Author Topic: 16 mo nap messed up!  (Read 3473 times)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 16 mo nap messed up!
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2015, 09:28:15 am »
Have you tried shifting nap time a bit later?

Offline shresmummy

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2015, 03:36:25 am »
I did actually.. And it made no difference. Now today it was at the usual time of around 5.5h A time and he went down ok. He's so unpredictable! Drives me nuts :) perhaps it was a wonder week? Who knows, and with him turning 18 mo in a week I'm not sure what to expect!

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2015, 05:40:06 am »
Could just be the start of 18 month SR my DS was early with his!
x
Zoe

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2015, 08:32:51 am »
Now today it was at the usual time of around 5.5h A time and he went down ok
When you say his 'usual time' of 5.5hr A time, this is what he needed back in July when you started the thread.
I agree that the 18 month regression could well be the cause of sleep being off, the usual advice is to stick with your regular routine and ride it out, but I found after our regression my DS really did need a longer A time and felt if I'd increased it earlier we might well have done better during that phase.
What I'm saying is, if 5.5hrs A was needed 10 wks or so ago and I was already suggesting increasing to 5hr 45 or 6hrs it seems this could still be helpful.
When a LO goes down for naps UT (or fights them) there can be a gradual build up of tiredness, leading to either accepting a nap at an earlier time (because lost sleep is adding up each day) or sleeping well for a short while whilst they catch up on that lost sleep. Then they return to the more usual nap refusal or short naps.

Offline ideazec

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2015, 05:39:36 am »
Hi ladies, my DS is 16 mo. He transitioned to 1 nap around 3 mo ago. Initially he would nap for 40 mins then require resettling but that stopped after 1 month then he started doing a few good nap days here and there where he'd have at least 1h45 mins on his own. And nights were decent too. But for the past month it's all gone to pieces! He was sick a few times, but now it's just not coming together nicely anymore! There is a chance he's teething molars but pain meds don't seem to help.

I'm at a loss as to what to try next :( is his issue A time related? Teething? Can the 18 mo regression come 3 months early  ::) I just can't seem to work him out anymore! He recently learned to walk, but is that going to wreak havoc on his sleep thus much?

Since he turned 15 mo, he's been struggling to get to nap. He keeps  jerking around, I can't tell if he's ut or ot but basically what worked before isn't working anymore. We were doing

Wu 6:30
Nap 11:30-1:30 at least 2 hrs with resettling if needed. Or 1h45 min on his own
Bt 6:30/6:45

Now he's going down a bit later for his nap, because even I'd I take him in at 5 hr A time it's a struggle, he's needing 5.5 hrA time. He's resisting the nap, napping poorly etc. when do they reach around 6hrA time? I think my other two stayed at that for aaaages.. But this monkey is slightly different!

His nights are messed up to. He keeps waking 1.5 hr after going to bed, taking forever to get to sleep, then wakes a few times at night wanting hugs, etc.then at 5 I've been bringing him into my bed just to prevent an ew cos I still bf him then ???

Any ideas would be most appreciated! Thanks ladies :)

I'm facing very a very similar situation as yours. Bub is 16mths going onto 17 soon.
I'm transitioning him to 1 nap soon....

We have NEVER had more than 5 nights of non night wakings since his birth. I wonder what we are doing wrong..

I are here to get insights too.

I hope you'd find the solution to yours.

Offline shresmummy

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2015, 04:10:07 am »
Hi ladies sorry I couldn't reply earlier, we had a freak shill storm and lost internet connection for a few days! But in that time DS magically transformed?! He started waking slightly earlier say around 6/6:15 but I kept nap time still around 12:15 so in essence 6 hA time. And he napped till I had to wake him at 2 hrs. So our routine was sort of like this. His night were better too.

Wu 6/6:15
Nap 12:15-2:15 when I woke him
Bed 7:45

Pity it only lasted a week :( today I did the same thing but he woke after 35 mins and required resettling :( why oh why will a good routine never last for me :(

But I'm still going to stick to 6h A time because I think that's prob the max.. We are nearing 18 mo and canines so wonder what havoc that will wreak! But hopefully if I stay constant it should pass..

What do you think of that plan? Thank again ladies :)

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2015, 07:10:07 am »
I'd probably put him down for his nap a little later, particularly as he started to wake earlier in the morning, the risk is WU may move earlier again if he's UT for the nap.  I'd prob set nap at 12.30/12.45 and hold there.

yes the 18 month regression is tricky, canines are a pain, both can cause big disturbances.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2015, 16:24:07 pm »
Agree with creations and I'd shift nap and keep it set there.

18 month sleep for us was awful, teeth, regressions who knows but it did get better x
Zoe