Author Topic: Early waking-trying wake to sleep but not sure it's working??  (Read 2946 times)

Offline Asha G

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Early waking-trying wake to sleep but not sure it's working??
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2015, 05:57:57 am »
Morning.. Just wanted to add that this morning my lo woke at 540... And fell asleep again at 630... So I will have to wake her again now... But her routine yesterday had to be tweaked (happens every Monday) as we have swimming so she was in bed by 7pm yesterday instead of 8pm...

Offline Kellyjs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2015, 16:24:26 pm »
Ok it is great she's going back to sleep. How did the pm nap go today? Dyt an earlier BT gives her more sleep overall with your Monday routine? I wouldn't mind taking a look at that if you wouldn't mind? Might give us an idea wrt the general routine xx

Offline Asha G

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2015, 20:25:13 pm »
Hello! Her nap this afternoon was decent at 1hr20 ( we were at my mother in laws though and I feel she always sleeps better at home) .
Also I let her sleep in until 730am today- couldn't face waking her again fro, such a deep sleep and tbh I was so tired that I got an extra half hour too! Her morning nap was still at 1030am so 3 hour A time this morn but then back to normal rest of the day (3.5 HR A time)

Her Monday routine is
E 7am bottle
E 8am solids
S 9am - 1015 ( I put her down earlier so she gets a nap before swimming which is at 11..)
E 12pm bottle
S 1pm nap (I let her sleep for 2 hours here so she gets the 3 hrs in total for the day)
E 3pm so,ids
E 4pm bottle
E 6 pm bottle
S 7pm bedtime

The last couple weeks I felt she slept better Monday night and I think she didn't wake until about 630... Although I didn't note it down so not 100% sure... But then today she woke at 540 so not sure if it helps or not plus she ends up having a shorter A time between WU and 1st nap which I know you said can encourage early waking ...

Look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2015, 17:27:29 pm »
This is really interesting hun. I think she's having more sleep overall with your Monday routine. Wdyt? So she is pulling a 12-hr night wih the Monday routine isn't she?

And she's ok with the 4hrs before BT? Any NW's in the early part of the night that you can remember?

The shorter A time can backfire massively as you said with EW. However capping that nap and making it much shorter helps discourage them using that nap to catch up on sleep. I probably wouldn't recommend just 2hrs A for the first one all the time though but it does give us an idea about the amount of sleep she needs overall yk?

It's also good to see that she can handle 2hrs 45mins A on a short nap and with swimming in the middle which does tend to knacker them out  ;).

How did today go? Xx

Offline Asha G

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2015, 06:10:37 am »
I think 11 hour night as she is going to sleep at 7pm but then waking at 6/630 am... Which is def better than she is usually doing but then given she woke at 540am on Tuesday this week I'm not sure that will continue!!
I don't think there was any NWs that night...
Yes she does struggle a little with the 4 HR awake time but she she seems to cope .. I thought it might be because she is getting the 2 hour nap in the afternoon...
Well this morning she woke up at 520am I think 😞😞😞😞😞😞  I think she might have fallen asleep for a short while but was up again by 640ish... Not sure what happened as yesterday the routine was as it usual,y is and has been the last couple weeks and she had started sleeping until 6 at least...
What do you think?
Also by the way what does YK mean?
Do you think If I were to try the Monday routine everyday that might help? Then what should the A time be in the morning and then hoe much should I cap her nap by? Should I also then let her sleep longer in The afternoon as I currently do on the Monday?

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2015, 06:34:40 am »
Yk is you know  ;)

Yes, I was considering the Monday routine. Especially as these EW seem to be the norm with the longer naps. We might have to resign ourselves to the fact she's lower than average sleep needs. It's not a problem as some do start to go through the 2-1 at this age, which is technically what you're doing with the short then longer nap. I'll post a link for you.

As I said before I probably wouldn't do 2hrs A every morning as in time she may start EW from that and it won't give us a true idea if the new routine is actually working. What we could do is move the routine on a bit so there's not the 4hrs A last thing?

How about we try this...

Wu say 7am
A 3hrs 15
Nap 10.15-11
A 3hrs
S 2-4 capped at 2hrs
A 3.5hrs
BT 7.30 asleep by 7.45

Wdyt? We could hold it for a few days to see? Obviously Monday will be a bit different but I think we'll have chance to see if it works for a few days before then? Xx

From 2 to 1 nap transition (10-12m and older)

Offline Asha G

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2015, 07:35:53 am »
Ah thanks!
My worry would be that she won't last the 3 HR A time after a 45 min nap with just me...! When we go swimming she has other stimulus which I think is what helps her stay awake and then she has her milk and that perks her up a little bit longer... So she manages the 3 hrs... But definitely willing to try !!
I think I wil start today and see how it goes and il make note over the next few days and then post again! Fingers crossed!!

Offline Asha G

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2015, 08:59:23 am »
Do you think I could let her sleep for an hour in the morning instead of 45 mins? Or will that be harder to wake her from?

Offline Asha G

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2015, 09:29:59 am »
Hi there so it's been a few days and I have been using the new routine as suggested but tbh I'm not sure it's working for her... Below is the routine for each day up until today...

Thursday
7am bottle
830 solids breakfast
1015-11 nap capped.. So hard to wake her, she was fast asleep!
11am bottle
12ish solids
2pm nap Capped at 4pm
4pm bottle
530 pm solids
715pm bottle
In bed at 735... Really struggled with the A time.. Even tho she has been quite good with 3.5 hrs And this time she had a 2 hr nap too so not sure why she felt so sleepy early in the eve..
Was moving around quite a lot early eve like she wasn't sleeping peacefully and then woke around midnight but went back to sleep.

Friday
Woke at 520am, fell asleep around 540 I think and then awake  again 620ish.. Had pooed..
Bottle at 7am
830 solids
1015 nap capped at 1110
Bottle at 1120
Solids 1230
230pm nap ( was out so was delayed.. But she seemed to cope well with it)  altho woke herself at 4..
430 bottle
530 solids
7pm bottle
730pm BT

Sat
Woke at 420. Played for a bit and then back to sleep til around 630..
715 bottle
830 solids but didn't  eat
Fell asleep at 950... Let sleep until 11( hubby was looking after her!)
Bottle at 11
Solids 12pmish
Nap 245 - was getting tired just after 2 but didn't look ready for a nap but then got very agitated ( poss from the heat and also we has just gone to a friends house) so cried quite a lot before sleeping
Woke herself at 345 crying and wouldn't settle back to sleep, cried for about 20 mins - sobbing
Bottle around 430
Solids 530
Bottle 7
730 BT

Sunday
Woke around 515.. Fell asleep again around 6ish I think.. And stil asleep when I went in at 7..
1020 nap caped at 1110 , again very difficult to wake her
Bottle 1120
Fell asleep in car at 1228, journey was much longer cos of traffic so ended up sleeping over half An hour 😞
Woke at 115 so napped 45 mins
355pm nap capped at 510pm to take into account the nap she had in the car
Bt 820ish

Monday
Woke at 230am .. Crying on and off for 15 mins and then went back to sleep
Woke at 6ish I think and then fell asleep around 645..
Bottle 7am
Solids 8am
Nap 910-1020
Nap 1pm-3pm, capped
BT 7pm

Tuesday
Woke at 530am.. Fell asleep just before 7am - was really difficult  to wake her
1020 nap

What do you think?

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2015, 18:46:38 pm »
I don't think it's too bad hun? You had great nights when the day wasn't off track. She is putting herself back to sleep in the morning which is good. It may be that she can't do such a long A time last thing. Mine couldn't either. The only thing would be to increase that first a but as she's difficult OT wake already I wouldn't suggest that. I'd probably stick with it another few days and see what happens?

I would spect Sunday was a little UT and possibly overstimulated if you'd been out. As was the crying on Sunday night/Monday morning xx

Offline Asha G

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2015, 20:07:46 pm »
Thanks! I think I'm just really struggling as I can't sleep once I hear she is awake so was really hoping I would find a routine that helps her sleep through til at least 6am!
Il keep going with it for a few more days and she how she goes.. But you think it's best to carry on as is and not tweak the A times or anything? Is it worth trying to increase the first A time to see if she can handle it?

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2015, 17:03:43 pm »
You could try 10mins and see if it makes a difference? Xx