Author Topic: 3.75 year old short nights and bedtime stalling  (Read 625 times)

Offline hanna

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
3.75 year old short nights and bedtime stalling
« on: August 09, 2015, 01:12:49 am »
Hello,
My daughter has started sleeping much less at night going from 11-11.5 hrs nights to 10-10.5 hrs. We moved two months ago and pretty much since then she's slept less. Since it's summer it's pretty bright at her bedtime, which is or has been around 19.00 asleep by 19:20. Her room is pretty dark so I don't think it's that or at least not the main reason.

She slept until perhaps 6.30 this morning, which was late for her. She's been waking up at 5.45 am and sometimes 5.30 most mornings lately. Tonight I put her down later at 19.20 and she's been calling me in there to sing to her several times. At least she doesn't leave her bed. It's now 19.55 and she is quiet.

She's always needed much sleep and OT has always led to early mornings before, but now if I put her to bed early she doesn't go to sleep anyway and/or she just wakes up even earlier the next morning.

Can it really change this quickly? My 5-year old still sleeps 10.5-11 hrs a night. At this age I think he still slept 11 hrs at night.

She has a gro clock but she doesn't stay in bed in the morning. She gets up and watches tv. I'm thinking about not letting her watch anything in the morning just to see if that will help, but she used to watch tv in the morning even when she was sleeping later.

What am I missing?
Thanks.

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: 3.75 year old short nights and bedtime stalling
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 02:04:15 am »
About 3.5yo (when DS1 was 5.5yo) DS2 started showing he needed less sleep than his older brother &  8pm-6am was a good night for him. Some children do just have less sleep than others
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline cath~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
Re: 3.75 year old short nights and bedtime stalling
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 19:43:47 pm »
Have you noticed any changes in her mood/behaviour? Does she seem tired or fine (like she's getting enough sleep)?

Could it be developmental?

You could certainly try stopping her watching tv in the morning to see if this helps.
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old