Author Topic: 1-0 transition or developmental?  (Read 793 times)

Offline BeeAnn

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« on: July 29, 2015, 19:38:14 pm »
My DD is 31 months and has always been quite HSN.  She was on quite a good routine of 7-7 with a nap at about 12.30pm for two hours (a bit less at nursery).  About a month and a half ago she started napping less and so I moved her nap to 1pm

She goes to nursery 4 days a week and they said that recently she has been taking about half an hour to drop off to sleep there and only sleeps for about 40 mins now.  She still naps for about 2 hours at the weekends although has been saying she doesn't want to sleep before it.

She has also started protesting at bedtimes saying that she doesn't want to sleep.  It takes her about 45-50 mins to sleep and we can hear her singing very loudly (used to be about 25 mins or so and she was quiet).  She sleeps till about 6.30am and we get her out of bed at 7am.

She has also started insisting that we leave her door open at night because she doesn't want it to be dark.

Am thinking the options are:
1) Drop her nap cold turkey
2) Drop her nap at nursery but have a nap at weekends (potentially shorter)
3) Reduce her nap at nursery to 30 mins and at weekends to about an hour
4) Put her to bed slightly later at night
5) Hope she just goes back to sleeping longer!!

Am a bit worried that it may just be developmental as she still seems quite young for this, and also it makes no difference to her nights whether she naps shorter at nursery or longer at the weekend?

Am aware we are probably getting her to sleep too long at weekends - reluctant to give up Y time!  But at nursery she only naps 40 mins and still fights going to sleep.

Would appreciate some views on what people think might be the best option (or combination of options)

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: 1-0 transition or developmental?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 17:55:56 pm »
We had pretty much dropped the nap by this age but found a 20 min CN worked wonders to get a decent BT.

1-0 is rubbish to be honest took months for us to get a "normal" night back. Nothing worked much on night length it was pretty much 10-10.5 hours if no nap but with any longer than 20 min CN we had BT call backs for a good hour then short nights 9 hours...was pretty much a case of winging it! Sorry that sounds awful lol but it did pass  :)

I think you either decide to keep the nap and expect shorter nights and later BT or start capping it and bringing BT earlier most LO with say a 20 min nap would have a 12 hour day but HSN poss 11 hour one!!

No way an expert on this just some thoughts lol x
Zoe

Offline BeeAnn

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 12:39:53 pm »
Thank you for reply.  She refused her nap completely at nursery yesterday and was a bit tearful and overtired at bedtime but fell asleep very quickly once she had stopped crying.  However, she woke up this morning at 6.30am this morning crying which is very unusual so I think she was still tired.  She was also a real grump this morning and acting and saying she was tired from around 12pm.  I put her to bed at 1pm and I think she slept pretty quickly.  I think we will just have to play it by ear and see how she is from day to day!

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: 1-0 transition or developmental?
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 20:08:58 pm »
It is a case of playing it by ear think it's the only attitude that keeps you sane with this transition x
Zoe