Author Topic: When to drop the third nap  (Read 955 times)

Offline CeyAM

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 14, 2015, 17:37:21 pm »
Hello,
I am still following the 4hr EASY routine with my 6.5 month old son. Below is a quick outline of our schedule. When can we drop the third nap? Thank you!

7am - wake up/milk
8:30am - 1st nap
10am - wake up/milk
11am - solid food
12pm - 2nd nap
2pm - wake up/milk
3:45pm - 3rd (cat) nap
4:15pm - wake up/milk
5pm - solid food
6pm - night time routine (bath, read, milk)
7pm - sleep
11pm - dreamfeed (He is rarely asleep for this. I change his diaper, so he wakes up. Not happy to wake up but after eating, he goes back to sleep quickly)

Offline Kellyjs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
Re: When to drop the third nap
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 18:43:49 pm »
Hi, are you having any problems at night at all?

They are vv short A times he's doing for his age. See here Average A times- BOOKMARK ME!

However, it may be because he's high sleep needs. That short of an A time here would cause NW's and definitely EW! That being said, if you're not experiencing any of those I'd keep as is until the naps become shorter (less than an hour long), or you get BT resistance, or NW's in the early morning or lastly EW. Any of these would be a sign that he needs a bump in A time. In the meantime, appreciate that routine, I would've loved that!!  ;)

Offline CeyAM

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 12:32:33 pm »
Thank you! I think it makes sense to extend the A time. I will plan to put him down around 12:30pm instead of 12pm to extend the awake time to 2.5hrs. Just wondering when I can drop the cat nap. I am guessing I need to shift the whole schedule, right? Maybe sleep from 9am till 10:30am and then 1 till 3pm as the 2 naps. Any suggested schedules for 2 naps?

Offline Kellyjs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
Re: When to drop the third nap
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 11:40:33 am »
Here you go hun, but be careful extending too much at one time. We tend to suggest 15mins, hold for 3 days then extend again. As I said before though, if he's still happy with the current routine I wouldn't shake things up too much.

chronological EASY samples, 4-6 months
chronological EASY samples, 7-9 months
All about the 3-2 transition- 5/6 months