)

Offline Emami

• Showing Appreciation 41
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 19:33:22 pm »
TBH if your daytime routine is going well, she's napping well and feeding well, then I don't think there is anything you can do during the day that's going to stop the NF.  It is still perfectly reasonable for your LO to have a NF at this age, so I think your best bet is to just feed and put right back down rather than trying to resettle :)
I agree - she is still so little and likely really needs to eat.  I know she was sleeping through before, but they change so much, and between growth spurts, developmental leaps, teething, etc etc, there are always sleep interruptions.  My DD1 was one of those fabulous babies who slept 12hrs straight at 2 months too, and she has stayed a good sleeper overall, but there have been plenty of times when things have gone wonky yk?

Having said that, if you're not happy to feed at night I think you could tweak your day a bit to move towards a 3.5/4 hr routine.  If her feeds are spaced out a little more she might take more at each one and be less hungry at night.  A 4hr EASY usually falls into place around 4 months.  From the routine you posted it looks like her A time is only an hour?  I know you're getting good naps with that, but she should be able to handle a little more, so it could be worth adding 15mins or so to extend the whole cycle and get her feeds further apart.  What do you think?
Emma