Author Topic: 5 mo waking up middle of the night  (Read 4083 times)

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: 5 mo waking up middle of the night
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2015, 22:13:31 pm »
I definitely think this is a prop issue rather than a just feeding issue. He's just used to looking for mummy to help him get back to sleep every time he stirs I think. Am I right in thinking he is 8mo now? If you would like help with gently teaching him to go to sleep independently, can I suggest you post on the General Sleep board? I think this would help him to do better naps in the day and also to enable him to just roll over and go back to sleep if he wakes at night and isn't actually hungry.

I wonder if he might do better with an extra milk feed during the day. BFed babies are used to eating more often in smaller quantities. So he is probably hungry enough 5hrs after his morning BF  when he takes that first bottle but he may not be able to manage more than the 5-6oz. Normally we say to offer milk first and solids an hour later so that they are not full from the solids. Solids like veg contain much few calories per ounce than milk so filling up on those can be counterproductive to increasing calorie intake. Would you consider either swapping the solids and milk feeds or offering a top up of milk at the solids sitting? That way you might get more calories in during the day.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2015, 09:09:16 am »
I have to agree with Ali. I don't think you'll have any luck settling at night until you tackle Independent sleep. I don't think he'd get that during the day and for bedtime he gets fed to sleep or rocked or walked but during the night you want him to do something different.  If you did want to go ahead its best if dad does the NWs so baby knows there is no milk coming and you'd need to resettle in the cot not by rocking or you'll just replace one prop with another x