Author Topic: Introducing solids causing more NF?  (Read 2121 times)

Offline Bella89

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
Introducing solids causing more NF?
« on: July 19, 2015, 13:06:16 pm »
Hi,
My DS is BF and we introduced solids at 5,5 months a week ago. It's only cooked apple and carrot for now. Half the time I am successful in giving him breast after solids to drink, but sometimes he refuses it:/
When we did his poop changed right away to more constant ( I am sure you are happy to know the details:)
Since we have done that, he now wakes up at 2 and 4.30 for a feeding after his 11 DF. He needed only one feeding at 3 before. I know 2,5 h is a short time, but he eats both breasts each time.

I feel like it started when we introduced solids. Is that possible?
Is it because he refuses breast after and he makes up for it during the night. Other feedings during the day are really good though:/

Offline newkidontheblock

• Showing Appreciation 42
Re: Introducing solids causing more NF?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 15:34:32 pm »
Are you nursing after solids? The general rule is to nurse first and then offer solids around an hour later. Solids before 1 are simply for fun & exploration, while the milk remains the main source of nutrition. You want him hungry to take in a full feed, so that he takes his calories mostly in the day and not at night. Hope that helps xx

Offline Bella89

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 20:28:54 pm »
Yes, thank you.
I think I read that you're suppose to feed solids first when baby is hungry and then top it off with breast... Hmm...but that obviously is not working for us, so I will try it the way you suggested.
Today he woke for his DF at 10 so an hour early :(
Also, he EW lately so I give my DS solids during second EASY, not the first one at 5am.
I just hope it will get better and its just temporary:(

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 04:17:39 am »
http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starting-solids/solids-how/

Hun, not sure why you've started early with solids but just wanted to say that solids - too much/ too quickly -- can actually cause issues as unlike milk, solids aren't as nutrient dense and also their bodies can have trouble with digestion.

Offline Bella89

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 05:40:07 am »
There were few reasons actually. We were at 5,5 months, so close to 6 months guideline. Also, I am nursing more frequently, my DS is staring at our food and even opens his mouth when we eat. He eats really well, doeasnt spit, opens his mouth wide.As for now he ate 1 meal a day apple or carrot, 1-2 teaspoons.
The only thing is, i fed solids first like Tracy recommended, and I feel like its not doing us any good. I will start with breast and slow down on solids some more.

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 05:44:01 am »
Oh my, he sounds so cute! I guess you have a big foodie on your hands :D {hugs} hun. Just offer him milk first and you both should be back on track in no time:)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 09:37:09 am »
Tracy's suggestion of finishing off a solids meal with a milk feed is in addition to all the regular milk feeds in the day rather than putting solids first. I think there has been a little confusion with this. So there are usually 4 day times feed at lets say 7, 11, 3, 7, you would continue these as usual, offer a solids meal roughly 1hr after a milk feed (1 meal now is fine) and at the end of the solids meal offer an *additional* milk feed. It is not vital that LO takes this additional milk feed it is only to ensure LO is not thirsty. If LO takes enough water with solids that's fine, or if the solids are quite wet Lo may get enough fluid for the food, some LOs want the milk some not.

Any DF or NF that you usually had (prior to solids) will continue as normal.
Increased night feeds can be due to not taking enough calories during the day (as pp said it is the calories from milk, which are important for LO right now and offer more nutrition and calories than solids at this age).  i wouldn't look to drop any day or night time feeds at this point and not for several months.

hth :)
(ps mine started at 5.5 months too and had been screaming for solids for a month by then!)

Offline Bella89

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 18:23:17 pm »
Thank you all! I think everything is clear now.
There is one more thing that has become clear to me- we're def going through grow spurt!!!
The amount of milk that my DS is taking in is enormous! Day or night. I think that is what messed up our sleep and feeds:/

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 19:09:36 pm »
Ah, all should settle back down in a few days then :)