Author Topic: 9 week old - sleeping tips, please!  (Read 848 times)

Offline Bigbee

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 17, 2015, 20:52:44 pm »
Hello all, this is my first post, and I am hoping I will be able to get some tips on how to improve my son's sleeping habits.

The little man is 9 weeks today. He is breast fed. We have issues with both day and night sleeping.

We are trying out the EASY routine during the day, but it has always been more of a EAES routine. He is reluctant to go to sleep in his own bed in the day, so ends up sleeping on me… unless we are out and he is knackered - he might then sleep in his car seat or pram. As soon as I put him down, eyes wide open! I have tried doing it when he is dosing off, and when he is in deep sleep (which I think is deep sleep), but no luck.

In the evening, baby has a bath, gets fed, and then we spend significant amount of time walking about/bouncing on the exercise ball with him in order to rock him to sleep. Again, as soon as he is in his crib - he wakes up.

We have been "experimenting" with the evening routine in the last week, and have noticed that if we start at 8 pm, baby will be asleep in his crib at 9.30 pm. Then awake for a feed at midnight, 3 am, 5 am, 6 am. These times are typical and vary from night to night though.

Yesterday, he woke up from his afternoon nap (approx. 1 hour) at 5.20 pm. I gave him a bath at 6.30 pm, and he was asleep at 7 pm. As soon as I put him in his crib, he was awake again! I finally managed to put him into his crib at 8 pm, but he shortly woke up. I was downstairs by then, and did not go up. He was happy to stay there on his own for a little while. We finally managed to get him to sleep at 8.45 pm, and he slept for 3.5 hours. So, basically it seems like his "bed" time is around 9 pm. (It is 9.15 pm, and he is currently in bed awake…after the third attempt at putting him in his bed after he has fallen asleep in dad's arms.)

He also seems quite selective at when he is happy on his own. For instance, for the last two days, he has woken up just after 5 am, and spent about an hour just chatting to himself. By the way, he wakes up at exactly 5.10 am most mornings, even if he has been fed at 4 am! I think this is now a habit more than anything else.

I guess I am after some tips/advice/guidance on:
- how do I train my boy to sleep in his bed during the day?
- how do I get him settled for the night earlier than 9 pm?
- how do I get him to sleep without rocking/swaying him?
- how do I get him to remain sleeping at 5 am every morning?

Thank you in advance, any input will be more than greatly appreciated! :)

P.S. We did the personality quiz, and it appears that the little man is "textbook", if that helps at all?

Offline newkidontheblock

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 42
Re: 9 week old - sleeping tips, please!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 15:28:39 pm »
Hi there and welcome to BW :)
Have you seen this? Starting EASY - all you need to know and more! Do have a read. It should cover most of the answers:)

Regarding the 5.10 WU, could it be light or something disturbing him? Here are somethings you could try
How do I address habitual wakings? (wake-to-sleep and other methods)

Hope you find these links helpful. Let me know how you're getting along :-*

Offline Bigbee

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 19:17:55 pm »
Thank you so much for replying!

I did read those threads, but it was soooo confusing! So much information. :)

I was really trying to stick to the routine today, and having written down all the times, it seems like our awake times are a bit long (max 1.30 mins). I will try to make sure we keep our awake time to 1 hour tomorrow, and see how that goes for us. He seems to fall asleep in the day much easier than in the night. I give him a bath, dress him and feed, and he just perks up! Daddy is currently trying to rock him to sleep again…and having none of it!

Thank you for the second link, I did wonder whether it is a bit light in the room… I will have a read :)

Offline newkidontheblock

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 42
Re: 9 week old - sleeping tips, please!
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 03:58:39 am »
Bath time can be a bit stimulating for some babies. I would split the BT feed before and after bath, and I give DD a massage to get her nice and relaxed. Low lighting also helps