Author Topic: 13 1/2 month old waking early from nap  (Read 1034 times)

Offline NinNic

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 12, 2015, 19:43:30 pm »
Hi,

LO has been on EASY since she was around 2 months old. She moved to 1 nap when she turned 1. We had EW for months and now moving to 1 nap WU is anywhere between 5:50-6:45 am, more around 6-6:10 am I would say. We had struggles at BT with a lot of crying (might have been SR around 1 year of age?). It is better now, at least she is calmer, less crying although still may take her up to 45 mins to fall asleep at BT.

WRT her 1 nap, I had advice here to move it to around 12 pm when she started waking past 6 am, to push for later WU in morning. Was aiming for 6:30-7 am WU. Now I´m a bit confused as we have been on 1 nap for a while and lately she is waking early from her nap. Nap length is normally around 1.5-2 hrs I would say. Still varies a lot. When she wakes early from nap, I usually pat her to get her back to sleep (dont know if it is advised to still do this or if she is too old for it?). I was advised to try get her back to sleep again if she slept less than 1.5 hrs for her nap. I´m getting tired of it as the patting can take a long time and I don't want this to become a prop. Even if she falls asleep and I stop patting when she has fallen asleep, a lot of times she wakes up again after 2 mins and then have to pat again. So what I´ve done is I continue patting for a while maybe 5-10 mins to make sure she has fallen asleep, but really I don't want this to become a prop.

I´m also not sure if she wakes around 6 am if it is too late for her to sleep around 12 pm? She has slept fine for her nap with around 6 hr A time not waking early from her nap. Now I'm just confused as when I put her down at 12 pm when she wakes later in morning she still wakes early from her nap. I've been trying to figure out a pattern with her new routine as I've been told it takes time to transition to 1 nap, but I just don't know.

Earlier she had around 5.5 hr A time from nap to bedtime, then days were 13 hr days. Felt she was maybe a bit too tired during the day so have now decreased it to around 5-5 hr 15 mins and if she was waking around 6:30 am she had around 5.5 hr A time in morning. For a few days she had around 11.5 hr nights, which I felt was better for her as she was not tired compared to 11 hr nights or even less.

I have posted EASY for last 4 days.

So my questions are:

Do I need to tweak her EASY? Do I keep nap at 12 pm even if she wakes 6/6:30/6:45 am or do it at different times depending on when she wakes in morning?

Why has she started waking from her nap? Confused why she is waking even from 5 hr A, when I thought 6 hr A was too much. She still goes down fine if it's after 5 hr or 6 hr A time. Maybe takes her a bit longer to settle after 5 hr A time.

Should I really pat her back to sleep when she wakes early from her nap? If she wakes like today after 1 hr 10 mins? She won't go back to sleep on her own though. Do I just let her sleep less than 1.5 hrs? Do I that case put her to bed earlier for BT or same BT?

She is not LSN.

Sun 9 Aug:
WU 6:10
Nap 12:01, woke 13:11 pat her to sleep fell asleep 13:19-14:20
BT 19:14 took 40 mins to fall asleep

Mon 10 Aug:
WU 6:50 (very rarely wakes this late)
Nap 11:57, woke 12:42 pat her to sleep fell asleep 12:47-13:52
BT 19 took 25 mins to fall asleep

Tues 11 Aug:
WU 6:28
Nap 11:57, woke up 13:15 pat her to sleep fell asleep 13:28-13:51
BT 18:56 took 20 mins to fall asleep

Wed 12 Aug:
WU 5:58
Nap 11:56, heard her 12:45 fell asleep again, woke up 13:04 tried to pat her did not want to fall asleep
BT 18:44 took 20 mins to fall asleep (put to bed bit earlier due to short nap)

Offline NinNic

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 13 1/2 month old waking early from nap
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 20:03:49 pm »
Wondering if someone could have a look at my post I posted yesterday. Dunno if anyone has seen it as I had problems posting it yesterday.

Thanks!

Offline bloosiern

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 20:36:54 pm »
Just based on my LO's at that same age, I would probably PD no later than 6pm (goal to be asleep by 630) with a short/early-wake nap like that.  My YDD at that same age had a similar WU with a slightly longer nap (1.5-1.75) and was still in bed by 6pm.  Eventually being better rested overnight led to a lengthening of her nap which then pushed BT back to 7/730.

I just looked back at this sleep book I have and it says 11 1/4 hours a night and 2 1/4-2 1/2 hours for nap is average for her age so until the nap lengthens the early BT should get her the sleep she needs.

I'm no expert but thought I would chime in until one of the mods has a chance to look over your post.
Lisa

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 22:50:24 pm »
I'm no expert but thought I would chime in until one of the mods has a chance to look over your post.

Us mods aren't experts either  ;) we are just fellow moms keeping watch over the boards and offering advice the same as you (which is pretty bang on anyways :)).

6 hours A is really long for non lsn kid, we started one nap at 4.5/5 hours A time. I would adjust the morning A and do an ebt until the nap stabilizes and then work on moving the day forward. 
Heidi

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 06:12:39 am »
Like Heidi says us are just mums that keep an eye on things, definitely not experts as we have EW, short napping LO too  ;)

At this age it took a while for the long lunchtime nap to settle, anything less than 1.5 is really a short nap so I'd do an EBT on those days, anything over that I'd stick to 12.5/13 hour day. Have you tried a slightly earlier nap to see if she is waking mid nap due to OT?
Our nap at this age with a 6.30wu would've been around 11.30-1.30 with the odd 10 min CN thrown in at 3pm if nap was rubbish. Personally I got fed up with trying to resettle after 1 hour as DS took forever and I was bedroom prisoner lol x
Zoe

Offline NinNic

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 09:25:20 am »
Thanks ladies for all your advice!  :)

Yesterday she slept her nap for 1.5 hrs without waking. Def feel 1.5 hrs is not enough. She fell asleep 7 pm last night and woke around 6 am. She was so tired today so put her to bed and fell asleep just before 11 am, woke from nap 12:50 pm. Do I put her to bed today to fall asleep by 6:30 pm or is this too long A?

Ok will do 5 hr A time from when she wakes in morning.

If she sleeps 1.5 hrs or say 2-2.5 hrs for nap, do I still put to bed at same time or after 5 h A time? For instance if she wakes at 1 pm do I put her to bed so she sleeps by 6 pm and if wakes at 2 pm sleep by 7 pm?

Up to what age is ok to pat?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 11:07:43 am by NinNic »

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2015, 15:25:45 pm »
Depends on the child how long patting works for! My middle DD was good with patting for a long time, where my other two respond more to a sleepy phrase and just my presence.

I think sorting out the A times before and after naps will be a bit of guess work on your part depending on her mood after the nap.
Heidi