Author Topic: 40 minute nap.... Don't know what to do?!?  (Read 5619 times)

Offline BobbysMummy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 40 minute nap.... Don't know what to do?!?
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2015, 08:12:13 am »
Morning

So we've pushed the first A time to 2 hours and he slept for 35 mins. Should I try and keep all A times at 2hrs (+\- 15 mins) even if he only had a 35 min nap? He went down for his nap after the 3 yawn and when he started touching his ear.

I hear what you're saying about consistency for a week or so and I'm more the happy to do that. It's just hard to be consistent with such an inconsistent baby. I just can't see how he will manage with an A time of 2 hours now he's only had a 35 min nap.

Offline BobbysMummy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2015, 09:32:20 am »
He lasted 1 hour until he started yawning and pulling his ear, I had to put him back in his crib. He was asleep by 10.20.

Could someone maybe suggest an EASASE plan that you think would be attainable for me?

I know you've said consistency is key and I do agree but if I can't stick to a regular A time what should I do?

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2015, 11:09:54 am »
Aw, it's crazy-making when they can't pick a routine! (That was my #2. ::))

For now maybe just "fake it till you make it" - give him as much sleep as he'll take, feed when he's hungry, see what new pattern emerges. Maybe give it 5-7 days and then try a "reset?" IMO, consistency is great when it works, but when it starts to become too restrictive, maybe it's time to just let go and see what happens for a bit and revisit when things settle. As Liz (I think it was Liz?) said, if the reflux is that problematic, then an "ideal" routine isn't going to work till it resolves. FWIW, Josie's reflux was SEVERE (at least the spitup was!), and it settled down around 4 to 4-1/2 months.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 11:12:09 am by deb »

Offline Bella89

• Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2015, 15:54:15 pm »
Consistency is the key, but you have to watch your baby. If he is tired, its good you put him down. This is what he wants now.

You got some great advice here- sit down and think of whats reasonable and good for your baby. Maybe even write it down. Think of the pattern that he is following right now and just try to fix it one bit at a time.

You got first A time at 2h, great! If you think its ok with him, try that for some time. If you worry that it was too much shorten it. Its really up to you and your baby. You have to remember, first couple of days any change may even worsen things because its a little confusing to him.

What time did he get up today? Ill try to write down easy for you, and maybe we could all look at it:)

Offline BobbysMummy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2015, 18:44:58 pm »
Yeah got lots of great advice - thank you!!

Since I've swapped his night feed to the 12-2am wake up, and giving paci at 5am wake up he has been getting up at about 6.30. When I was giving paci at 12-2am and feed at 5am he was waking at 7-7.30.... But he wasn't taking a morning feed. He takes about 3oz in the morning now I've switched these feeds. I am going to continue with this for a week or so and then maybe see about swapping the 12-2am feed for a DF... Think that might help?!

Would love to see an EASY and discuss with all you lovely ladies.

Offline BobbysMummy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2015, 19:33:38 pm »
Just something else I thought I would mention. When I let DS sleep in my arms, 9 times out of 10 he wakes up crying. It starts by his mouth just going into the cry position and then a few seconds later he lets out a big cry and looks so so upset. Do you think this is the reflux too?
I'm tempted to go back to the DR's, he's on gaviscon (powder added to his formula) at the moment and I can't up it anymore. Maybe he needs something else?!
Just can't stop worrying about him and feeling like I need to do more to try and help my little man.

Offline lauradj

• Showing Appreciation 61
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2015, 20:20:46 pm »
I totally agree with Deb.  I was so adamant about having DS2 on EASY right from the get go but when he was diagnosed with reflux and he wasn't/still isn't really gaining weight, I had to modify things.  I mostly fed on demand and I wore him quite a bit to keep him upright his feeds.  Is it possible that instead of being tired, he's just bored with whatever you're doing in that moment?  I remember Tracey mentioning that.  My DS2 can now handle a 4hr EASY so here it is, as you requested:

WU & E: 7:30 (I always change his diaper as soon as wakes, so I don't have to lay him down after he's eaten)
A: 7:45
S: 9:30 (Sometimes he's in his crib, sometimes he's in the ERGO.  I'm usually able to transfer him once we get home)
Y: Play with DS1
WU: 11/11:30
E: 11:30
A:11:45
S:1:30
Y: Read, sit in total silence while both children sleep!
WU: 3
E:3
A:3:15
S: 5
WU:5:30/5:45 (depends on his naps for the day)
E: 5:45/6
Bath & stories with BB: 6:30
E: 7ish
S:7:10

If DH is home he's asleep by 7.  I added in the WU's because sometimes he wakes before it's time to eat and I wanted you to get an accurate picture.  At the moment I'm testing out 2hrs and 5mins because he was getting really fussy as I lay him down, making me think he's ready for a slow A push.

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2015, 20:36:13 pm »
Gaviscon is a very mild thickener, it does little to ease pain. I think a trial of something different is a good idea  :). Gaviscon is also pretty constipation and can give tummy cramps.

Do you get a lot of spit up?? Or do you hear him gulping, swallowing and retching? On a bad day I always know if it is the reflux or not due to the gulping etc.

Offline Bella89

« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2015, 21:27:31 pm »
Thats a great EASY. You probably have more experience with 2 kids and reflux laura.

Yes, thats a good plan with DF. Look if youre going in the right direction.

Stay healthy!

Offline ecwinters

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2015, 20:31:19 pm »
Hi
I've just been reading through this and it sounds just like my DS!!  Reflux and everything - he's also on Gaviscon.  He is 4 months old.  Like you, I tried an A time push recently to about 2 hours (give or take) and got 3 days of lovely long naps...then back to the 40/45 minute ones!  I assume he 'got used' to the new awake time as that's the only reason I can think of.  Maybe you should keep pushing the A time gently?  I know it's hard though when you're worried about them being OT as well. 

Can you take him out in a sling for one of his sleeps?  I do this with my DS in the middle of the day to give him one decent length sleep.  He likes it because it's upright and will sometimes do an hour and a half or more.  I have to keep moving though - and stay outside (he wakes up if I go indoors!).

We had similar issues with the pram - he hated lying down - so have now got the buggy set up so he is more upright and he really likes it!  He's just about big enough for it and he'll also sleep in it too!  Only for 40 minutes but hey...at least it means I can get out and about a bit.  I also thought that my DS wouldn't sleep because he was too busy looking at things, but he drifts off eventually.

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2015, 12:34:58 pm »
Just want to highlight Liz's comment for your poor mamas with refluxy babas
Gaviscon is a very mild thickener, it does little to ease pain. I think a trial of something different is a good idea  :). Gaviscon is also pretty constipation and can give tummy cramps.
It might be worth going back and asking for something else to try.  The Gaviscon is likely doing very little, particularly if LO has a lot of pain :(  If you go to our Reflux board, there is lots of information. Here's some:
Reflux 101 - General reflux information

Otherwise, totally agree with sling/carrier nap.  One thing I used to do with LO2 if she woke up early, was to pop her straight into the carrier and let her have the second half of the nap in there, that way we avoided OT.
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline BobbysMummy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2015, 18:12:21 pm »
Hi all,

We've actually been as hospital with DS today as last night he was so constipated and trying to poo but was only getting little rabbit droppings out. He has also been really sick again, like cottage cheese, even though we put his gaviscon up.

When at the hospital they said it actually sounds like a cows milk allergy, and this actually runs in the family on my husbands side... But only as babies and they've all grown out of it.

But they also said there isn't anything they can do, I need to see my GP on Monday and see if they will prescribe a milk and or refer is to a pediatrician.

So until then we've got to give more lactalose to try and help him poo and they've given us some suppositories to try and help his poop.

I feel so awful for him. I just didn't think something was right and had to trust my instinct.

EASY has gone out of the window the last few days, I've just been doing what he wants and letting him sleep on me. I will try again next week I think, when hopefully we will try a new prescription milk and see if that helps him.

Thank you all for your help!! I will be back next week to let you know the outcome and see if we can get a EASY sorted for him.

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2015, 19:21:37 pm »
Hun, I don't know lactulose is suitable for babies with cows milk allergy, it contains milk proteins as far as I know. It is a treatment for constipation alright, but not for reflux.  Can you check this with someone ASAP? I will ask medical heads here for their thoughts on it.
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2015, 20:11:21 pm »
Lactulose contains the milk sugar lactose, but no milk proteins. Because it is manufactured in a pharmaceutical environment it is the pure product so is OK for the vast majority of babies even with milk allergy  :).

Are you based in the UK?? My DS2 (who I have been talking about) actually has reflux and milk allergy. He was originally on Apitmal, but was vomiting all feeds (completely - no weight gain and getting poorly), but improved quickly once put on nutramigen. However his reflux continued to worsen and he still swings between mucous and constipation, so has recently changed to nutramigen proamino. He also takes omeprazole for his reflux now.

I also still use suppositories from time to time.

Hugs and here if you need us. We can do reflux as well as EASY  ;) :-* :-*.

Offline Bella89

« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2015, 21:36:51 pm »
So sorry to hear that:( Of course do whats best for your baby right now. First aid.

Get better and hope to hear some good news soon.