Author Topic: Just started climbing out of crib!! Yikes  (Read 3620 times)

Offline Chloevalentine

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 6
Re: Just started climbing out of crib!! Yikes
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2015, 18:38:17 pm »
I've tried that but he has no interest in sitting still or laying down. But I was able to get him to go down. After  his first scape I read him a book and put him back in he cried for a minute and then fell sleep. But he broke after 45 minutes hysterical for 15 minutes straight he also did this one day last week I can't figure out why.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2015, 20:38:28 pm »
So when do I just stop putting him in crib for nap? I think he's pretty much done with the nap :( but it's hard because by 4 pm he's tired and cranky and doesn't play just kind of mopes around and cries a bit. Guess I'll do a 730 bedtime which is about a 12-12.5 hour day.

Offline nona

• Showing Appreciation 95
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2015, 04:43:12 am »
hey i persevered and used a crib tent. can't remember exactly when my DD started climbing out - prob earlier than your DS. worked like a charm. we just switched to BGB mid summer only bc she was asking for one.  even though eventually you will switch to a bed it is so helpful. i did trust my DD walking around the house. my DS yes...my DD  - she will walk right out the door.

crib tents can be hard to find but it was a life saver.

even though my DD is about to drop her nap, she is still goign to have quiet time in her room everyday.

also, my DS went thru a nap refusal around then as well (he didn't climb out though at that age) and we persevered and he eventually started napping again. 
heather

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2015, 10:49:57 am »
But it's just odd that the two naps he's taken over the past few weeks have been 45 mins and he wakes crying and cries for a good 15 mins straight. Not sure why this is. He has been doing a 12 hour day with no nap which isn't too bad. It's just the afternoon is hard to get through because he's tired and cranky and in a fog doesn't play much or eat well either.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2015, 15:23:20 pm »

crib tents can be hard to find but it was a life saver.

There is a reason for that, although I am not aware of them being banned anywhere, they can be an entanglement hazard for an adventurous kid who would attempt escape anyways. We have opted to keep DD3 in a sleepsack until she figures out how to get out of it and then convert her crib to a toddler bed. The sleepsack keeps her from being able to lift her leg high enough to go overboard ;).
Heidi

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2015, 16:55:02 pm »
So I attached the conversion piece to the crib so there's an opening for him to get In and out.  He actually fell asleep for a nap today at 1245!! But I'm nervous that he will fall out his legs are hanging out of the opening. Not that it's a far fall and there's carpeting. But at night he moves around so much he's bound to fall out. Will he just get used to it ?!

Offline nona

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2015, 19:21:04 pm »
heidi - you are right but there is a model out there somewhere that meets the standards. mine is borrowed (and probably recalled). i have no idea how a kid could get strangled it though. ours is on so tight there is no way a child could. it was prob installation errors that caused the issue.

chloe - yes he will.. yay for a nap! you could put some pillows on the floor just in case. my DD doesn't move around too much in her converted crib. however, it is also packed with stuffed animals so she can't really move around too much period.
heather

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2015, 01:34:10 am »
Yeah it seems that way with most recalls Heather!

My oldest rolled out a couple of times onto the rug and kept sleeping! My middle DD we put a pool noodle under the edge of the bedsheet (toddler bed/crib convert had a slight rail but not enough) to remind her where the bed ended. Will do that for DD3 as well.
Heidi

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2015, 02:55:04 am »
What a great idea! Thanks for sharing! I kept the mesh crib number on that we've used since he went into crib so I'm hoping that's enough to keep him in :)

Offline nona

« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2015, 22:02:16 pm »
oh yea forgot about teh pool noodle that works great.

btw, my 8.5 70 lb DS still falls out of bed now and then - he just gets back in bed. it makes the loudest noise downstairs!
heather