Author Topic: Just started climbing out of crib!! Yikes  (Read 3619 times)

Offline Chloevalentine

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 6
Just started climbing out of crib!! Yikes
« on: August 07, 2015, 23:14:12 pm »
Last week my mom was babysitting and at nap time she said she put him in crib went down stairs and a few minutes later he was behind her in the kitchen! Well one week later he did it for me today at nap time! He's been napping fine for about an hour or I wake him at 1 hour I also wake him in morning by 730 and he's been going to bed easier by 8 falling asleep within a few mins which is good. But I'm worried now that he will try this every day at nap and get hurt either falling out of crib or coming down the stairs!! Any tips? I don't think he's ready for a bed yet. He's 25 months.

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
Re: Just started climbing out of crib!! Yikes
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 01:37:07 am »
Not sure if this is possible for you, but the style of our crib had the back taller than the front, so when my DS started climbing out we turned the crib around so that the back/taller end was facing outward and the shorter side was against the wall.  That held him off until he was 2.5 when we transitioned to a BBB.

This obviously doesn't help if your crib is the same height the whole way around lol

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 01:50:36 am »
Both mine were out of a cot by that age, DS1 came out at 2yo because we wanted the cot for Ds2 & DS2 came out because he was climbing out. I just did it as I'd rather he'd climb out of a bed than fall out of a cot. We don't have stairs inside our house so that wasn't an issue, but by then I'd made sure they could master the outside stairs anyway so I think had we had them I would have still done the same thing.

I've always thought we need to listen to what our children's skills are telling us rather than using an age as the indicator.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline PaulsMom

• Showing Appreciation 41
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 02:51:46 am »
My DS climbed out of his crib so we transitioned him to a toddler bed.  At least with a toddler bed he could get back into bed. 

Can you get a gate for the top of the stairs?  You have to get one that is designed for use with stairs but it will up give you peace of mind especially at night.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 06:06:35 am »
My DS went into a bed not long after this age....we had a stair gate at the top of the stairs so I thought we were ok but he appeared one night in the doorway gave me the shock of my life lol. He's older now and understands he is to stay in bed.

Maybe try the bed and see what happens x
Zoe

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 07:55:45 am »
DS went into a bed at a similar time, and loved it!

As a last resort you could try a crib tent, but really you are just prolonging the inevitable.
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2015, 13:46:31 pm »
We do have a gate at stairs which I'm going to be sure to close but I have a feeling he's still going to be climbing out of the crib lol. I just hope at night when he's in a bed that he will stay put lol. I guess I thought we had more time before making the switch. He sleeps 11-12 hours at night soundly in his crib. I wonder how it will be once he's in the bed. Thanks everyone. I'm going to get bed shopping! I was thinking of buying the special side to go onto my Jenny Lind crib for now see how he does and then probably straight to a twin size bed up against the wall with bumbers. Any suggestions? Thanks

Offline PaulsMom

• Showing Appreciation 41
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2015, 11:21:01 am »
My crib transitions into a toddler bed. Both of my kids love it.  Something familiar but a bit new too.  My DS wouldn't stay in bed to fall asleep but then my DD wouldn't get out on her own until recently (she's been in the toddler bed since last Dec!).  Good luck!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2015, 11:33:40 am »
Mine was already in a BBB by that age too. I would move to a bed ASAP due to the climbing tbh.  I think these days many people leave moving to a big bed much later than previously but that could just be my hunch.
We had a gate across the bedroom door so I could shut the gate or shut the door or both. If yours can climb a gate though I'd spend time really instilling that this (visual) barrier is a no go. Absolutely no climbing the gate, not just for safety of the stairs but so you have more trust that he is in his room where you expect him to be yk?

For us there was no change to naps or night sleep with the transition to BBB - FX you experience the same.
We didn't use any bumpers or toddler rails, I had planned to but when I read around about it there seemed no need. Instead we did a 'bed safari' which is heaps of play on and around the bed in A time, crawling on the bed around the perimeter, climbing up and down, walking around the bed etc etc, this makes a mental map of the size and shape of the bed, the sooner that map is in place the sooner they don't fall out, it's the same as adults do to stay in the bed all night.  I put a couple of spare pillows and a duvet either side on the floor initially to soften his landing if he did fall out, only happened about 3 times though.

Toddler beds tend to say they go up to about age 4 I think, so maybe think ahead on it. If you buy a toddler size you only have a couple of years in it, less if your LO is tall. My boy is 4.5 and still in his toddler bed (it was a cot-bed) but we've just got a small double which will go up in a couple of weeks.
I also know someone IRL moved her toddler to a double bed when she was about 1yo with no troubles. I wouldn't have had the guts at that age but at 2.5 I don't see a problem, just look for one that is on the lower end of the scale rather than the higher end of the scale so the fall is not too far.  There's also no harm in just a mattress on the floor which then moves onto a big bed later on. so many options!

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2015, 11:46:29 am »
You could always do a mattress on the floor for a while
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2015, 13:17:10 pm »
You could always do a mattress on the floor for a while
^^ We did this for the first month or so.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2015, 16:52:07 pm »
Thank you everyone! He's in the 99% for height so I can't imagine he'll be in the crib converted or not much longer ha! I'm going to try the conversion and see how it goes. I just can't imagine that if I put him in a bed that he won't just climb right out lol!

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2015, 10:43:03 am »
We've had a few nnds in a row since lo has figured out that he can climb out of crib. He will spend about 5-10 mins in crib and then climb out. He hasn't done this at night probably because he's too tired without having a nap lol. So he's been waking in morning around 645-7 ( I was waking him by 730 for weeks) and he's going into crib by 645 passing out in minutes. I wonder if this new ability to climb out will end the naps ugh. It's just awful as he's tired in the afternoon and of course his behavior is not great due to it. He also isn't eating well at night or even able to play well ( he's clumsy falling or not able to do his puzzles, shape sorter etc).  Any tips on getting through this. Thanks

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2015, 12:02:46 pm »
Could you apop a nap? We did this for quite a while when DS refused to nap at this age.
Zoe

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2015, 17:05:11 pm »
He's in prime nap-dropping territory! I guess you caneither keep him going and put him to bed early, or try for a car nap on selected days. Once we got to the 1-0 I really didn't worry about where naps were as long as they happened when he needed them. We had quite a few sofa naps when he passed out watching a DVD.
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2015, 17:25:40 pm »
He never apops a nap anywhere not even the car :( he barely makes it until 645! I'm doomed

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2015, 17:29:52 pm »
Second the sofa naps, we had TV on and a blanket to snuggle, if he fell asleep great if not he'd rested and it would be EBT.
We had BT of 6pm some nights as he was so tired and he slept till 5.45/6am but if I'd have left him later he would've had NW or early WU with OT x

Zoe

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2015, 18:27:24 pm »
Second the sofa naps, we had TV on and a blanket to snuggle, if he fell asleep great if not he'd rested and it would be EBT.
^^Absolutely.  This was us too.  He would have a 'rest' on the couch with a movie and more often than not he would doze off.  We would try to have him rest for an hour...if he fell asleep great, but if not at least he was lying down and not bouncing of the walls with tired energy.  I'd say this lasted about 2 months or so and then he actually wanted to go back to having naps in his bed, and now at over 3yrs he pretty well alternates between nap days and nnd.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2015, 18:47:35 pm »
I'm hoping once the novelty wears off he might nap again. But he has no interest in laying on the couch that's for sure. He usually does 12 hours though so 645-645

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2015, 16:35:08 pm »
5 days in a row with no nap! Just climbs right out of crib! Sigh

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2015, 17:07:03 pm »
Personally I'd try something different for a couple of days like a chill on the sofa and stick with EBT. Some LO this age just drop naps and that's it but some go back after a week or 2.
Zoe

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2015, 17:20:10 pm »
Thanks :) no sitting still here and no interest in sofa lol. He was up at 630 this morning so we probably will do ebt at 630.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2015, 18:19:34 pm »
Reading books or having cuddle with mummy/daddy? I'd certainly not go later than 6.30 to avoid ot x
Zoe

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2015, 17:33:08 pm »
He ended up going to bed at 730 because we weren't home until then slept his normal 12 hours until 745 and be actually went down for a nap today at 1:15! First one since Monday! Guess maybe he was just tired. Back to regular bedtime at 8 tonight. Guess we will see what tomorrow brings !

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2015, 19:20:32 pm »
Eh got a 45 nap woke crying took a while to calm. Ugh this nap/sleep is so all over the place!

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2015, 19:35:11 pm »
Hope the night goes well.x
Zoe

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2015, 19:40:11 pm »
I put him to bed at 730 he didn't fall asleep until 8 but slept late today until 730 am! But no nap and we had a busy day in the pool and in the car for a long ride and stayed awake the whole time!! I don't know how he does it! I'm not sure how long he will make it up tonight. I'm thinking maybe an 11 hour day bed at 630??

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2015, 20:42:40 pm »
He's got stamina  ;)

Yes I'd say 6.30 if it's been a busy day x
Zoe

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2015, 17:04:57 pm »
If I could just get him to stay in crib for nap I know he's tired! He just climbs out everyday! Ugh

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2015, 17:16:39 pm »
Have you tried having him in your bed and laying down with him?  You could read him some stories etc. and just place some pillows around him until he falls asleep?

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2015, 18:38:17 pm »
I've tried that but he has no interest in sitting still or laying down. But I was able to get him to go down. After  his first scape I read him a book and put him back in he cried for a minute and then fell sleep. But he broke after 45 minutes hysterical for 15 minutes straight he also did this one day last week I can't figure out why.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2015, 20:38:28 pm »
So when do I just stop putting him in crib for nap? I think he's pretty much done with the nap :( but it's hard because by 4 pm he's tired and cranky and doesn't play just kind of mopes around and cries a bit. Guess I'll do a 730 bedtime which is about a 12-12.5 hour day.

Offline nona

• Showing Appreciation 95
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2015, 04:43:12 am »
hey i persevered and used a crib tent. can't remember exactly when my DD started climbing out - prob earlier than your DS. worked like a charm. we just switched to BGB mid summer only bc she was asking for one.  even though eventually you will switch to a bed it is so helpful. i did trust my DD walking around the house. my DS yes...my DD  - she will walk right out the door.

crib tents can be hard to find but it was a life saver.

even though my DD is about to drop her nap, she is still goign to have quiet time in her room everyday.

also, my DS went thru a nap refusal around then as well (he didn't climb out though at that age) and we persevered and he eventually started napping again. 
heather

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2015, 10:49:57 am »
But it's just odd that the two naps he's taken over the past few weeks have been 45 mins and he wakes crying and cries for a good 15 mins straight. Not sure why this is. He has been doing a 12 hour day with no nap which isn't too bad. It's just the afternoon is hard to get through because he's tired and cranky and in a fog doesn't play much or eat well either.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2015, 15:23:20 pm »

crib tents can be hard to find but it was a life saver.

There is a reason for that, although I am not aware of them being banned anywhere, they can be an entanglement hazard for an adventurous kid who would attempt escape anyways. We have opted to keep DD3 in a sleepsack until she figures out how to get out of it and then convert her crib to a toddler bed. The sleepsack keeps her from being able to lift her leg high enough to go overboard ;).
Heidi

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2015, 16:55:02 pm »
So I attached the conversion piece to the crib so there's an opening for him to get In and out.  He actually fell asleep for a nap today at 1245!! But I'm nervous that he will fall out his legs are hanging out of the opening. Not that it's a far fall and there's carpeting. But at night he moves around so much he's bound to fall out. Will he just get used to it ?!

Offline nona

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2015, 19:21:04 pm »
heidi - you are right but there is a model out there somewhere that meets the standards. mine is borrowed (and probably recalled). i have no idea how a kid could get strangled it though. ours is on so tight there is no way a child could. it was prob installation errors that caused the issue.

chloe - yes he will.. yay for a nap! you could put some pillows on the floor just in case. my DD doesn't move around too much in her converted crib. however, it is also packed with stuffed animals so she can't really move around too much period.
heather

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2015, 01:34:10 am »
Yeah it seems that way with most recalls Heather!

My oldest rolled out a couple of times onto the rug and kept sleeping! My middle DD we put a pool noodle under the edge of the bedsheet (toddler bed/crib convert had a slight rail but not enough) to remind her where the bed ended. Will do that for DD3 as well.
Heidi

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2015, 02:55:04 am »
What a great idea! Thanks for sharing! I kept the mesh crib number on that we've used since he went into crib so I'm hoping that's enough to keep him in :)

Offline nona

« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2015, 22:02:16 pm »
oh yea forgot about teh pool noodle that works great.

btw, my 8.5 70 lb DS still falls out of bed now and then - he just gets back in bed. it makes the loudest noise downstairs!
heather