Author Topic: 2-1 nap transition.... Am nap refusal  (Read 5453 times)

Offline Kfro

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
Re: 2-1 nap transition.... Am nap refusal
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2015, 09:02:37 am »
Is it too early to just put him down at 4hrs 30 and let him sleep for as long as he likes? And then just do a 10 minute cn to get to bt if need be? Is that a really bad idea? Xx

Offline Kellyjs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2015, 07:21:27 am »
You could definitely try that hun. The danger is a short nap first thing, but if he is OT he may well sleep a bit longer for that one anyway. How did it go? Xx

Offline Kfro

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2015, 10:02:50 am »
I let him have two hours yesterday morning and then a ten minute cn in the car late afternoon. Night was bad but I'm pretty certain it was teeth as he was crying out a lot between 930 and 1130pm. I'm doing the same today as at least it lets him get a bit more day sleep and an earlier night so he has the opportunity to catch up a bit. I am tempted to just let him sleep as long as he wants though.... I think he would probably do 2.5 hours. It's really tough to know how tired he is when he is cranky because of teeth and the wonder week storm.

Did your dds total sleep increase when she went onto one nap? At the moment ds only does 13 hours total so a 2.5 hour nap will leave a short night so one nap and ebt won't work :s.... Or does the long a to bed lead to a longer night? Xx

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2015, 16:21:25 pm »
Yk mine did start sleeping more overall for a bit until it stabilised out a bit. She was pulling a 2.5hr nap and a 11hr night. Nights stared shortening so I capped the nap at 2hrs but by moving the nap later as I knew she couldn't handle the longer A to BT.

Because of this I'm always wary of a too lomg of a before BT. Pushing the first a for us just resulted in a longer nap.

If yours does sleep 2.5hrs, I'd ditch the CN and do a slightly earlier BT hun. Too much day sleep can rob them of night sleep so it's a case of finding the right balance for yours. Some prefer more DT sleep and can do just fine on 10hrs ONS, I just liked my Y time in the evenings too much! If he is a bit OT, a couple of days catch up will be great, I just don't think it'll be sustainable in the  long term to expect 2.5-3hrs DT sleep and a reasonable length of night too.

Keep me posted ok? X

Offline Kfro

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2015, 12:29:32 pm »
Ugh I'm so confused.

We moved to one nap last weekend as the total sleep he was getting in 24 hours was really low and he was exhausted. It went really well. For five days he slept for 2-3 hours for his nap and was in bed 4.5 hours after he woke up from his nap. He was falling asleep at bt within five mins and was back to more than 13 hours total sleep. He was also a much happier baby. Yesterday he woke up crying after 1 hour 50. I shh'd him over the monitor and he went back to sleep for another half an hour. He woke up crying again and I couldn't resettle so I got him up. He was in bed for six and got over eleven hours sleep but it was broken with coughing fits and one bought of crying. I think he is teething again so I put it down to this and figured we were in for a rough few days. Put him down for his nap at the normal time and he woke up after 1 hour 40 but this time he just started playing! He played for ten mins and then went back to sleep for twenty mins and then woke up and played again. He is now laying quietly but I'm pretty sure he isn't asleep!!!! What???!!!! He can't be undertired!!!! He is on 5 hours a time from get up in the morning and he is normally awake for at least ten minutes before I get him up. What do I do? Is he self-regulating after getting more night sleep?

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2015, 13:10:16 pm »
Definitely could be a little UT hun, or teething cold be a possibility too.

How about tomorrow trying some ibuprofen 20mins before the nap? If that doesn't work I'd look at extending that first A by 15mins again.

Fwiw hun, my DD did this. After a week, she needed the A time extending again first thing. It was 6hrs in the end, where it stayed xx

Offline Kfro

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2015, 16:58:18 pm »
It just seems crazy that he could need more a time!! I have been keeping it low key and taking him for a walk in the morning so I think I will skip the walk tomorrow and see if that makes him more tired. What age was your dd when she was doing 6 hours a? What did she do after the nap? Is this when you had to start capping it? Xx

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2015, 07:49:54 am »
Yes actually it was around now we had to cap it at 2hrs. I can't quite remember but think she was around 11.5/12 mo when we hit 6hrs A. It did coincide with the 12mo GS/ww where she was sleeping loads to start with then realised that wasn't going to last forever! Xx

Offline Kfro

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2015, 06:04:26 am »
Out of interest what a time did your dd do before bed? We are at 5 hours am and 4 40 pm. Ews are back so I was going to increase first a but then they are really out of balance? Xx

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2015, 06:28:57 am »
Yk I haven't seen many bubbas that do equal first and last A. Many have it out of balance per se. We started with 4hrs to BT, then it went to 4.5hrs as I realised early on in the transition that 5hrs to BT caused OT NW's in the early part of the night.

I want to say though I had to put my DD down earlier than some people do (and still do) as it takes her 30mins to wind down in bed at night.

How old is he now hun? Any chance teething could be at play before you tweak much more? Xx

Offline Kfro

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2015, 06:36:17 am »
Oh he is still rediculously young to be on one nap.... He isn't even 10.5 months yet. He has been pulling 3 hour naps which is awesome but then the Ews are comingback. He always wakes early around five iah but was going back to sleep pretty quickly. Now he is very restless between 5 and 6. But yes it could definitely be teeth xx

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2015, 18:32:42 pm »
Can you give me your easy hun? It might be that it's just a little too much day sleep and he's finally self-regulating? If we could push out the day a tad more, maybe cap the nap to 2.5hrs, it might help lengthen the nights? But that all depends on how much ONS he's getting atm xx

Offline Kfro

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2015, 19:29:32 pm »
I think it probably is too much day sleep.... I have just been clinging onto letting him have what he wants as it has been so long since I have been able to do that! I also haven't wanted to change anything whilst another tooth is trying to cut through. He woke up early from his nap today. He slept solidly for 2 hours 15 minutes and then was messing about for twenty minutes before I got him up (he kept looking like he was going to resettle). He therefore went to bed a bit earlier so we will see what that does to the night. On days where he has woken after 2 hours 40 ish he has settled back to sleep after waking early so fingers crossed. Our easy on days where he does 3 hours nap is as follows:

Wu 6
Milk 615
Breakfast 8
Milk 1045
Nap 11-2
Lunch 2
Dinner 430
Milk 615
Bt 630 (asleep within 5)

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2015, 05:55:37 am »
I can definitely see why you're clinging onto that nap hun! Not judging at all, I'm desperately clinging onto DD's nap although she's ready to have it cut shorter again  ::)

Point is, your day length is good so it might be too much day sleep really. I'd be interested to hear how last night went xx

Offline Kfro

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2015, 06:13:04 am »
Last night was better but he was still up early he was asleep a good 20 minutes earlier and slept in for an extra 25 minutes so overall more sleep. I just wish he would wake himself after 2.5 hours nap and I would feel much better about it! Maybe if I am a bit noisier from that point onwards he will start stirring! Xx