Author Topic: Rice cereal amounts for 6.5 month old  (Read 1864 times)

Offline Mcgrad2003

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 08, 2015, 18:36:38 pm »
Hi, my DD started rice cereal a couple weeks ago.  We're only doing it once a day for now.  We plan to start puréed veggies next week.  I've read that you should give solids an hour after a milk feed.  However, I'm not sure if it's necessary to do both the rice cereal & breast feed since I kid the rice cereal with breastmilk.  At first, I gave her 1T of rice cereal with 4T (2 oz) of breastmilk.  That's what it says on the package for baby's first cereal feeding.  A few days ago, I increased the rice cereal to 1.5T of rice cereal to make it more of a solid.  Maybe I should be giving her more? 

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Rice cereal amounts for 6.5 month old
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 08:52:04 am »
I would focus more on introducing other foods such as vegetables and meat/fish rather than increasing the rice cereal.
Rice cereal has little in the way of nutrition so although it's giving baby an experience of eating solids there isn't really any other benefit. It's also pretty bland, vegetables, fruits and meat/fish offer more in the way of both nutrition and taste, and allow baby the opportunity to learn the tastes of the meals your family regularly eats.
There are many now who skip rice cereal altogether in preference for other foods, whether puréed or as finger foods.

I would continue to give the breast feed 1 hour before solids, at this age and up to 12 months your baby's primary source of food is milk. The regular milk feed routine will continue for several months yet.

hth

Offline Mcgrad2003

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 18:50:35 pm »
Ok, thank you.  I just puréed carrots & gave her some today.  I've read that you only start with 1 tsp.  just to clarify, that is just a teaspoon?  Or a tablespoon? 

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 18:51:42 pm »
Teaspoon :)  but honestly I would be more guided by your LOs interest and appetite rather than any particular recommendations xx

Offline creations

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 19:06:03 pm »
yes, what Katherine said.
Some babies are not very interested in solids at this age and a teaspoon might actually be more than they want, whilst others will polish off a much bigger portion and ask for more.
I'm not sure if you are planning to offer a variety of foods or do the 3 day thing, I just mention because carrots were quite constipating for my DS and if I'd given him just carrots for 3 days running he could have had some pain and difficulty to poo. I offered a variety of foods which I think helped him say more balanced in the poo department.  I also found he'd happily gum and munch on a prune (the pitted soft ready to eat ones) if I helped hold it (very slippery) which was perfect to balance out the carrot.

Offline Mcgrad2003

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 19:47:19 pm »
Ok, that's what I thought.  She definitely wanted more, but I was hesitant to give her too much.  She is bigger than the average for her age. Yes, I had planned to do the same food.  Her dr actually said to do the same for a week!  But I was also concerned about constipation.

Offline creations

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 19:54:04 pm »
Not sure where you are and guides are different in different places but the 3 day rule isn't used in the UK any longer, not unless there are known allergies in the family or with LO.  I would be concerned about offering the same food for a week based on seeing how one food can make my boy constipated and another (if taken every day for a week with no other foods) would lead to diarrhoea, something else could give him terrible wind and a week of that would be very painful but these are not foods he needs to avoid for an allergy or intolerance reason.  But it is a personal choice. Do what you feel is right.