Author Topic: Routine change (11 weeks old) - which way to go?  (Read 1134 times)

Offline annelaure

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Routine change (11 weeks old) - which way to go?
« on: July 21, 2015, 15:40:23 pm »
Hello!
I am new here and already VERY thankful for EASY!
I have learnt about BW for this baby (my 4th) and got my little girl (now 11 weeks old) on a wonderful EASY routine from the beginning, but am totally stuck about the next step to take. This routine was/is approximately

E 7
A
S in crib (swaddled)
E 10:15
A
S in stroller (swaddled)
E 13:15
A
S in crib (swaddled)
E 16:30
A
S unswaddled on the floor in living-room (progressively and naturally shortened down to catnap/irregular length depending on noise level).
E 19
A
S catnap in baby carrier
E 21
A
E 22:15 then S swaddled in crib for the night.
Usually no waking during the night if I stick well enough to the routine, otherwise (very exceptionally) waking at 5 or 6.
The first 3 S were/are 1:30- 2 hours
she is exclusively breastfed

My question: over time, the last catnap went from 20:15-20:45 to 20:45-21:15 and then no more catnap the last 3-4 weeks. I have tried to let the rest of the routine stay the same (until approx. 19 E and A afterwards) and watch for a pattern to develop naturally but it doesn't happen. Probably because the nap before that is irregular due to it being in the living-room, and the actual times in the routine have become more flexible over the last weeks (first E staying consistent, other times moving up to 30 minutes-1 hour; evening E 19:30 at the latest, last E 22:30 at the latest). During the late afternoon naptime I don't register when she sleeps and when she is awake and looks around and/or plays with her sisters.

Now I don't know what to do to get back on a routine for the evening.

I would like her to sleep or eat at 21 due to our family schedule, and have her last E begin at 22:30 at the latest (could be  a dreamfeed).

I have thought about moving the late afternoon nap in her crib to get it more reliable. But I am afraid of doing this because I think she might sleep longer/more deeply then and then wake at night, which I don't want at all.

Has anyone advice about what I should do/try to find a new consistent routine while maintaining her night sleep?
I will make a log of her routine over the next days to be able to give more details.

(and sorry if my question seems to be a real "luxury problem" question. I am well aware that many moms would be over the moon to be in my situation, even with an unconsistent evening routine...)

« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 16:43:18 pm by annelaure »

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: Routine change (11 weeks old) - which way to go?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 08:06:00 am »
Looks like she's maybe telling you she wants a longer night, EASY routine tends to have a ~12hr night at this age.

Pretty reasonable to try something like this:
7 - wake
8:30/45 - nap
10:15 eat
11:45 - nap
1:15 - eat
2:45/3 - nap
4:30 - eat
6 - catnap
6:30 eat (if tanking up)
7:30 BT feed & bed
10:30 - dreamfeed
Night feeds as appropriate

Offline annelaure

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Routine change (11 weeks old) - which way to go?
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 09:12:45 am »
Thank you!
I think the earlier bedtime is exactly the thing I was missing!