Author Topic: What on earth can I feed him??  (Read 5063 times)

Offline *Liz*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
What on earth can I feed him??
« on: August 04, 2015, 21:16:33 pm »
My poor DS2 is driving me a teeny bit crazy  :-[ :-[. He is reflux and CMPI. Recently switched to nutramigen proamino (it is the old AA - same as neocate) as he was still being so sick. He is a bit better, but still clearly has reflux iyswim? Since the switch his tummy aches and bowels have improved, and his appetite is better, but he still spits up after most bottles.

So the assumption is that he is CMPI, but wheat is also making him puke up a lot, so at the moment he can't have that either.

I just don't know what to feed him - fruit and veggies are all very well but he is a hungry boy and is waking for 2 night bottles again now. I do give him meat once a day. He doesn't seem to like baby rice/ porridge even with fruit mixed in. It isn't all the solids I know - he only manages 5/6 oz a bottle - anymore and he just pukes it back.

It is extra hard as I really do need to use some pre made stuff as we are a very busy household. DH is always at work, the 2 bigger kids have after school clubs etc, and I return to work in Sept.

Give me some ideas please  :-* :-*.

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
Re: What on earth can I feed him??
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 02:44:50 am »
How about coconut or almond based yogurt? Is he too young to try eggs yet? I've forgotten the baby food stage! Avocado?

I'll think some more.

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 02:53:33 am »
Was also goin to suggest avocado, and coconut milk for satiety.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 09:17:54 am »
Mine didn't like porridge but he'd eat oats made into other things such as oaty chews (like flap jacks but no sugar/honey) which I could make a big batch of then freeze, easy to lift a few out to thaw and take out and about when needed.
Pancakes made with whizzed oats, banana, egg?  You can make without egg too although they don't hold so well.
If eggs are ok then chickpea cupcakes could be an option (chick peas and lots of eggs so it's a high protein recipe), again in batches and frozen.
gluten free oat muffins?
http://glutenfreeonashoestring.com/easy-gluten-free-oatmeal-muffins/

bean/lentil burgers/fritters/falafel
humus/red kidney bean dip
home made pate
sweet potato and fish cakes?

for pre-pack stuff how about something like the free from range at tesco? IIWM I'd prob look for a simple solution to bread but maybe that's just me, kids like carbs.
Pitta bread for out and about toasted fingers or for dipping? or made into a sandwich pocket with pate or humus. The pitta should freeze fine and be able to toast or thaw in the toaster from frozen, you could halve them before freezing perhaps to reduce the portion size?

ellas kitchen do pre-made baby foods some are lactose and gluten free. I've never tried any of them so can't give personal recommendation.
http://www.ellaskitchen.com/our-products/special-diets/page/3/?filter-6=gluten-free-2&filter-4=lactose-intolerant&x=110&y=23

Offline potlaura

• Showing Appreciation 168
  • mum of three fabulous boys from n.ireland
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 10:16:49 am »
We where similar

We did a lot of sweet potato/green beans/veggies - ellas kitchen was a handy back up busy households :-) and sometimes i just cooked her ideas :-) .
soups where a favorite here and so where soy yogurts for snacking

will have a wee think brain not working this morning

Laura
Jack 31.12.98
Tom 06.09.06
Euan 28.12.2011

Offline Emami

• Showing Appreciation 41
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 11:33:11 am »
Annabel loves the Ella's Kitchen meals. We are mostly doing BLW, but those meals are handy for something quick or something portable, and are the only thing she will let me spoon feed her.  Otherwise fish is a favourite - those teeny precooked prawns that just need defrosting and are easy to gum and swallow, smoked salmon pieces are nice and oily and go down easily, and tuna mashed with avocado can be squished into balls that are easy for little fingers.  Hugs, I find keeping meals varied is quite a challenge and that's without any reflux or intolerances to contend with.
Emma

Offline koe2moe

• Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 11:40:08 am »
Is he too young for meat/fish?  if you boil dark chicken meat with bones in water for 2 hours or so, it will be melt in your mouth soft and you get beautiful broth for other things.  You can batch cook it and freeze in small portions in the broth. 

Offline Hedgehog17

• Showing Appreciation 71
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 11:51:33 am »
How about quinoa? It cooks like porridge and is easy to eat, plus has plenty of protein  ;D

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 12:49:33 pm »
if you boil dark chicken meat with bones in water for 2 hours or so, it will be melt in your mouth soft and you get beautiful broth for other things.  You can batch cook it and freeze in small portions in the broth. 
I used to do something similar, I'd make a kind of stew.  I'd put the meat in with broth, sweet potatoes, carrots, peas...really any veggie and let it simmer until the meat was pull-apart soft and the veggies broke down, then I'd blend it all up and freeze in individuals portions.  1 batch would last a month or so.  I'd do the same with chicken as well.

Offline Mama2boys

• Showing Appreciation 247
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 13:15:08 pm »
Same as Lindsay and you can use a slow cooker as well
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2015, 19:50:54 pm »
I was going to say quinoa too.

Are you looking for recommendations for products?  WF pasta? Dairy-free milks and spreads?

I think he must be dairy and soy free, is that right?
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline C&B&E

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2015, 19:56:37 pm »
Have you looked into the GAPS diet? Not necessarily to use the full diet, but you may find some good recipes for children who have multiple allergies/intolerances.
Claire x

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2015, 19:58:25 pm »
I know I need to do some more cooking. I just didn't really want to have to  :-[ :-[.

He does like some of the ella's kitchen pouches, but only eats about a third, and when they are 35% stock and 11% meat, it isn't really any surprise the poor guy is hungry yk?

I think I need to do an egg trial - what is best do you think? Some scrambled egg?? If he manages egg then it will open another protein food but also will allow a bit more baking options for him.

I haven't tried any fish yet either - mainly as pre made stuff always has milk etc in as it is invariably a fish pie.

Oaty chews is a good idea.

Product recommendations very welcome as well - he is dairy/ soy/ gluten free  ::) ::). I have pure sunflower spread, and I have some koko milk (but it is VERY low calorie - not sure how to use tinned coconut milk for a baby this little.....)

He does quite well with finger foods, and I recently realised that he likes very thick baby food (typical for reflux really - prefers 7/10 month ones). At least that isn't an issue I will face, hey? He likes homemade chips and strawberries, and baby oranges, and broccoli.

Offline C&B&E

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2015, 20:03:16 pm »
What about some hearty stews? I used to cook a big batch and then just freeze it into portions as it was a really easy meal to reheat rather than cooking from scratch.
Claire x

Offline babybarr

• Showing Appreciation 224
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2015, 21:27:20 pm »
I'm following, my two *still* can't tolerate soy or dairy.
LAURA xx

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2015, 21:32:08 pm »
For fish, can you just make a really light white fish, tilapia, and cook until really soft in maybe olive oil??? Or steam some way in a foil pouch?? That might be easy enough to eat with no dairy.

I would do scrambled eggs, plain or with some water if it makes them a bit softer?

I used olive oil and the earth balance dairy and soy free spread or coconut oil for all cooking with DS. I tried making my own baby food but honestly with him not tolerating some foods, I ended up buying Beechnut brand baby food as they had basically only real food ingredients and not the extra junk that would bother DS. I don't know if they sell them by you but over here they've changed their product to non-GMO and have organic choices which usually are free of the dairy and soy stuff.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 21:36:31 pm by ~*Nicole*~ »

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2015, 08:40:42 am »
omelet might be easier for finger food, I use one of those dinky one-egg pans, it is amazingly fast to whip up an egg. I use some veg oil and just the beaten egg (no water or milk added), after a little cooking I fold the omelet in half in the pan whilst the inside is still a little wet so the two halves stick together making a much fatter omelet which is easier to cut into fingers/chunks. (and let it cook on low half a minute, turn and cook through from the other side too)

fish - how about the packs of fresh fish sold for fish pie? A little variety of a few different types of fish already cut into finger food sized chunks. For a LO like this I would just drop a couple into a small pan of water to boil, it would be cooked in moments.  I sometimes use those fish pie packs, I take a few mins to re-pack the pieces into DS sized portions (here it's say 3 pieces of fish per meal) in freezer bags so that day-to-day I can just pull one bag from the freezer to thaw. I don't use a microwave but I'm sure you could micro a couple of pieces.

for instant food how about pre-cooked canned beans (the ones in just water no sugar/salt) such as chickpeas black eyed beans, kidney beans, pinto, butter beans?  If he is practising pincer grip he'll have fun picking them up and literally all you have to do is open the can and rinse them in a sieve.  You can also whizz/mash them (preferably with an egg once you've trialled, add any left over veggies) and fry off patties or fill a mini muffin tray and shove it in the oven for them to set into handy LO-sized portions which can be frozen.  I really don't think home baking/cooking needs to be fancy recipes or a load of faff, I would just aim to produce a batch of something which will fill him up and be as convenient as possible for you.

coconut - have you tried the small sachets of coconut milk?  They come in a box of about 4 sachets, maybe this could be an option for some sort of baking or adding coconut to other things if you wanted?  You'd get the coconut without all the water iyswim. It says to melt the contents by dropping the sachet into hot water for a few mins but actually if it's not the middle of winter (and really cold) you can just open the pack and spoon out the contents.
http://pataks.co.uk/products/creamed-coconut.aspx

there's an oaty chew recipe here
Re: Finger Foods (6 months+)
Use oil and a bit of water, no need for butter/milk and just add whatever flavours/fruits you know are ok. For dried fruit you can whizz it up (fruit and oats) to make the whole chew smoother. These really are very easy and super fast to make. And freeze great, I always felt like they were convenience food because I could lift a few out and pop them in a tub to take out and they would defrost by snack/lunch time.
You could try one with grated carrot or sweet potato which would be something like the Goodies oat chew
http://groceries.asda.com/asda-webstore/landing/home.shtml#/product/37913973?&cmpid=ppc-_-ghs-_-pla-dsk-_-google-_-
(the shop shelf chews have allergy warnings on but if you look at the ingredients it is basically the same as the basic oat chew recipe but with various fruit/veg/juice added for the variety of flavours they stock. I sometimes bought the Goodies packs, they are smoother than plain oats but if you whizz the oats before you start it comes out very similar)

Another pre-made baby food is cow and gate, again I've not used but they have a couple of dairy/gluten free foods:
http://www.cowandgate.co.uk/products/baby-food/from-10-months#lunches-and-dinners

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2015, 10:55:03 am »
Liz  my DS was dairy, soy and gluten free until 18 months. It was difficult for us because it was not a "lifestyle choice" where DH and I were doing it as well and it often meant me cooking 3 different meals, one for each of us and it was such a pain ::)

Eggs - I did yolks only until 18 months, as the whites are the allergenic part.  I would put two yolks in a bowl with about a tablespoon or two of his formula (just poured a touch from a made-up bottle).  Scramble them up or mix them and lie them out to cook and be cut in strips. DS loved them.    Using yolks-only was a lot of waste, I used to pretend I was going to keep the whites and make something with them but as if I ever did ::)  I just accepted that they were getting thrown out.  Occassionally on a weekend I would put the whites from DS's eggs into a bowl with whole eggs for DH and I and we would have extra white in our omelette or scrambled egg but not often.   

Coconut milk - I made it into rice pudding. I think it was just a can of coconut milk mixed in a dish with pudding rice and baked, with cinnamon on top....whatever it was, it was easy, I just don't remember.  But I am pretty sure it was a recipe from anna. 

I used to make quinoa, or different GF-grains porridge and pilaf type dishes but I always found it a lot of work for the amount that DS ate.

Fish - about 9-10 months I started giving DS some salmon.  I got boneless fillets from the supermarket (fresh or frozen) and poached them in a pan with a bit of his formula.  Just to make them softer than baking them.  Once he got better at gumming his meals I just baked them in the oven the same way I do for DH and I.  Chopped a few sweet potatoes or squash cubes and put them on the tray next to the fish and then he could have that with it.  From about 9-12 months it was DS's favourite meal!

The famous BW sausage recipe (annabel karmel) is also really good.  It calls for chicken breasts or thighs to be put into the food processor raw, and chopped up that way, but you can also use store-bought minced chicken/turkey for less mess. Mix the meat together with one grated apple and some herbs, shape into thumb-sized sausages and bake or fry.  They do need a flour coating on them but with DS I used to use rice flour - I am sure you can get a better GF flour mix for them.  But rice flour was fine.  We all like them and we often make them now for picnic food :)

Will be back if I think of more....