Author Topic: 3 MO suddenly waking throughout the night- bedtime timing?  (Read 1258 times)

Offline eogan0622

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
3 MO suddenly waking throughout the night- bedtime timing?
« on: July 23, 2015, 12:09:52 pm »
Hi All,

My 3 month old daughter (13 weeks) has been a great sleeper and I haven't had any concerns...until now!  She went for 2 weeks straight 9pm-5am and it was glorious.  After those 2 weeks she cut back to more 9-3 or 4 and then up around 730, also glorious.  However, the past couple nights she has been up almost every 3 hours and hungry each time!  I know there are a lot of developmental milestones happening (she JUST started rolling front to back this week) so I get that...but I'm also wondering if timing of bedtime has something to do with it.  I had been doing her last feed (EBF) between 815 and 845, but this week I started doing her last feed earlier, between 730-8.  It's not a huge shift but could that impact her night feedings that much?  My reason for changing bedtime is that I feel strange about her final nap- it seems weird to be to put her to sleep swaddled for a nap at 7pm, knowing I'll be putting her to bed not that long after.  When she does go down for a nap at 7pm, it's either short (20-30 mins) or I end up having to wake her up around 815 to get bedtime rolling.  Other than that evening wackiness, she does great on EASY....her schedule is usually as follows:

E: 730AM
A: 730-830AM
S: 830-1030

E: 1030
A: 1030-1150
S: 1150-1:00

E: 1:00
A: 1:00-2:30
S: 2:30-3:00

E: 3:00
A: 3-345
S: 345-545

**** THIS IS WHERE I STRUGGLE- prior to this week I would put her down for a nap around 7-8, then start bedtime routine around 815/830... however the past couple nights I've taken this 7-8 nap out and started bedtime routine around 7, feed at 730, down for sleep by 8.  Is this a smart transition or should I go back to letting her nap at 7pm??????  It just seems silly to me when I have to wake her up from the 7pm nap to start bedtime routine- like if she is that tired, then I should just let her sleep for the night, hence the change in bed times.

Any help and advice greatly appreciated!!!!! THANK YOU :D

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 585
Re: 3 MO suddenly waking throughout the night- bedtime timing?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 12:15:22 pm »
At this age you are looking to take out that final nap so think you are on the right track there.

There is a HUGE growth spurt at 3 months so I think you've hit that given she is hungry each time she wakes. I'd say she's hit that and it's just co incidence with you changing the bedtime.  I'd just feed and it should pass in a few days x

Offline spannarosy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 10:15:58 am »
Hi there - are you still having this trouble with bedtime?
I read your post and could have written it myself.. am going through the same frustrating thing. We stick to a nice schedule all day, but come 6pm we feed, bath and SUPPOSED to go to bed but he fights till about 9m.

I have just started (for two nights now) trying to give him his 'dreamfeed' early at about 8:30 instead of trying to get him to sleep till 10 (since he is only asleep for an hour anyway at that point) but NO idea if/when things wil work/start improving.

What did you end up doing? did he come out of it on his own or are you still dealing with this?

Offline eogan0622

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 13:25:00 pm »
Hi!

We have stuck with the early bedtime (630-7pm) for about 4 weeks now and it's much better.  Her initial wakings between bedtime and first feed have decreased a lot, however her nightwakings are still there! I'm chalking that up to growth spurt and sleep regression though, since she is totally ready for bed when I put her down at 630 or 7.  As a general rule of thumb, I start bath time about 1 hour 15- 1 hour 30 minutes after she gets up from last nap- so if she gets up from nap at before 4:30 pm, I usually encourage a little cat nap (in stroller or during errands, etc) to get her up to that mark.  This week has been particularly rough for nightwakings, which I'm also attributing to a) we just moved and she has been in our room up until last night since we didn't have curtains yet for her room and b.) we have been using the pacifier at night, so she's been waking a lot when she drops it- we stopped using it as of last night for bedtime, still using for naps).  However- she is usually able to go 6:30 or 7:00- 11:30 or 12:30.  I haven't been doing a DF but I'm thinking of starting since we usually go to bed around 10:30 and then having to wake up an hour or so later is tough- might try doing DF right before I head to bed.  She is up again between 2:30 and 3:30 and then 5:00-5:30 and usually sleeps again until 6:00-7:00. 

Have you had success with DF? 

Offline theu.s.lees

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 12
    • Neyssa Lee Photography
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 04:28:45 am »
Hi there! I'm jumping in here. But I went thru this not too long ago. Have you tried pushing her A times a bit? They seem a bit short for right now and that might help with those NWs. It felt like around this time I went from 1-1.5 hrs to 2-2.5 hrs A time in a very short time frame. We are still working on getting the A time right but it did help with the NW a bit as we pushed them and got rid of the cat nap. Hope that helps. Hang in there.