Author Topic: 7.5 months night waking  (Read 1653 times)

Offline Jess_C

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 23, 2015, 07:09:27 am »
Hi

DS was STTN previously until recently when he just refused to df with a bottle. He is not a bottle refusal but lately won't take it at df time. If I offer breast. He takes but i think is more comfort than really drinking. After the df. It took ages to resettle back to sleep. So I decided to drop it since he don't want it but he woke at 3 am. I fed but still took ages to resettle.

Lately. He just can self settle at night and keeps waking up in the first two hrs. We had to pat him. His naps he can self settle so I don't get it.

His routine during the day is 3 hrs awake time , 2 naps which ranges from 45 min to 2 hrs. Is quite random , some days is long but most days is 45 min.

Is he going through night separation anxiety ? Is there such thing . Appreciate any comments.

Offline newkidontheblock

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 42
Re: 7.5 months night waking
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 04:11:52 am »
This is likelier to be down to routine issues. Could you post your routine in EASY format for us to take a look at? There's a big difference between 45 minutes and 2 hours. It's possibly OT due to not enough day sleep but a look at your routine would help figure it out

Offline Jess_C

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 07:31:50 am »
Hi

This is his routine give and take

8am wake up/ breast feed
Solid: 9.30
Sleep: 11.30 to 12.15/ 12.30 ( somedays can nap 1 hr inch)

Bottle: 12.30
Solid:1.30
Sleep: 3.30 to 4.30 ( give and take sometimes 45 min)

Dinner: 5.30
Bottle: 6.45
Night sleep: 7.30 (usually takes a long time to self settle. Most days hv to pat)

Df: btw 11.30 to 12.30( somedays he wakes ard this time , so we just feed him and treat it as a df). If we are successful at the df, he sleeps through the next morning till 8am.

But for naps he can self settle , only night he can't. Why is this? Separation anxiety at night?

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 09:00:26 am »
Okay, so what is his A exactly - 3.5? I think that if you are getting short naps, it is possible that he needs more A time. You could add 10-15 minutes and hold for 3-4 days to see if it lengthens out. Basically what I think is that he is getting too little day sleep at the moment - 1.45 mins total or 90 minutes total is too little, which is why it is important to find the correct A time so that his naps lengthen out. Besides this, regarding your NWs, it is possible that they are due to OT, especially with the 3 hour gap to bed after a 45 minute nap. WDYT?

Offline Jess_C

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 17:27:28 pm »
Hi .

His A time is 3.5 hrs and yes he cats nap. I tried pu/pd or pat and have not been very successful.
If I extend his a time almost 4 hrs. He won't be eating 4 hrly anymore during the day. Am I missing something?

Lately he stops his NW after the DF . But prior to that he takes ages to fall asleep and can't self settle unlike his naps. And even after patting to sleep he keeps waking up the first two hrs after bed time. Could be overtired frm the lack of nap? Or he can't self settle at night somehow .? Separation anxiety?

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 08:14:54 am »
His A time is 3.5 hrs and yes he cats nap. I tried pu/pd or pat and have not been very successful.
Because he is probably not tired enough to sleep at the point, which is why you get resistance or short naps. Neither PU/PD nor shush/pat work unless baby is tired and ready to sleep.

If I extend his a time almost 4 hrs. He won't be eating 4 hrly anymore during the day. Am I missing something?
Don't extend straight to 4 hours - extend slowly by adding 15 minutes and holding at that point for a while before adding again. You'll know you've hit the sweet spot when he goes to sleep easily and does a reasonably long nap. And yes, the time between feeds does stretch out and you do have to get creative with milk & solids around this time. For instance, at 7 months, our A was around 4 hours. So DD would wake at 7am and nurse, then solids an hour later and then her next nurse would be at around 1/1.30 when she woke from her nap - so almost 6/6.5 hours between milk feeds.

Wakings soon after bed are generally indicative of OT, possibly due to the low amount of day sleep as compared to length of day. The solution to all of this is simply to extend A times:)

Offline Jess_C

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 11:12:48 am »
Thanks! I ll give a go on extending his awake time. I did try 3 hrs 40 min but it seemed worse. Nap 30 mins today but he got running nose so sm not sure if thats what is troubling him. I might try it out.

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 11:41:59 am »
You have to give it a while so that his body can adjust