Author Topic: Night wakings and night feeds  (Read 913 times)

Offline Johandley

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 13, 2015, 06:09:21 am »
Hi. Wonder if anyone can help. I have an 18month old who over the last month has started to wake for an hour and a half every night. She was having one so for the last 4 months of an hour me a half and the. Sleeping 11 and a half hours through the night. Then about a month ago she just started to wake for an hour and a half. She's quite happy chatting away but want her to go back to her sleeping through the night. I usually put her down after 5 hours of awake time. She usually goes to sleep at 7pm and wakes at 7am. Any thoughts.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Night wakings and night feeds
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 15:01:38 pm »
How long is her nap? I would guess if her nw is that long and she isn't teething or ill that she probably needs the nap capped a bit!
Heidi

Offline Johandley

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 06:13:02 am »
She sleeps for an hour and a half. Could it be that I have to extend her awake time before the nap?

Offline Johandley

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 06:18:28 am »
Hi. My daughter of 18months has decided she does not want to eat during the day but is waking at night for another bottle. She does not have it all but cries until we give it to her. Then she drinks about 60ml. I'm sure this is having an impact on food being eaten in the day. Any suggestions?

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 07:34:27 am »
Depending on what methods you used for sleep training you could drop that night feed cold turkey and comfort her through the difficulty and frustration she will have.  Or you could do a rapid wean (that would be my choice, I am not a cold turkey fan myself) where you reduce what you offer each night:
night 1 50ml
night 2 40ml
night 3 30 ml
night 4 20 ml
night 5 and there after water only
Nights 1-4 I would take an additional bottle of water, if she is not happy with the amount of milk offered then offer the water but that's all she has, you don't go and get more milk.  After night 5 I'd expect her to not wake for the feed but if she did you would offer only water and help her back to sleep. If the NWs continued I'd try a W2S to see if you can cut the NW.

An 18 month old really doesn't need the night feed (unless very very poorly and has lost weight due to illness and is trying to catch up on missed calories).  It sounds more like a habit/prop than a need to eat if she is only taking 60ml.

If she's teething and in pain during the day putting her off her food she might like some additional milk in the day or some different foods which are more comfortable to eat - these could be softer, colder, or even harder. Mine liked hard bread sticks during teething, it gives something to gum on which actually reduces the pain in the gum.

hope this helps

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2015, 15:22:47 pm »
The eating at night makes me wonder more if it is a prop issue with the bottle? I would try creations weaning suggestions first before a routine tweak just to see.
Heidi