Author Topic: 2.5 year old sleep regression??  (Read 7092 times)

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2015, 15:52:15 pm »
Okay, thank you. I know a huge issue is the really long days now. Waking at 6:30am and not falling asleep until 8:00/9:00 is awful. Just tryinnf to figure out how to shift it and get back to some type of normal length day

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: 2.5 year old sleep regression??
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2015, 17:44:17 pm »
How many months is he now? x
Zoe

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2015, 18:36:16 pm »
30 months

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2015, 19:20:04 pm »
You may need to do some nap capping at this age, we started with 45 mins. But there is a half birthday developmental leap that's often responsible for lots of sleep and behaviour issues so could be in the middle of that too x
Zoe

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2015, 19:32:22 pm »
Thank you so much for your time. I appreciate you always being so willing to help and with quick responses! I know there's only so much you can suggest to me and no magic routine (wish we all wish there was  ;)) I'll just continue on for a bit since the UT/OT loop is pretty well known around here! I'll try to keep nap/rest at 1:00pm and just have to wake him or get him up at 2:30 to keep BT decent. Our issue is the long days. I didn't realize how long they had been this week and that's what's the #1 thing that makes for short nights and weird sleep so I'll play with capping and earlier BT in hope of him falling asleep within 13 hour max day.

I'll come back on after a few days of tweaking. Enjoy your weekend! X

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2015, 05:58:29 am »
Your very welcome, it's always nice to chat things out even if nothing works lol. These munchkins just like to keep us second guessing  ;)

On our first proper no nap day DS only had a 11.5 hour day so don't be afraid to go really early for bed sometimes it works wonders.

Keep us posted and enjoy your weekend x
Zoe

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2015, 10:43:30 am »
Thank you :)

Im going to post my routine yesterday so I can refer back to it in a couple days and see if we've had any progress.

Up 6:30am (9!hour night)
Nap 1:00-2:30 (he was tired and fell straight sleep and woke on his own)
BT 7:45pm (tried to keep close to a 13 hour day but still make sure he was tired enough. He took almost an hour to fall asleep)
14 hour day

Woke today at 6:30am again (10 hr night)

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2015, 16:53:18 pm »
Keep us posted...I'd say day is robbing from night with a long ish nap x
Zoe

Offline ArielG

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Stay-Home Mommy to a Spirited Little Lady
    • http://www.arielgalosdesigns.com
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2015, 21:18:43 pm »
We are going through something similar! it is so tough.

For us, sleep was clockwork until around 2 years.  Now we go through cycles of good and bad.

Right now, at 34 months, Soren is dragging out bed time and making tons of requests and even sometimes waking in the early hours (between 3-5) and making more requests (a band-aid for an owie, lotion for 'itchy' skin...wants to talk to Daddy on the phone when he's away at work). Sometimes she goes back down, sometimes she is up for HOURS.

We've capped her nap at 1.5 hours since her usual 2-2.5 was making her bedtime super late. However, we've had only a little success at implementing an earlier bedtime and she's usually awake until the later time anyway and then wants to sleep in.

Naps are still good but nights have really gone to pot with the NW.  I also think developmental stuff is going on and it's really throwing everyone for a loop.

I have noticed, too, that at her age, any shift  in routine (a trip, a new stimulating outing) only makes everything worse. She used to adapt but not anymore. It seems like she gets super stressed really easily and, when she's overstimulated, only gets more hyper and gets less sleep.

She will be going to school in a little more than a week and I'm really worried about her rest! She'll need to get up a full hour and a half earlier than she does now and go with a longer A in the morning. I am freaked out about it and am scrambling to make an earlier bed time work!

You're not alone! I think this is just all so exacerbated by the willful toddler stage and we'll be doing much better when they move out of toddlerhood. LOL.

I also want to hear about how your progress is! Rooting for you.  :-*
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 21:21:11 pm by ArielG »
:) Ariel

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2015, 00:32:54 am »
Thanks for the post Ariel! It's nice to hear other stories as well. Often times we put so much pressure on ourselves as parents when most of the time the little ones will just do what they want no matter how much routine tweaking we do!

All we want is our babes to sleep and be well rested and it's usually the last thing they want to do!

Hopefully in your case, school will help. It may make her tired enough to nap/STTN just from all the new stimulation.

My plan is to try set 1:00pm nap and cap at an hour after he falls asleep unless it's pushing 3:00pm and I'll just get him and skip nap that day.

I'll let you all know how things go at the end of the week!