Author Topic: Question about wake-up time  (Read 899 times)

Offline joshuamomom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 23, 2015, 23:23:02 pm »
Hello!  I have a question on waking up LO in the morning.

Up until recently, my 3-month-old son has been going to bed at 7:30-8 pm, waking up at 4:30-5 am for a feed, and then waking up for the day at 7:30-8 am.  In the past few days, he has stayed asleep at 8 am, and I have been waking him up to stick to the schedule (wake up at 7:30-8 am, 6 feeds at roughly 5 am, 8 am, 11 am, 2 pm, 5 pm, 8 pm; the dreamfeed didn't work with him so we don't do it).  He doesn't fuss or cry, and in fact gives me a smile, when I wake him up.

Should I stick to waking up him at 8 am even though he's still asleep, or let him wake up by himself and setting a new schedule based on his new wake-up time?

Concerns I have with waking him up at 8 am:  He had stretched out his nighttime sleep (the 8 pm - 4:30/5 am stretch) by himself and I don't know if imposing a wake-up time at 8 am will mess up this progression.

Concerns I have with not waking him up at 8 am:  Deviating from the schedule (the EASY routine suggests 7 pm bedtime and 7 am wake-up time - we are off by 1 hour and without the dreamfeed but follows roughly the routine), and we are starting daycare in a couple of weeks and will have to get him there by 9 am.

Any advice/thoughts/experience to share on this?  Thank you so much!!!

Offline centrestage88

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 01:55:33 am »
Sorry can't give advise, but I would like to say that I'm in the same position! My lo sleep at athe same time as yours, wakes up for a feed at the same time and I have to get him up at the same time in the morning.( and he's always asleep).

Offline newkidontheblock

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 42
Re: Question about wake-up time
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 04:09:46 am »
Hello there
Should I stick to waking up him at 8 am even though he's still asleep, or let him wake up by himself and setting a new schedule based on his new wake-up time?
I think it is best to have a fixed WU time and BT - this does wonders for setting their internal body clock.  And besides, you would need him waking up on time when daycare starts. Best to start as you mean to go and set a fixed time which would work for your day's schedule.

Concerns I have with not waking him up at 8 am:  Deviating from the schedule (the EASY routine suggests 7 pm bedtime and 7 am wake-up time - we are off by 1 hour and without the dreamfeed but follows roughly the routine)
Please don't worry about this. Tracy has simply outlined a rough routine to follow. You are doing the same, just with slightly shifted times. Just aim for a 12-12.5 hour day and you should be fine:) You could always shift your day backwards (in case 8am is too late once daycare starts) by waking him earlier and putting him to bed earlier but that is your choice.

Offline joshuamomom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 04:34:51 am »
Hello centrestage88 and newkidontheblock!  Thank you so much for your comments and responses!

newkidontheblock, thank you for your advice.  I will stick to the WU time at 8 am and BT at 8 pm.  It has worked pretty well for us and hopefully will continue to work well :)

centrestage88, wow our LOs have the same sleep schedule!  Hope this post and newkid's response are helpful to you as well :)

Thanks again!