Author Topic: HELP!! Sick baby rejecting BFing. Worried about dehydration  (Read 5707 times)

Offline NZ_Mum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 8
Re: HELP!! Sick baby rejecting BFing. Worried about dehydration
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2015, 01:18:38 am »
Yes they let us go. :D
He had some much better naps at home and slept really well overnight, only waking once at 2:30am for a feed and antibiotics and then slept on till 7:20am.

He's still anxious about feeding but will go on with some "encouragement" and or a throat spray first.

The other two are still unwell and fevered. :(
It's going to be another long week...

I decided to make a log of important things like doses and times and good wet nappies. I'm still so tired in not remembering straight. I just realised that I've lost a week somewhere, how can it be Monday already?! Lol
-Cathy-

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2015, 19:59:20 pm »
Ugh.

How are you all now?

Miserable to all be so poorly at the same time  :-[ :'(.

Offline NZ_Mum

• Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2015, 03:32:57 am »
Getting better slowly, thanks for asking. :-*

Baby is doing well, much better with feeding although now there is some frustration there because my supply is not what it used to be.

DS2 has been miserable and hysterical at times, but doing so much better after I got some antibiotics for him. He's suddenly a different child!

Now DS1 is progressing with the symptoms and had a rash on his neck this morning. Baby had a rash in the fold of his neck too but it looked different, so I'm not sure if that's the same thing or not.

Got another Doctors appt tomorrow, with a different doctor this time. :P

Hoping they will at least listen and treat us as a family case.
My guess from searching online of our symptoms is a strep A bacterial infection.

That would explain why DH has managed to steer clear (so far!)
He's not without trouble though; has come home from work twice this week with gall stone attacks. Not fun.

Me I'm ok. Still sick too but I can alternate panadol, chocolate, vitamin C, tea and whiskey as needed - not necessarily in that order! Lol
-Cathy-

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2015, 07:12:27 am »
Ha!! Love it. The chocolate and whiskey that is  :-*. Glad people seem to be slowly turning corners  :-*.

What a complete pain about the gall stone attacks. Is he planning surgery? It is giving him a lot of bother isn't it?

Offline NZ_Mum

• Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2015, 21:15:51 pm »
Hehe yes really needed a whiskey after DS1 took a (very short) tumble down the stairs yesterday. (I didn't actually have one though! Lol I just 'needed' one) ;) He decided it was a good idea to try to put a shirt on while he was sitting on the stairs, even after me constantly telling him not to sit in the stairwell. Sick and with an ear infection I knew it would only be a matter of time before he lost his balance... ::) Definitely had my heart pounding - and his! ;)

We have been trying to manage DHs gall stones with a fat-free diet (or bat fats at least) and largely it has been successful in not having any attacks. But this last week or so has all been a bit much. When I was in the hospital and not here to cook for him/them I guess he ate some "bad" stuff. (We're talking rice crackers not fish and chips! Lol) and I guess it has just set off an inflammation.
The day before yesterday he had raw tuna sushi for lunch which he hadn't had before - that set him off. But then yesterday he had a salad wrap for lunch, no sauces or anything, and still had a bunch of short attacks.

We're undecided about surgery as it's not a keyhole procedure for him, having already had surgery in that area several times and a big inclination towards getting more hernias.
It would mean a couple of months off work and his job is our only income! I'm looking into some insurance to cover it but the premiums are likely prohibitive at this point in time and they only cover "up to 75% of your income" anyway! I feel like we are already going backwards on what he gets and don't think 75% would cut it. We maybe have to wait until I can go back to work too. Think he can last a couple of years? ;)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 02:07:11 am by NZ_Mum »
-Cathy-

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2015, 09:19:41 am »
Oh hun such a lot on your plate. Glad littlest is on the mend. Look after yourself as best you can! Xxx
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2015, 09:32:31 am »
Sorry I missed all this while I was away.  Glad to hear things are slowly improving.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011