Author Topic: Ignoring gro clock  (Read 1571 times)

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Ignoring gro clock
« on: August 15, 2015, 06:18:44 am »
Hey ladies after some BTDT...DS is 3 yrs 3 months been sleeping great 7/7.15pm-6.30am for a about 4 months now and consistently on no nap. Would often shout around 6.15 but stay in bed till mr sun came up.

He's moved to pre school part of his nursery which is different building and ladies but quite a few of his old nursery friends moved with him. First week settling in he loves it, but last 2 weeks we've had a few tears on drop off but they say he's fine within minutes, he eats well there and plays happily, but every morning asks me if it's not nursery today.

The first week we had a few NW where he seemed half asleep but wouldn't stay in his bed and was saying there were flying things in the room and in our room took a good hour to calm him, that's now stopped but He's now started EW again 5.30am and won't stay in bed till Mr sun, it's like he doesn't even see it...walks straight past and comes to me for a cuddle. I haven't been strictly enforcing the sun as thought it might be a bit of anxiety and he might just need mummy for a couple of weeks!?!

He is pretty much an 11 hour sleep guy if he takes even a CN its 10.5 hours.

Just after some thoughts really  ???

Zoe

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Ignoring gro clock
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 18:19:58 pm »
Sounds like a bit of anxiety over the move at nursery. Perhaps you can set up some nursery role play so he can play out any feelings?
Maybe a one off EBT too just to cover teh sleep loss he's had recently. If he looks v tired he might need a couple of EBTs, the extra mental effort of moving rooms could be making him a bit OS/OT which is effecting his sleep?

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 18:22:42 pm »
On the subject of the clock, though, if you want it to retain its 'power', I think you need to decide on what you're going to do. You could for example turn it off entirely for a few nights if you think he needs the morning cuddles, and then switch it back on again - but if you allow the clock to be ignored, Id be concerned that is it for the clock. If you keep the clock, you really need to return him to bed when he comes in early, and remind him that it's sleep time until he sees the sunshine.

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 18:25:23 pm »
^^ fwiw I agree with Anna re the clock. 
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 19:05:31 pm »
Jacob never followed that clock - no matter how many times I returned him. He just couldn't see the point  ::).

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2015, 19:10:29 pm »
Thanks ladies, we did a few earlier BT but it doesn't seem to make much difference. He's super happy at the moment before/after nursery and on his non nursery days so did think it was anxiety. I think also they expect them to go to the toilet alone and shout if they need help but of course he's been used to someone taking him or checking on him so I think that's on his mind. We are doing bum wiping practice at home and he's doing well bless him but I did have a word with them last week and insisted if they see him off to the loo that they just ask if he's ok.

We've had a talk about clock today and bought some nice stickers he wanted and I've moved the time back to 6.15am so when he wakes and comes to us I'll go back with him. He was never very good with the clock but the last 4 months he's been more compliant.
Zoe

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2015, 19:12:28 pm »
Liz, DS sounds similar. When he's up he's up and ready to go. x
Zoe

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 05:32:54 am »
Well I've turned the clock off, having an awful time...having long 2 hr NW just wants us to stay with him all the time..ended up in our bed last 2 nights as I'm so tired with being preggers and having work.
Dreading him starting school next year if this is what happens when things change x
Zoe

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 07:07:05 am »
Hey I'm sorry you're having a rough time.  Just offering some btdt, we had a horrible run up to 3.5y with DDs sleep, lots of night terrors, NWs, and general faffing about.  I think a lot of it was developmental, she was really struggling with nursery drop offs at the same time (reminds me I should go back and update that thread...) but it was almost like a switch flipped 3-4 weeks ago and suddenly sleep has been mostly perfect and she's so much happier.  May just be a case of hanging in there, so hard when you are tired from being pregnant too I know but keep going xxx

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2015, 13:19:22 pm »
Thanks honey I remember reading your thread....I think it might be developemental too thinking about it his knowledge of circumstances and language is amazing at the moment and he is also realising a lot of stuff, things like it dark in my room and can you leave a light on mummy sort of thing. He is fine at his new nursery but his little face lit up the other morning when one of the old nursery (same company) key workers was there to help out....think he misses them. Maybe its getting used to his environment and having to be a little more to be independant about thats just playing on his mind. 
Funnily enough I spoke to my mum, who said she quite cleary remembers me at that age as she was pregnant with my sis having 2 hour NW for a good 2 months and nothing fixed it, they just stopped as soon as they had started.

Bonus weve had no tears at drop off this week and this morning no hanging back or crumpling face so that made me feel happier.

Maybe I'll just stick to our normal routine, havent moved BT too much as he doesnt really tack on these days and hasnt seemed OT and ride it out. xx
Zoe

Offline shresmummy

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2015, 14:40:55 pm »
Hi :) just having a read through your thread brings back memories of 3.5 yrs sleep nightmares with both my dd and DS. It lasted a couple of months, was a disastrous time and just when I was losing all hope it changed. Not because of anything particular I did, but looking back I think it was all developmental. Hope it passes soon for you Hun! Xx

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2015, 16:53:22 pm »
Thanks Hun it's nice to hear that others have had the same issues....I'm sure it will pass soon as do most things lol!!  He did have a CN yesterday of 20 mins in the car first nap in 2 weeks but he seemed a lot happier for it and we got a 10.5 hr night no NW so can't moan x
Zoe