Author Topic: Need help  (Read 948 times)

Offline annar840

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Need help
« on: August 07, 2015, 16:39:49 pm »
Hi group. I'm really hoping you can help me. My son was born 4 weeks early and was 3lb 6oz at birth. He is 10 weeks now at 8lb 13oz and I have been implementing the 3hr cycle pretty well with him, but have several issues towards the end of the day and at night. Take a look at our routine below:

6:45-7 wake and eat
8/8:30 - Down for nap - he wakes at some point in the middle and settles himself back, but this can take some time. same with all naps.
10 - Eat
11/11:30 - Down for nap
1- Eat
2/2:30 - Down for nap
4- Eat
5/5:30 - Down for nap fr half hour. He can't nap for more than that
6 - Wake up and play
6:30 - Bath
6:45/7 - Eat
7:30 - Bed

He wakes up 2-3 times a night to feed.

It sometimes takes him a while to fall asleep, and I'm wondering if eating 5 times during the day is enough? When he wakes from his last nap, I don't feed him because he will be bathing at 6:30 and then eating right after. Do you think I should feed him upon waking from that last nap because it screws the whole EAS? and then feed him again a half hour later? When I've done that in the past he didn't eat a lot and falling asleep was hit or miss. I've only been doing this for 3 days, should I just stick with it?

Another issue I have is night wakings. He will give me a 3.5-4 hours stretch in the beginning of the night, but then wakes up very 2.5/3. Last night he busted out of his swaddle..twice. He also cant seem to settle himself well. It's like he's uncomfortable. He keeps groaning which he doesn't do during the day...How would you handle that?

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Offline lauradj

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 61
Re: Need help
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 17:30:24 pm »
Hi there!  Welcome to BW  :) 
From my experience, I would feed your DS when he wakes from his CN and then again at BT.  Cluster feeds are really helpful in topping kids up and getting those extra calories in, which will likely benefit your LO since he was born a little early.  I know Tracy suggests abandoning the cluster feed at 8 weeks but I would make an exception in your case, given the earlier arrival.  As well, I continued the cluster feed with both my boys until they were having two solid feeds a day but that was my choice.  Are you BF or FF?
2-3 NW is really typical for a baby of 10 weeks, it's brutal on Mommy but their little bellies just can't take in enough to sustain them throughout the night.  Regarding the groaning, it's possible he has some gas trapped in his belly from the night feeds.  Could you rub your hand up the left side of his back to get a burp out while holding him?  It may mean you have to stay up for a little longer but if it helps his comfort, he might sleep longer or at least more comfortably.  However, babies are notoriously loud sleepers, especially closer to the dawn and it can take some getting used to.  HTH!

Offline annar840

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 17:41:07 pm »
Thanks lauradj!

In the book Tracy was saying to cluster feed at 6 and then 8, so I figured, maybe I'll abandon it since he is 10 weeks, I also wanted to get him to bed by 7. Maybe you're right and I should try and cluster feed as he wakes from CN. The only issue with this is that I will be going back to work in a month and am afraid I'll miss that feed. I'm BFing now and will be pumping when I am at work. I guess I'l just have to see how he does tonight. Should I continue to swaddle? I swaddles my oldest until he was about 4 months but he was a calmer and bigger baby.

Offline lauradj

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 61
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 04:59:10 am »
Sorry for the long delay!  I was away over the weekend :)
Both my boys are asleep by 7pm.  I moved the cluster feed forward so they happen at 3pm, 5:45pm and 7pm.  My first LO was swaddle-free by 4 months because he found his thumb.  DS2 was swaddle-free at 2.5 months because a) it was too hot to keep him so wrapped up and b) he is a total Houdini!