Author Topic: 2-1 nap transition.... Am nap refusal  (Read 5532 times)

Offline Kfro

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
Re: 2-1 nap transition.... Am nap refusal
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2015, 08:50:19 am »
First nap is two hours. It's been tricky holding him out do four hours as he has been getting cranky but I know he won't actually go to sleep earlier. He fought the cat nap yesterday so it was later than ideal and then a pretty short a to bed so that doesn't help xx

Offline Kellyjs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2015, 13:58:26 pm »
Sorry for the late reply hun, had n impromptu get together!

It might be an idea to cap that first nap at 1.5hrs if you want to squeeze in a CN later on. Especially of he's not ready to go past 4hrs just yet xx

Offline Kfro

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2015, 18:26:18 pm »
No worries.

I was considering that. Would you suggest capping the first nap even if the cn isn't being refused regularly? Or only if that is becoming a problem. I have only had a problem once this week and he did go to sleep independently after 20 minutes (I'm just used to him going straight down!) I can't decide whether to cap the first nap and therefore reduce overall day sleep or keep pushing his first a and cap the cn further. He is taking longer to go down at bt. It's difficult to know how much a time to give after a cn.... I'm giving as much as I can to allow a decent bt but it may still not be enough!!

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2015, 18:31:28 pm »
How's the routine looking atm hun? Would you mind posting it for me?

How long does the BT shenanigans usually go on for? Will be able to see more  I think once I see what your day looks like. I'm really considering the possibility UT might be the problem with the nights  :-\ xx

Offline Kfro

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2015, 18:57:04 pm »
I really think it might be too.... It seems to have come from nowhere though.... Maybe he has just had a big jump in a time.... Usually that happens after a wonder week but I guess it is possible. His current routine is:

Get up 6 (he is always awake before this but plays quietly until I go in)
Nap 1: 10-12 (I always wake him)
Nap 2: 350-420 (I always wake him)
Bt: 650

Normally goes straight down for naps and takes about ten minutes at bedtime. He has always rolled about a bit before settling at bt but at the moment he pulls himself up and then sits back down again a good five or more times and takes twenty ish minutes to go to sleep xx

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2015, 19:05:20 pm »
I think I would try the capping of the first nap for a few days and see if it makes a difference hun.

If we shave off 30mins,off that nap then we could look at doing something like this?

Wu 6
Nap 10-11.30
Nap 3.30-4
BT 7

I think just adding a little extra A onto the last one might help, but tbh it's not that bad re settling for BT at night.. My DD has always taken 30mims.. When it gets to 60mims I know something needs to change and/or developmental factors are at play.

Maybe just that little tweak might help a little? You've changed quite a bit recently so I don't want to change too much. He might also settle a bit easier for that second nap too? Dyt it's worth thing it for a few days to see? We can always revert back to what you had before xx

Offline Kfro

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2015, 19:43:04 pm »
I think it is definitely worth a shot. I will give it a go tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

Out of interest what amount of total sleep was your dd getting just before she transitioned to 1 nap? Xx

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2015, 07:51:27 am »
Just before we went to one nap, our routine was quite similar to the one I posted before. So 2hrs DT sleep. 11hrs ONS. Towards the end we were only doing a 15mins CN so 1hr 45mins, then eventually got to 2-2.5hrs one nap days. 2.5hrs was too much in the end so had to start capping it to 2hrs but she did manage to keep that routine for just over a year so that was nice!!

Good luck and keep me posted xx

Offline Kfro

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2015, 09:16:07 am »
So last night was much better :). He was asleep in ten minutes and slept straight through for 10.5 hours (which is his standard). I'm just slightly worried that his total sleep in 24 hours is now only 12.5 hours..... And that will decrease when I cut the catnap further. Is that ok? Xx

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2015, 06:45:30 am »
I think it'll be ok for now. Just keep an eye on his mood. Technically without the NW's he'll be sleeping more atm.

I wouldn't change anything for now, perhaps hold this for a week or so to see if things settle down? Cutting the CN now doesn't seem necessary if he's not messing around at BT, yet  ;) xx

Offline Kfro

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2015, 15:47:59 pm »
Complete catnap refusal today for the first time.... Even a drive didn't work. I upped his first a to 4 hours 10 today as he has only been doing 10.5 hour nights and waking just before 530. I'm not sure if this has meant that some ot has built up and that is what caused today's disaster or what. I put him down for his cn at 3 hours 50 a time (as I have been for the past week) and he looked like he was going to settle but then started crying. I tried sshing over the monitor and going in and picking him up but he wouldn't calm down. He cried for the first ten minutes of the car journey and then just sat and looked out of the window :s. Don't know where to go from here.

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2015, 11:48:05 am »
I'd keep trying for the CN hun. Even the quiet time in bed I think helps and do EBT.

I'd also keep trying to extend that first A too. 15mims again, then after another couple of days, extend again. It is yucky this stage in the transition and some OT is to be expected but you are giving him the opportunity to sleep, it's up to him to take it. There's only so much you can do hun, I feel for you though I got really fed up around that stage of nap refusal xx

Offline Kfro

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2015, 09:02:37 am »
Ugh..... He is acting sooooo tired :(. I'm really worried I'm pushing him too quickly. He messed about a bit at bt last night.... Looked like he was asleep after five mins but then ten mins later he was up and playing again. So I thought that I should push his a time up again today.... First a time will be 4 hours 30 from get up. This will mean that we can only fit in a twenty minute cn which I thought would help with bt but now I'm not sure. He is still a week shy of ten months and I know the average a times for his age are 3-4 hours. Maybe I have misread the situation and am pushing him too young? I'm really doubting myself :(. He has got teeth coming through which I know blurs things too.

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2015, 19:21:01 pm »
How long is the A time before  BT hun?

Some OT is to be expected sweetie, you're not doing anything wrong. At this stage in the transition I started apop a CN in the car around 9/9.30 for 15mins so I could get her to a reasonable nap time and not be so OT before BT. Dyt that's something you could do? I was exactly at your stage at 10mo too hun so please don't doubt yourself. You're giving him the opportunity to sleep. It's up to him to take it ok?

If he wakes at 5.30 tomorrow, try the apop CN in the car at 9am for 20mi s, then hopefully that should  get you to a 12/12.15pm nap time then see how long he sleeps. Worth a go? Xx

Offline Kfro

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2015, 04:59:26 am »
I don't know if he would go down that early. How would I know when to fro the cn if I could get him to take it then? And I'm guessing the long nap is brought forward? I feel so bad for him :( xx