Author Topic: HELP - screeming to go down for naps!  (Read 894 times)

Offline careenk

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: August 13, 2015, 09:37:48 am »
Hi, i need help as I am getting so frustrated and down and depro due to my lo's naps!!

I have a 3yr old who i did bw routine with and worked beautifully.
My 3month old boy is another story!

He was very colicky to start with and thank goodness that got better so not as much crying anymore during day. He sleeps well at night and most nights go from 7pm- 6:30am and goes down beautifully at night.

I am struggling now with his day time naps. They are at most 40min if we are lucky with most naps being between 20/30mins so that off course throws out the whole routine but trying to just adapt and go with the flow re nap length and hoping it will get better. The biggest issue now is absolute hysterical crying before every nap! I have always done the same routine with nap times and it has just become a massive battle the last 2-3weeks. I try and get him to his room and draw curtains to get him in the "mood" about 75mins after he woke up from previous nap and as soon as I pick him up he will start crying which ends in about 30mins with him eventually passing out from tiredness probably and really eats me up! :( I am struggling with post natal depression and with alll the colicky crying am really struggling with these disaster nap times.

Any advice/help will be appreciated.

I have tried music too and makes no difference and his room is fairly dark.

Thanks!   

Offline Emami

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 41
Re: HELP - screeming to go down for naps!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 19:26:18 pm »
Hi hun, I'm wondering if he's UT when you start trying to get him down and the screaming is him telling you he's not ready.  Then by the time he's settled he's OT and does a short nap. 75mins is quite short for a 3 month old.  I would try adding 10mins or so and see if that helps.  Yay for the great nights though!
Emma

Offline careenk

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 09:40:05 am »
I had him on slightly longer and same thing hence why i am trying to start wind down in 75mins.
I am only really trying to get him to sleep in about 90mins so am just so confused and not sure what else to di :( 

Offline Emami

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 41
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 19:13:55 pm »
Ok, if you don't think it's routine related I have a couple of other questions.  You mentioned that he was collicky - do you think there's anything else going on? 20min naps can be discomfort, maybe he's screaming because something bothers him and he associates that with going to bed?  As an example both my two hated lying flat when they were younger and I kept them elevated until about 4 months. Neither of them had reflux as far as I could tell, but for whatever reason it was a problem.

The other thing I'm wondering is what do you do for a wind down? So you go into his room, close the curtains, and then what? The wind down may either be too short for him and he's not relaxed enough to settle, or too long and he gets frustrated. Have you taken the BW personality quiz? Of course all babies are different, but if you know his personality type it might help work out a plan for getting him to sleep.
Emma