Author Topic: Finger foods with dairy/soy allergy and scheduling  (Read 1667 times)

Offline FroggyMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 12
Finger foods with dairy/soy allergy and scheduling
« on: July 19, 2015, 17:56:52 pm »
Hi ladies!  I can't believe it, but DD will be 1 this week!!!   :o :o :o  I feel like I am feeding her all day at the moment trying to fit all of her milk feeds/solids in, and I'm thinking it may be time for a schedule change.  As a bit of background, DD has reflux and dairy/soy allergy.  So, we have always been a bit behind in the eating area.  She is just now accepting some finger foods off a spoon in the past 2 weeks (may have somewhat of a texture aversion but not sure yet).  It's also very hard for me to come up with foods that she is able to eat and can try. So far, she can eat bananas, sweet potato, squash, green beans, and sweet peas.  I plan to try avocado tomorrow.  Do any of you have any other ideas for finger foods that are dairy/soy free?

Also, here is her current feeding schedule:

7:30 wake-up
7:45 am bottle
8:45 am breakfast solids
10:45 am bottle
11:40 am lunch solids
12:30-2 pm nap (in the 2-1 nap transition so struggling a bit with this nap and usually end up doing less than a 12 hour day to make up for it)
2:45 pm bottle
3:45 pm dinner solids
6 pm bottle
7 pm bed

I still have 4 bottle feeds because DD's pediatric GI doctor said that she doesn't need to drop to 3 milk feeds a day until she is taking in more calories from actual meals (which she is not yet).  I have still been doing solids an hour after milk feeds.  However, I feel she is probably at the age this should change but I can't remember what I did with DS.  Do you do solids before milk now?  At the same time?  Thanks so much for all of your help!  :)

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Finger foods with dairy/soy allergy and scheduling
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 19:35:36 pm »
Hi - you might find some ideas here?
Dairy, soy and/or gluten free recipes & menu plans

Is she having wheat? toast, pasta, crackers? Some of the Goodies Organix range is dairy free. We loved the flapjacks.

At 12 months, even with all his allergies (incl milk at that time) he was on 2 BFs a day. Well we dropped to 2 at 12 months. i can see why it is tempting to keep the milk up but do you feel it is making here less interested in food as she isn't so hungry?

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 20:01:41 pm »
My refluxers didn't have the dairy/soy issues but they definite did better with solids when their milk reduced. How much is she taking at each bottle now? I would say that she isn't likely to take more solids until you reduce the milk - formula is really filling and from 1 they need less than 500ml to get their needs met!

We moved to 3 bottles at 8 months, so for you I would drop to 3 bottles for a while and then to 2. Most bottle fed babies have a routine that has a wake up bottle, a post lunch/ pre nap bottle and a bedtime bottle. My DD wasn't eating much breakfast so at 1 we dropped the wake up milk, gave her breakfast first and then milk as a mid morning snack with toast. That could be an option for you, mid morning milk, pre nap milk and then bedtime milk. That should mean you get a better breakfast in her at least.

What do you think?

Laura

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 09:30:35 am »
Just going to move you over to eating for Toddlers for continued support as your LO reaches 1yo
Happy birthday!!