Author Topic: Baby rejects breastfeeding  (Read 4293 times)

Offline obladi

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 21, 2015, 12:36:00 pm »
Hi,
My LO is 12mo, she has been breastfeed exclusively. Recently she has been biting me alot while nursing and each time I hurt and screamed, she was afraid and cried. For the last 2 days she has totally rejecting the breast, did not drink breastmilk in any form (bottle, cup, spoon). I tried to make her a smoothy with BM, she had only 50ml. In total she has less than 200ml of milk per day.

Along with rejecting the breast she also rejected food, she had only 20% of her usual meal. She has been a bit more tired than usual and less playful.

I feel very sad because I think it's my fault to make her scared of the breast, what should I do to get her to breastfeed again?

Thank you and look forward for your reply.

Offline cath~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
Re: Baby rejects breastfeeding
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 12:41:56 pm »
Sounds like she could be teething if she's rejecting food too - do you think she could be? Or ill maybe?

IIWM I'd keep offering the breast with lots of cuddles etc and let her take it when she's ready.  You may want to express a bit if it goes on for a while though.

Have you seen this?  It might help if she bites again in the future.
How do teeth change things? – teething and biting.

This might also be helpful (although lots applies more for younger babies rather than one year olds where BFing has already been well established and they are on solids)
Is my baby weaning or is it a nursing strike?
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 20:11:05 pm »
Totally agree, sounds like maybe she's ill and/or teething.  I would give her lots and lots of cuddles, if you use a sling or carrier, maybe do extra carrier time so she and you can get close with no pressure.
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline obladi

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 02:22:39 am »
Thank you Cathn and Weaver, I took her to the doctor and turn out she is teething. When she had other teeth I hardly notice any changes so I thought it could be no problem this time.

Offline cath~

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 10:43:05 am »
It might be molars maybe. They can be worse than the first teeth (incisors).

Hope it doesn't last too long and she's back BFing soon.

Have you had any luck with a bf since your post?
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline obladi

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 13:10:37 pm »
I feel stress already. It has been 3 full days no BF, no bottle, very little solid food. The only way to get her to have BM is a mango smoothie. When I gave her BM in the cup she sipped, grimaced and put away, it is like she disgusted the milk :( In total she had abt 280ml of BM mix with mango today (it's 8pm where we r now).
I tried everything, skin to skin, bath with her, offer the breast when she is sleepy, tried different position...

Offline obladi

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 14:20:27 pm »
One thing I dont understand, if she went on strike because she is afraid of me screaming while nursing, why she rejected drinking BM as well?

Offline cath~

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 17:37:14 pm »
((Hugs)) that sounds tough

Sometimes LOs do go off a lot of food when they're teething. They make up for it when they're feeling better though - don't worry!

I am asking around to see if anyone has experience of this or more thoughts wrt the BFing aspect that they can share.

Hang in there though. Teething will pass and I'm sure she'll make up for things then.
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 18:43:31 pm »
Oh Honey I feel so sorry for you! I am not breastfeeding and wasn't at 12mo but he also went through some awful phase of not eating. We were on holidays, and he did ful 5 days on 2x bottle of milk per day and one yoghurt/sweet vanilla one/. No interested in solids, screaming like hell if I was proposing any food earlier than 4-5h after first meal..: gosh! But it finally passed away so yes it's possible that she can be just teething, and therefore isn't hungry. Don't worry - just offer breast whenever you think she needs it but don't be too pushy. She will take it when it's needed.
~Marta

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 20:21:48 pm »
Oh dear, that sounds so tough for you.

It does sounds like baby is not liking any food really, don't worry too much about her 'not liking' BM.  I would make sure to express to keep your supply up (if that's what you want).  Maybe a BM ice lolly would be a good idea? It would be cool for her mouth so she might like it.
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 21:49:16 pm »
If she isn't used to BM in a cup she may just be reacting to it being unexpected.

Some ladies find Lo goes off the taste of BM when mum gets her menstrual cycle back. So something to consider if that applies.

Have you tried a dream feed type feed when she is sleepy? Sometimes LOs will take milk then during a strike.

See our FAQ here for other tips. Is my baby weaning or is it a nursing strike?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2015, 00:13:58 am »
Any sign she could be ill? If she's not wanting to eat anything, could be an upset tummy or sore throat at play. How's her hydration - still producing enough wet nappies, etc?

DS stopped nursing suddenly around this age but was still eating plenty of solids and drinking water so I did don't offer, don't refuse as DH was thinking it would be good to wean the BF at that time and then DS worked out I wasn't offering any more and wanted BFs more than ever... not sure if that's a good idea for you though given the lack of other nutritional intake.

Offline obladi

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2015, 07:47:42 am »
Any sign she could be ill? If she's not wanting to eat anything, could be an upset tummy or sore throat at play. How's her hydration - still producing enough wet nappies, etc?

DS stopped nursing suddenly around this age but was still eating plenty of solids and drinking water so I did don't offer, don't refuse as DH was thinking it would be good to wean the BF at that time and then DS worked out I wasn't offering any more and wanted BFs more than ever... not sure if that's a good idea for you though given the lack of other nutritional intake.

I took her to the doctor yesterday and doctor said she was ok, if it continue for longer period I think I will check her one more time to make sure that she is fine.

If she isn't used to BM in a cup she may just be reacting to it being unexpected.

Some ladies find Lo goes off the taste of BM when mum gets her menstrual cycle back. So something to consider if that applies.

Have you tried a dream feed type feed when she is sleepy? Sometimes LOs will take milk then during a strike.

See our FAQ here for other tips. Is my baby weaning or is it a nursing strike?

Hi Ali,
I did tried when she is sleepy but it did not work. She suck her finger instead and got annoyed when I tried to get her on the breast. I am not in menstrual cycle so I guess it's not the case (I wish it is because at least when it finish she would take BM again).

Offline obladi

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2015, 11:39:50 am »
Today I was desperate as she totally skipped her breakfast. I gave her the smoothy and it took her 1 hour to drink it, I gave her plenty of water but it seem like she does not need to drink alot. From morning until 1pm she pee 1 time!

At lunch there were a bit of solid came in but nothing else for the rest of the day.

Still reject the breast. Day number 4. I read in the link above it said nursing strike last from 2 to 4 days only and it's day 4 to us.

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2015, 20:56:54 pm »
Hugs. It must be hard.

Are you giving her meds or any other pin relief for the teething? Have they cut through yet?

Offline obladi

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2015, 00:14:03 am »
Hi Ali, I have the teething gel however I dont see she has to much discomfort from the teeth. It's not cutting through yet.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 02:47:35 am by obladi »

Offline obladi

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2015, 02:46:31 am »
In the meantime while she doesn't take any milk at all, do you guys have any suggestions in term of nutrition that I can give LO? Do you know any successful stories to get babies back to nurse again?
Thank you

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2015, 19:48:23 pm »
Is she eating solids again now? High fat foods like avocado and and dairy are good subs if she won't BF. I'd just keep offering a variety of food though. She won't starve herself.

Offline cath~

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2015, 07:45:41 am »
Hello, I've been thinking of you.
I agree with Ali re food. It's not uncommon for toddlers to eat v little for a few days whilst ill/teething and then they make up for it later. Just keep offering a variety but try not to stress about it or "push" the food too hard, as she may pick up on that. Better to just offer and let your dd decide if she wants to eat. You don't want to make it a power struggle.

I found these links re bf strike which you might find helpful (or may have already found yourself)
http://www.lalecheleague.org/nb/nbnovdec92p173.html
https://www.llli.org/faq/strike.html

Are you expressing to help maintain your supply?
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old