Author Topic: Exclusively pumping and significant drop in milk - starting to freak out  (Read 1838 times)

Offline MamaBrown

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Hi, really hope someone can help or provide some guidance!

LO is 5 months old and I have been exclusively pumping for about 3 months. I used to get 150ml each pumping session (from both breasts), sometimes more depending on the time of day.

I started noticing a reduction in supply when I had a cold last week. I continued to pump but I am now experiencing a significant decline in milk production - I am lucky if I get 60ml in each session. I am pumping every 3 hours, am hydrated, well fed and well rested (thankfully I have an angel baby!). I am also putting LO on the breast whenever I can.

I am starting to freak out as I have already used up the milk I had frozen and am getting really frustrated.

Was it the cold that affected the supply?

Any help and encouragement would really help!!

Offline eva026

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 32
Yeah, illness can def influence supply.
I swear by fenugreek. It was dropped off by a lovely lady from this forum and within 8 hrs of taking it I saw a significant increase. Finally I had to keep taking it till I quit BF when LO was 1yo but it was def worth it.
You can also try marathon pumping sessions to simulate a growth spurt. STick to your usual pumping time, pump till you dont get any more, then take a 5 min break - load the dishwasher or sth - then plonk down and pump again. Repeat this a few times, even if you are pumping dry, the extra stimulation helps.
Otherwise do what you have been doing - put LO to the breast as much as you can. They can def do a better job stimulating milk supply. You can also try pump straight after you have BF LO.

and try not to stress - easier said than done, I know.

Lots of luck:)

Offline eva026

• Showing Appreciation 32
oh and it will take a few days so be patient. Just like a normal GS when LO eats all day and night for few days for production to catch up

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
Agree with pp. Fenugreek worked for me. I also ate oatmeal for breakfast a lot.

Offline goldmom

• Showing Appreciation 23
You may also consider that some parts on your pump may need to be replaced already if you're pumping often. Usually it's the little white silicone valve (depending on your pump type).

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Also, did you take any cold meds as decongestants can dry up supply a bit. It usually recovers after you stop though.

I second replacing the valve on the pump. It really does help. Are you using an electric pump already?

Many woman find output from the pump drops around this age. Milk is made more on demand during feeding, rather than in advance to be stored  in the breast, so it can be more difficult for the pump to suck out. If your Lo will feed from the breast a talk I would encourage that as well as supple,nets suggested above.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline MamaBrown

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Thanks for all the replies, really appreciated because DH is not providing any support or encouragement at all  >:(

I invested in some fenugreek and a new pump this morning - I have just pumped 120ml in about 5 minutes!! All I needed was a new pump.......jeez all that stress for nothing!! Sometimes I wonder where my common sense has gone.....

Thanks again lovely ladies!! Xx

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Glad the new pump is helping.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011