Author Topic: Next step after moving to 1 nap  (Read 1277 times)

Offline newkidontheblock

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 42
Next step after moving to 1 nap
« on: July 26, 2015, 15:20:08 pm »
Hi ladies. I'm looking for some guidance as to our next step with naps. DD is 14 months old, and has been on 1 nap for 2 months now. Her A at the moment is 5.45. We don't have a fixed WU time anymore TBH and most days she is up somewhere between 7 & 8. No matter what the nap length, she seems to need at least 5 hours to bed also, so I've been capping her nap at 2.30/3 for a BT of 7.30/8 depending on WU of that day. I thought that as they get older, A times don't matter as much as overall tiredness but with her, she is so clock oriented. So where do I go from here? Do all babies adjust to set naps - and if so, do I just pick a time and go with it -- or do some just go by A times forever? Just..could someone tell me what to do?

Offline Kellyjs

• Showing Appreciation 80
Re: Next step after moving to 1 nap
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 17:40:45 pm »
Set nap and BT all the way here hun. I don't wake her so much these days as I did do before, just try and go more with the flow. I think it helps them self-regulate too. It's hard if you're always waking them int  he morning, then waking them from their nap yk?

I think what you're doing looks great, especially as you need to have at least 5hrs to BT. We just did it the other way round in that DD always needed 6hrs first thing xx

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 18:45:11 pm »
Hi Hon, we are on one set nap for months now and it's at 12noon for a schedule of WU before 7 (don't know when but there are days when I still wake him) and BT at 7pm. I only couple of times did nap before 12 when he was clearly tired (it wasn't wake up what decided but rather general tiredness I have seen). He is still doing 2h nap but we needed ages for that to clearly settle. He was doing 2h firstly because of being tired (this nap was pushed from 11:15, 11:30, 11:45 to 12:00 finally). Then it seemed maybe UT but I sticked to 12:00 and did have some naps of 1:30 or even 1:15, but I stayed with 12 (nursery time). Finally he settled and is doing a nap of 1:30-2:00+ no matter if is going to sleep at 11:45 or 12:15 (in nursery they are not so stricked with nap time).

In general I believe in set nap strongly however I think it may take time to settle sometimes. I think it should help to make your day more regular which at that age is probably one of the things she will accept and gives her safety impression.

Just give it a go Hon!
~Marta

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 08:22:18 am »
Thanks, ladies. So basically I pick a time and stick to it no matter what? Is it possible to have a set nap without a fixed WU time? I keep sleeping through my alarm. I used to be so consistent with WU but I am exhausted nowadays. Dh & I feel that a 1pm nap would work for us. But I would need to cap it at 2.30 - so is that fine? Basically with her needing 5.45 A before her nap and 5 hours after the nap, there isn't actually too much time for the nap:p

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 08:41:04 am »
I just pick a time and go with it -- or do some just go by A times forever?
Set nap and BT here too. I don't think it's quite as easy as just picking a time though. When I refer to set nap time I mean based on what suits LO so whilst our set nap might have started out at say 12.00 and stayed there a length of time, when DS needed it the set time was moved later.  By the time he dropped his nap his set nap time was 2pm. meaning even set naps can and do change over time but not on a daily basis the way A time routines might.

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 10:43:24 am »
Agree with Creations - set means set for months but not forever.
~Marta

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 11:29:35 am »
Ah! so almost like A times yes?
just happening at a certain time due to set wu?

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 12:56:41 pm »
That's what we do. Set nap at 12, WU set at 7pm (it means that I come into his room and light it up but he wakes at different timing before 7am).
~Marta

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 18:17:19 pm »
We always did set nap with DD from the one nap stage and never woke her in the morning unless we had to.  It meant nap length was variable, later WU would mean shorter now but then set BT meant a shorter day, it all helped her regulate.  I'd go for it x

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2015, 19:39:36 pm »
We had set nap without set morning WU. When set nap began DS was still waking very early and I was constantly trying and hoping to get him to wake later, somewhere between say 5 and 6.30 but nap was set.
When he was older and able to understand timer lights I gradually brought his WU later. Lights coming on in the morning does tend to have the effect of waking him like a set WU but the reality is that if he is super tired he will sleep through the light and if his routine wasn't right for him he would regularly wake earlier or always be woken by the lights - what I mean is lights are set to 7am because that's basically when he wakes as a regular thing without it being 'set' by me. If he was awake earlier than 7am as a one off his nap would still be set at the same time though, it would be super rare for me to make a daily change. Maybe due to illness.

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 14:46:59 pm »
Thanks all of you! I'm still a bit confused TBH but let's see how it goes

Offline ginger428

• Showing Appreciation 16
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2015, 12:14:36 pm »
Curious what your rouine is atm and what you'll think to try next. :)