Author Topic: HELP!! Sick baby rejecting BFing. Worried about dehydration  (Read 5701 times)

Offline NZ_Mum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 8
DS3 is 7.5mo, been sick a few days now with this fluey thing.
I thought he'd be ok because benefits of my immune system through BFing but now he just won't even try. He just screams and pushes me away.

I've been trying to express to avoid mastitis. And I've been trying to give him that milk in cups and bottles and in his food - any way to get it into him as surely he's hungry and thirsty!

He does eat some solids but not as much as before.

Yesterday I only changed his nappy once all day! And that was when he'd finally done a poo at the end of the day (he usually does one in the morning) but other than that it was largely dry.

What else can I do?? How do I know if he's getting dehydrated?
-Cathy-

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
Re: HELP!! Sick baby rejecting BFing. Worried about dehydration
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 17:38:14 pm »
He might have a blocked nose which is making it hard for him to feed. Anythjng you can do to help unblock it? Smelly chest rubs or oils (baby ones) or a warm bath might help
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline NZ_Mum

• Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 20:03:22 pm »
He definitely can't breathe. Also likely has a sore throat and doesn't want to suck.
This morning I just syringed milk into his mouth...
-Cathy-

Offline weaver

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 20:08:13 pm »
I think the syringe is a good move.  Dryness would only make his throat even sorer.

I found this information for you
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Dehydration/Pages/Treatment.aspx

Also, I'd try giving him pain meds (in case of ear aches etc) and then offering a feed once those have kicked in.

If you're concerned that he is severely dehydrated, get him seen by a medical professional as soon as you can. 

Definitely a great idea to pump and look after yourself, mastitis would be a real pain (in all ways) right now. 
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 20:44:33 pm »
If you really are worried he is getting dehydrated (dry nappies, lethargic, dry mouth) then get him seen. Sometimes babies do end up needing a little bit of help when they are unwell and dehydrated - just a bit of fluid to pep them up enough to feed really.

How have things been as the day wears on,

Offline NZ_Mum

• Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 20:52:55 pm »
Thanks Liz. :)
I took everyone to the doctors yesterday. DS2 has been completely miserable for a week now with a mild fever - and I could see DS3 coming down with it fast and DS1 not far behind. (Nevermind being sick myself!)
But the woman barely batted an eyelid when I said he wasn't feeding. She took their temps and looked in ears and throats but that was about it. What else could she do I suppose.

If I can get him to sleep today I'll call the healthline for babies. They might have more baby-oriented bright ideas than the Dr.

Last night was so bad... I'm shattered and it's only 8am!

Oh well I've had my coffee. Better get back to it, if I'm not holding him he just moans and cries and I'm sure that's not helping his throat at all!
-Cathy-

Offline NZ_Mum

• Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 04:50:26 am »
So I called the healthline after struggling with him all morning.
Then just decided to bring him to the hospital at 2pm.
I figured at least the hospital would be quieter today than on the weekend and didn't want things to escalate.

The hospital dr took a much better look at his throat than the split second look that the GP took, and gave him a throat spray and more pain meds than I would have been confident to give in one go! He took 5-6 good sucks on his bottle of milk then was OUT. Poor sausage.

Hopefully I won't be stuck here all night. At least here I've got a better chance of finding out what it is and so how to help my other two!
-Cathy-

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 20:41:49 pm »
Sounds like the right decision. They don't have all that much reserve at this age.

You did make me LOL though - you reminded me of my days in A&E when we would give all the kids paracetamol and ibuprofen and send them all home happy - its so much easier when you have a weight and give a proper calculated dose. They often 'boing' back.

Thinking off you all. I'm dreading winter with all 3 of them  :-[.

Offline NZ_Mum

• Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2015, 00:51:36 am »
After much drama and screaming they finally got a line in his vein using ultrasound. (He's so cubbie lol)
Then they put him on a drop overnight, so he's had approximately 400mls before the morning doctor came around.
This is where the medical "professionals" drive me a bit crazy-
He came in and baby was sleeping having had said double doses of pain relief, woke him up and got me to get him up. So baby sat on my knee waking up and was quiet while we were talking. (Of course) So doctor thinks baby is "fine" and that the reason why he's not BFing is because he's on a drip! And orders the nurse to come take it off. This makes me feel like he thinks that I bought my baby into the hospital and went through all that crying and poking and prodding for FUN because clearly he will start to feed again once he's off the drip. Wtf? Am I a hyperchondriac? Is that what he thinks?

I can guarantee that baby is still not going to want to feed in a couple of hours just because he's off the drip.
Every time I even lay him on my lap he gets really upset, because he knows i want to feed him. (Boy oh boy do I want to feed him!!)

More worryingly, he still hasn't done many wees at all for days now, even after 400ml bag and some sips from bottles of expressed milk... How dehydrated is dehydrated and how much liquid should I expect he need to "restock" before he starts weeing again?
-Cathy-

Offline Bella89

• Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2015, 09:35:57 am »
Try lying down and feeding him when he is on you, on his tummy. That helped us when we had blocked nose once. It is difficult because its also confusing for the baby and the food has to go "up" more, but its worth trying.
Hope you will get better soon!

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2015, 09:51:23 am »
If he's still not feeding/weeing, take him back. Check his hydration by checking his fontanelle is not sunken. Can you request review by a paediatrician before discharge?

Offline weaver

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2015, 09:52:04 am »
He came in and baby was sleeping having had said double doses of pain relief, woke him up and got me to get him up. So baby sat on my knee waking up and was quiet while we were talking. (Of course) So doctor thinks baby is "fine" and that the reason why he's not BFing is because he's on a drip! And orders the nurse to come take it off.
that's incredibly frustrating for you.  I'd be fuming!

Are you staying in the hospital for now? the staff will be able to keep an eye on DS3, and you can keep asking questions as you need to.  I think it's good that DS3 had the fluids and a good sleep to start with, hopefully things will improve from here. 

You must be wrecked, and yes, desperate to feed him! (((((hugs)))))

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2015, 14:02:23 pm »
You are still in hospital though? Waiting to see if he will feed??

I can see why it is frustrating - but sometimes kids really do just need a bag of fluids to improve. They are so resilient, as their bodies are so 'new' and efficient.

Fingers crossed!! Hope they left that line in just in case he needs to go back on  :-\ :-\.

Offline NZ_Mum

• Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2015, 21:06:58 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions lovely ladies! I have tried all manner of ways to get him to feed, but above all else it has to be the sore throat that is putting him off.

Yes we are still in hospital (and DH is at home with the other two getting a healthy dose of what it is like to be me *evil laugh* ;) ) and yes they did leave the line in. Thank goodness.

I know what you mean Liz, and I think that bag was just what he needed to bring his thirst down enough to even begin to contemplate BFing again iykwim. He was just beyond hungry and that makes it so hard to get them latched on, fear of being bitten and sore throat not withstanding!!

So that was why I was surprised that they took him off and didn't even finish that bag. I'm pretty sure he would have missed out on more than 500mls of fluids during the time he wasn't feeding and before I started syringing him.

Anyways, the good news is I DID get him to take a BF last night!! He was sufficiently relaxed and not too long after hydrating him by other means.
This morning was much harder to get him back on again. My throat was also pretty sore after sleeping in this aircon air all night long. So I'm guessing his was too.
I gave him a quick spray with the throat numbing spray they gave me in the ED and managed to get him latched on a few minutes later. Hooray!

I wouldn't mind going home now. I don't think they will put him back on the drip now that his fluid intake is better. The aircon air is just going to keep drying us out.

Fingers crossed for that today!
-Cathy-

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2015, 19:55:43 pm »
Fingers crossed  :-* :-*.

Did they release you?? Lovely to be home - but no harm in your DH holding the fort either  ;) ;). Mine is going to get a bit of that soon  :P.

Offline NZ_Mum

• Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2015, 01:18:38 am »
Yes they let us go. :D
He had some much better naps at home and slept really well overnight, only waking once at 2:30am for a feed and antibiotics and then slept on till 7:20am.

He's still anxious about feeding but will go on with some "encouragement" and or a throat spray first.

The other two are still unwell and fevered. :(
It's going to be another long week...

I decided to make a log of important things like doses and times and good wet nappies. I'm still so tired in not remembering straight. I just realised that I've lost a week somewhere, how can it be Monday already?! Lol
-Cathy-

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2015, 19:59:20 pm »
Ugh.

How are you all now?

Miserable to all be so poorly at the same time  :-[ :'(.

Offline NZ_Mum

• Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2015, 03:32:57 am »
Getting better slowly, thanks for asking. :-*

Baby is doing well, much better with feeding although now there is some frustration there because my supply is not what it used to be.

DS2 has been miserable and hysterical at times, but doing so much better after I got some antibiotics for him. He's suddenly a different child!

Now DS1 is progressing with the symptoms and had a rash on his neck this morning. Baby had a rash in the fold of his neck too but it looked different, so I'm not sure if that's the same thing or not.

Got another Doctors appt tomorrow, with a different doctor this time. :P

Hoping they will at least listen and treat us as a family case.
My guess from searching online of our symptoms is a strep A bacterial infection.

That would explain why DH has managed to steer clear (so far!)
He's not without trouble though; has come home from work twice this week with gall stone attacks. Not fun.

Me I'm ok. Still sick too but I can alternate panadol, chocolate, vitamin C, tea and whiskey as needed - not necessarily in that order! Lol
-Cathy-

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2015, 07:12:27 am »
Ha!! Love it. The chocolate and whiskey that is  :-*. Glad people seem to be slowly turning corners  :-*.

What a complete pain about the gall stone attacks. Is he planning surgery? It is giving him a lot of bother isn't it?

Offline NZ_Mum

• Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2015, 21:15:51 pm »
Hehe yes really needed a whiskey after DS1 took a (very short) tumble down the stairs yesterday. (I didn't actually have one though! Lol I just 'needed' one) ;) He decided it was a good idea to try to put a shirt on while he was sitting on the stairs, even after me constantly telling him not to sit in the stairwell. Sick and with an ear infection I knew it would only be a matter of time before he lost his balance... ::) Definitely had my heart pounding - and his! ;)

We have been trying to manage DHs gall stones with a fat-free diet (or bat fats at least) and largely it has been successful in not having any attacks. But this last week or so has all been a bit much. When I was in the hospital and not here to cook for him/them I guess he ate some "bad" stuff. (We're talking rice crackers not fish and chips! Lol) and I guess it has just set off an inflammation.
The day before yesterday he had raw tuna sushi for lunch which he hadn't had before - that set him off. But then yesterday he had a salad wrap for lunch, no sauces or anything, and still had a bunch of short attacks.

We're undecided about surgery as it's not a keyhole procedure for him, having already had surgery in that area several times and a big inclination towards getting more hernias.
It would mean a couple of months off work and his job is our only income! I'm looking into some insurance to cover it but the premiums are likely prohibitive at this point in time and they only cover "up to 75% of your income" anyway! I feel like we are already going backwards on what he gets and don't think 75% would cut it. We maybe have to wait until I can go back to work too. Think he can last a couple of years? ;)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 02:07:11 am by NZ_Mum »
-Cathy-

Offline weaver

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2015, 09:19:41 am »
Oh hun such a lot on your plate. Glad littlest is on the mend. Look after yourself as best you can! Xxx

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2015, 09:32:31 am »
Sorry I missed all this while I was away.  Glad to hear things are slowly improving.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011