Author Topic: 7 month sweet tooth!  (Read 2205 times)

Offline sunflower321

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: July 20, 2015, 19:49:50 pm »
My little girl has only just turned 7 months, has only been on solids about a month and is taking really well to them but has a terrible sweet tooth. She has started meat and will only eat her meat dish if I cook fruit in it too. This new batch I didn't put fruit in and I've been forced to spoon fruit through it to get her to eat it! She's a stubborn little thing.
This evening for tea she was hungry and I gave her macaroni and cheese. She kept blowing and spitting and wouldn't swallow. I tried for five mins, gave up. Made baby rice and fruit which she finished every bit of!
I probably gave her too much fruit from the beginning, giving her a sweet tooth. It's definitely not the texture because everything I give her gis still pureed. My dd1 is 2 and always liked savoury. Surely it can't be too late to undo this at only 7 months!!!
How would you approach this? I can mix fruit through her savoury hopefully reducing the quantities over time. Or just offer the savoury with no alternative. But I don't think I would do that. Is there anything else anyone can think of?

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: 7 month sweet tooth!
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 19:54:13 pm »
Its actually pretty normal at this age. Keep offering, that's all you can really do. Think how sweet milk is and that's all she's had til she started solids.

I can mix fruit through her savoury hopefully reducing the quantities over time. Or just offer the savoury with no alternative.
Either of these is fine. Solids is for tasting and fun til age 1. Its for introducing flavours, getting used to textures, etc. not about how much she takes in.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 20:09:19 pm »
i would be inclined to reduce the amount of fruit in the foods TBH xx

Offline sunflower321

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 06:27:11 am »
Oh I didn't know it was normal. Like I say dd1 happily ate whatever she was given except she needed it pureed for way too long but that's another issue that we're finally over.
That's good to know. I thought I had weaned her wrong because I didn't spend as much time doing it "right" as I did with dd1. Grand so. I'll just add fruit with the veg when I'm cooking the food for now.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 07:15:53 am »
O no you haven;t done anything wrong. Just keep giving her a variety of foods. With the macaroni cheese did you give her any of the pasta pieces to play with? If your first liked her purees I would definitely get the finger foods going early.

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 09:23:00 am »
Definitely worth giving her some pieces of finger food to at least play with.

Offline sunflower321

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2015, 14:48:41 pm »
No I haven't given her any finger food. I was waiting til she could sit up on her own first. I don't know why. I just can't picture her eating finger foods til she can sit up in a chair!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2015, 17:44:10 pm »
I would generally agree with beginning to offer finger foods at this age but if she is unable to sit up I wouldn't offer just yet. Babies should be able to sit independently before finger foods are given and should not be leaning or tilted backwards at all.
Having said that - mine was able to sit up without support when I started offering finger foods but I also propped him upright in his high chair, it seemed too big for him when he was so little so I put a folded towel behind his back which worked great for giving a bit of support and ensuring he didn't 'fall' or lean backwards on a slant.
You might feel comfortable to have LO sat on your knee upright to offer finger foods, it depends on her strength and ability to sit  and support herself really.

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2015, 20:32:25 pm »
You might feel comfortable to have LO sat on your knee upright to offer finger foods, it depends on her strength and ability to sit  and support herself really.
I did this for a few weeks with LO1 and it was really lovely!  He was able to sit pretty well though.
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline sunflower321

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2015, 08:20:31 am »
Thanks. Mine must be late to sit up because dd1 was 8 months before she could sit up. Both were small babies around 5lb so I don't know if that's connected. I think I'll hold off on the finger foods for now til she can sit. She's getting better with savoury now too. I add apricots to the chicken stew when I cook it and that seems to be doing the trick.
Have to find fruit that goes with lamb and fish now!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2015, 08:30:30 am »
There are some great Moroccan recipes with apricot and lamb, or prune and lamb (maybe go steady on the prunes though as they can have quite an effect on poo!).