Author Topic: 5 month old.. short naps and early wake ups!  (Read 857 times)

Offline smawfl

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
5 month old.. short naps and early wake ups!
« on: August 07, 2015, 19:47:46 pm »
Hi everyone,

Hope you dont mind me jumping in at the deep end and asking for help!  I was a big lurker back when my daughter was little, she's now 3 and we managed to get her into a good EASY routine and sleep through from 6.5 months.  She's now almost 3 and doing really well sleeping independently.

Anyway, DS is 5 months old.  He's still having 30 min naps and can't get him to go longer.  He's also still going through the 4 month sleep regression, which i think started at 3 months!!  He's waking about 2*3 times in the night, and the last week or so, is waking at around 5 am ready to party!!

Here's our rough EASY routine at the moment..

E- 6.45am
A-
S - 915am for 30 mins

E- 950am
Solids - 1115am
A-
S-1145am for 30 mins

E- 1245pm
A-
S -2pm for 45mins

E-330pm
A-
S -430pm for 30 mins

E-530pm
A-Bath/Bed
E - 715pm feed to sleep

E -11pm (woke on onn, not a dreamfeed)
E - 210am
E - 530am ..and struggle to get back to sleep!

We've just started weaning, and only offering fruit or veg at lunch.  HE can cope with about 2 hours awake time before showing sleep signs.

Any thoughts?

TIA xxx

Offline sparklewings1984

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Re: 5 month old.. short naps and early wake ups!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 20:56:41 pm »
Hi,

My thoughts would be that maybe he can't handle the 2hr 30 A time in the morning - have you tried cutting this back? Seems to be in an OT cycle.

My experience: I had big problems with my (now 10 months) DS and his allergies and reflux, but once that was sorted I realised he was chronically OT, and at 8 months old he needed a week of 2hr first A time (v short A time for an 8 month old!) to catch up all his sleep debt. We got some nice 2 hour naps, he then started waking at 45 mins and I realised he had caught up his sleep and was getting UT, that's when I started stretching his A time by 15 mins every 3 days. Now at 10 months he happily manages 4 hours A and we're moving to 1 nap.

That would be my first suggestion, how does that sound to you?

If he takes a good nap after a 2hr first A, he may be able to handle longer A time as the day goes on, it's very common. 

Hope that helps x
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 21:00:14 pm by sparklewings1984 »

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 5 month old.. short naps and early wake ups!
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 21:02:53 pm »
Hi swamfl, welcome back to the boards :)

How are things going now?