Author Topic: 1-0: starting with some no nap days, couple of questions...  (Read 932 times)

Offline K-JDA

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
1-0: starting with some no nap days, couple of questions...
« on: August 07, 2015, 05:58:11 am »
Hi All

DS is nearly 35 months.

We have been on the 1-0 journey for ages now and are at the point of short catnap of 20-30 mins still leaving nights short at 10hrs or less.

So we are taking the plunge with some NNDs - he handled yesterday well and his night was 11hrs last night which is the longest for ages. His mood is pretty good this morning. Hoping nights will start to lengthen to at least 11.5hrs if not more as we get into a regular no nap scenario (I say hopefully!)

So I guess I have a few questions:

- how long a day should we aim for on NNDs?
- will nights lengthen again?
- how do we judge which days to do a nap?
- if we do a nap then how long should it be?

This has been a hard work couple of months so am hoping the final part of this transition will go ok but probably not knowing my DS so just wanting to avoid a total OT meltdown if poss!

TIA

Offline lolsyb1982

• Showing Appreciation 34
Re: 1-0: starting with some no nap days, couple of questions...
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 06:50:27 am »
No advice I'm afraid but following along if you don't mind as we are in the exact same place with DD  :)
Lauren

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 07:40:38 am »
Nights didn't lengthen here until after DS settled into the no nap routine. I think at the time I was happy with 11 to 11.5hr nights, he lengthened to 12hrs which he is still doing at 4.5yo!
Many people recommend shorter days but IME this risks EW and then the need for a nap to get through the following day. If nights are 11.5 I'd go for 12 - 12.5hr day.
If you do naps too often the night may not lengthen and the it may take longer to settle into the routine. DS had a few little naps in the car here and there where it couldn’t be avoided and after 2 weeks I could see we were both shattered, yk the behaviour was difficult, by this point there was no chance he would have gone for a nap in his bed but he said yes when I invited him for a nap and cuddle with me in bed. We slept on and off for 2hrs - but that was the last real nap.  Following that just the odd micro nap in the car when he was lulled by the movement. I very quickly learned he didn't like to be left to sleep longer in the car it made him dopey and grouchy.
At some point I also worked out he could do a longer night a couple of days per week which meant a weekend lie in!!!  I just moved his morning timer lights 30 min later and told him to have a lie in. Worked great and I enjoyed it while it lasted.

Offline K-JDA

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 16:43:42 pm »
Thanks Creations - really helpful. I would be chuffed with 11.5hr nights after the last few months!! Am sure there will be a lot of micro car naps - just hope they don't interfere!

Good luck lolsyb1982!!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 17:41:32 pm »
I would be chuffed with 11.5hr nights after the last few months!!
I know what you mean. I had about 6 months or so of the routine being off during the transition, it was a relief when the nap was gone.
Good luck :)