Author Topic: Falling asleep on own while OT - help pls!  (Read 1181 times)

Offline newbie_momsie

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Falling asleep on own while OT - help pls!
« on: July 25, 2015, 18:34:16 pm »
Hello!

DD is 7 months old and usually is an independent sleeper for naps and bedtime. But she has trouble when she is OT. She would wake up from a short nap and cry. How can I help her learn to fall back to sleep if she is crying? I usually gave to rock her to comfort her and if i put her down drowsy she cries. I try very hard not to let her A time get too long. She does 3 hrs to 3.25 hrs of A time at her age.

Any suggestions on how to help her fall back to sleep when she cries without AP? Thx!!!!!

Offline newkidontheblock

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 42
Re: Falling asleep on own while OT - help pls!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 03:53:51 am »
Soothing touch or words?

Offline newbie_momsie

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 04:31:29 am »
And let her continue crying while i sooth by touch and words? So far that's all I can do without holding her.

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 05:07:47 am »
It's always best to try to get them down before OT but after that, only she can decide to sleep yk? But you can be with her reassuring her in whichever way works. With mine, at that age, I always ended up picking her back up, holding for a bit and putting back down because I felt I had to help get sleep. It took me a long time to understand that it was possible to comfort her in the crib with patting/stroking and now we only comfort with words. It did lead to some crying in the beginning as she was quite bewildered with the change in our method but she soon caught on. It's important to simply be consistent in your method

Offline newbie_momsie

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 05:17:05 am »
Thank you so much. Your words are very comforting. Yes I agree that I need to be consistent. All I can do is be there for her and it is up to her to fall back to sleep. Yes, i try not to get to the point of OT. Some days it is hard when we have to be out at a birthday or running errands. 3 hr A time isnt much time after feeding, diaper changing and needing time for wind down. Time goes by so fast and we always have to rush home.

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 07:48:34 am »
Time goes by so fast and we always have to rush home.
Completely agree:) It was SUCH a relief when we dropped to 1 nap, and I can hardly wait for no naps! Even in the sling, DD wouldn't sleep if we were out and about. It had to be a calm, quiet walk/place. I know it interferes with all the other stuff we have to do but it is only for a short while:) I was a big chicken though. I preferred to stay home or at least be home much in advance before a nap than risk all the nap stress/drama:p

Offline newbie_momsie

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 12:49:48 pm »
Me too! I rather stay at home. I am a slave to DD nap and bed times. During the week I stay home or run very short errands so I have enough time to do a proper wind down. It is harder on weekends when there are family gatherings or days with a dr appt :(  Also sometimes DH insists DD will be ok if we are out a little longer! Yeah right....until he sees the after math....then we argue....which os also exhausting.....so we try to get home on time for most outings.

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2015, 14:12:22 pm »
She's already 7 months, so don't worry. This won't be the case for too much longer:)