Author Topic: Confused about number of feeds and sippy vs bottle  (Read 1600 times)

Offline Kfro

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
Confused about number of feeds and sippy vs bottle
« on: August 06, 2015, 09:35:45 am »
Hi,

My ds is nine months and still on four bottles a day. He has always been a big milk drinker and I haven't yet seen any signs of him wanting to drop a bottle. Do I keep going on like this until he shows a clear sign or should I encourage the process along? I am also unsure about when to transition him to a sippy cup. My hv advised me to give him his milk in a sippy for the middle two feeds in orde to hel decrease the amount he is taking but he really dislikes having milk from the trainer cup I have so I always end up giving him it in a bottle. Should I be trying to encourage a sippy cup at this age? I read another post on here that said they normally transition to a sippy cup when they only have the one milk feed bit I thought that it was advised to have them off bottles by the age of one? Also are there a particular type of cup that anyone could recommend?

Tia

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Confused about number of feeds and sippy vs bottle
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 09:47:14 am »
I didn't switch the milk feeds to a sippy cup, instead I switched the milk feed (the 2 days milks) to a solids snack with a drink of water but your LO may not be ready for this yet. a lot can happen between 9 and 12 months and the process is perhaps not as gradual as you might think. What I mean is those changes (switching from milk to snack at the 11am ish and 3pm ish E) may seem nowhere in sight right now, but in a month or two they could happen over night with no fuss at all.

The advice to have them off bottles at 1yo is to protect teeth, they do still need a decent milk drink each day and if they don't take a decent amount from an alternate cup then keeping one bottle is fine. The main thing is not to be giving juice drinks in bottles and not to have them sucking from a bottle all day long, a quick 10 min milk feed in the morning or evening is not going to damage them. It's also important to switch around your routine so that teeth brushing comes after the BT feed if it isn't there already.
At 12 months mine was having 2 bottles, one at WU, one at BT. At 12 months I dropped the BT one over about 7-10 days a very gentle wean. At 13 months I switched the Wu one to a straw (not sippy). The WU one was harder as I needed that milk intake to stay constant but even so it only took a few weeks of trying and practise for the switch to happen without any drop in milk.

I used the tommie tippie sippy cups (no valve) which are in all the shops.  For the straw I tried a bottle with a straw but found it hard to clean the straw so instead bought a big pack of straws (£ shop) and used a new one each day just popped into the top of a bottle/cup. I washed them all out and saved them for the craft box. We've had great fun doing crafts with them so I don't feel at all bad about using so many disposable straws!

Offline Kfro

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 17:26:56 pm »
Thank you for your reply. My plan is to replace with a snack too but I was unsure if transitioning to a sippy cup first might encourage him to take less at that feed and therefore ease the transition? I don't know. I feel like he isn't doing great with solids so uses his milk to get all his calories. I know this isn't necessarily a bad thing at the moment as his milk is his nutrition but I am worried about him getting to twelve months and relying more on solid food. I'm not sure if I could maybe tweak his feeding times in order to make him more hungry for his solids? He is in the middle of transitioning from 2 naps to 1 at the moment so his feeds aren't really at ideal times. Do you kind taking a look to see if you could suggest any tweaks?

Gu 6
Milk 615
Solids 730
Milk 945
Nap 10-12
Solids 12
Milk 2
Nap 4-430
Solids 430
Milk 630
Bt 7

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 09:07:06 am »
Routine looks fine :)
It's totally normal for milk and solids times to be positioned suitably around nap times like this.

I wouldn't transition to a sippy cup for milk feeds with the aim of reducing those milk feeds unless the size of the milk feeds is really excessively high, there will most likely be one or two feeds which naturally reduce in size in a month or two any way. Really there is not a rush to reduce the milk and increase the solids.

At 9 months some LOs may not be particularly interested in solids but it will come.  The move towards increased solids portions can come quite suddenly in a month or 2.  I would continue as you are for now and if you are still concerned at say 11 months then look at things again then.
If there are still any night feeds I would probably look towards dropping those before dropping any day time feeds too.

What sort of solids are you offering? have you introduced lumpy foods or finger foods?  Are you offering meat and fish?