Author Topic: 4 month-old - Distracted when feeding - not sure how to keep his attention?  (Read 1635 times)

Offline spannarosy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
My son is breastfed but in the last month has gotten more and more distracted while feeding, to the point where I'm worried whether he is getting enough. He's a fatty, and his weight gain has slowed but remains fairly steady.. I'm just concerned about this distraction direction!

He eats ok for about 3-4 mins, but as soon as it hits his tummy, he bobs on and off, looking at things, trying to smile at me, trying to chat. I think it's as soon as the flow starts to slow down. My boobs constantly feel half full afterwards, and every couple of days I have to express the remainder or one boob in particular starts getting sore from not being emptied properly.

His attention span seems to be getting worse rapidly. Do I assume he will get what he needs and do what I have to do to keep my boobs healthy, or do I try to teach him to eat properly?

Has anyone dealt with this, and how do I go about it?

Offline anna*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
At this age I used to feed in a dark, quiet bedroom immediately on waking from a nap, so baby was still drowsy almost like a night feed.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
I did the same as Anna.

Some people have success with a nursing necklace.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline eva026

• Showing Appreciation 32
Boy do I remember those times:)

Like Anna, the only way I could feed DD for a good while was if I popped the breast in her mouth juuuust as she was waking from a nap. Before she woke completely and realized there was more interesting stuff than eating. Otherwise necklaces she could play with while BF and we even had DH make goofy faces over my shoulder to keep her head pointed in the right direction.

Offline spannarosy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
So does this continue? for a long time/ from now on? or is it just for a short stint?
Thanks for the replies :)

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Mine were always more distracted as they got older but the novelty does wear off, you learn to manage it and feeds get fewer.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011