Author Topic: Strong-willed 18 mth old battles  (Read 732 times)

Offline ~Lori~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
Strong-willed 18 mth old battles
« on: August 07, 2015, 04:04:16 am »
I am posting this for my sister who is going through quite the time with her 18 mth old.  She knows there is a sleep regression but this is so much more than that!  Their 18 mth old DD is very strong willed and BT has been a huge battle since about 15 mths or so.  She gets very mad to go to bed and will throw out her pacifiers and lovey and scream and scream.  My sister has been going back in to give the stuff back to her after a few minutes.  She will comfort her, give her back her things and leave.  DD will then throw everything out again and scream and cry.  This cycle goes on and on and most nights this goes on for about 1.5 hrs.  My sister is at her wits ends.  I have suggested to not keep going back in to give her DD her things over and over again, but my sister says if they don't, she can keep at this for hrs and hrs.  Any suggestions for her?
Mom to:

DD--Touchy, then Textbook, 2006
DS1--Spirited, 2009
DS2--Textbook, 2012
DD2--Angel, 2014

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: Strong-willed 18 mth old battles
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 07:07:09 am »
Does your sister think she is ready for bed ie tired enough? I'm wondering if she doesn't need to change the bedtime routine up a bit. I found at that age if my children played around a lot at bedtime it was because the activities that preceded bedtime weren't working all that well to get them settled & relaxed, so things like timing of bath, some children are relaxed by them some more stimulated, reading stories, cuddles songs etc Working on finding the right pattern as they get older can really make a difference with different temperaments.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
Re: Strong-willed 18 mth old battles
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 08:37:04 am »
I wonder if she's ut too.

Could you post her routine?

Also, there's a big developmental leap at 18 mos and lots of LOs suddenly have trouble/ take longer settling at BT. A change in WD routine might help or you might just have to ride it out.

Wrt not going back in, I agree maybe not to keep giving back toys as is could become a bit of a game (we had that with my dd taking her sleeping bag off at 18 mos, it became a game until we stopped putting it back on if she took it off) for the LO, but def go back in if/ when LO is upset, to reassure them.
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old