Author Topic: Need to do naps at home?  (Read 941 times)

Offline lauradj

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 61
Need to do naps at home?
« on: August 01, 2015, 03:22:52 am »
Has anyone else found that at around 5 months they really needed to be home for nap time?  DS2 is no longer napping for long stretches in the Ergo if I take the three of us to the park/gymnastics, walk, so he's super tired for the rest of the day.  Generally he does nap quite well mid-day and the last nap of the day but I'm just wondering if I should be trying to get that first morning nap at home too.  I just hate being house bound with an almost 2 yr old! Thoughts?

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
Re: Need to do naps at home?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 03:52:39 am »
This was about the age I started swaddling L for naps when out and about. I wasn't so worried about the rolling issue because I'd just lie him down next to me but the swaddling and a naptime song would have him drifting off pretty quickly considering where we were (coffee shop / someone's house with other babies around).

Is he getting enough A time or falling asleep while slightly UT?

FWIW, I'd sacrifice nap 3 if I had a choice... I can't imagine its fun to have a toddler cooped up inside though and I presume she still needs plenty of activity to take a decent nap.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 03:54:29 am by becj86 »

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 10:48:08 am »
Laura, at that age with LO2, I'd always do the CN as a sling or buggy nap, as I figured it was on the way out anyway.  So we could always go out at the time.  Another thing we did was if LO2 woke early from a nap (often!) in the AM, I'd get her in the buggy and head out and she would drop off again, so avoid OT and get a cot nap (sort of).  Can you mix up your ways of carrying him as well? If you mix buggy/sling/carseat, perhaps you'd get enough sleep? Does your buggy need extra darkening perhaps?  Also, I think a short AM, loooong midday, plus a CN could be a good enough pattern for some days, no?  I'd be concerned only if he wouldn't sleep at all. 

I think maybe you could plan to mix your days up? Have an at home for naps day, and then an out and about day?
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 20:34:41 pm »
My boy only short naps when we are out and about, but really he manages fine like this even if we are out and about all day. We just make sure we don't do it all the time.

My DS is a bit older, but I find that a short am nap usually means a nice long pm nap anyway, and so that is fine. Most days we are home for 1/2 naps anyway.

I would be very reluctant to start doing all naps at home, because it really is helpful to have a kid that will CN on the go when you have more than one child. In fact, I can't imagine how I would cope without that.

Thomas is an IS. He isn't a perfect sleeper but I really do think that is due to his reflux issues rather than routine issues.

Offline lauradj

• Showing Appreciation 61
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 21:12:31 pm »
Ok, good to hear all the feedback!  H is definitely an independent sleeper, I just feel kind of bad schlepping him around for his morning nap 4/7 days but it sounds like that's pretty standard for second kids.  He did actually nap really well in his car seat when I had the boys in the double stroller this morning so maybe it's just that I'm moving around too much while wearing the Ergo.  If he'll nap alright in his car seat then I'll just bring that and forgo the baby carrier. 

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 21:50:40 pm »
I would have thought it wold be a good habit to get into to be able to sleep anywhere, esp if he is a good ISer. you don't want to get into the habit of naps at home if you can help it!

Offline Emami

• Showing Appreciation 41
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 07:41:19 am »
I would have thought it wold be a good habit to get into to be able to sleep anywhere, esp if he is a good ISer. you don't want to get into the habit of naps at home if you can help it!
Agree! This is the situation I have found myself in despite planning on having a baby who would sleep anywhere! We have given Annabel plenty of opportunity to sleep out and about but she just won't do it anymore (and only did half an hour even when tiny), so I do feel like I have to be home twice a day. It's not so bad as she's getting older and can stay awake more, but I can't wait until she's on one nap! I say schlep away as long as he'll sleep :)
Emma

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 07:44:13 am »
I found a good pushchair helped with naps out and abut. We had a Maclaren that as he got older wouldn't sleep in. Then at 8 months bought a Bugaboo and he was happy to sleep in that - much easier to APOP naps at the 3-2!