Author Topic: Taking longer and longer to go down at night  (Read 1175 times)

Offline Daydreamer

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Taking longer and longer to go down at night
« on: August 17, 2015, 19:46:30 pm »
Hello all.

Looking for a bit of advice about our LO who is 15 months old. I would say she has been able to fall asleep independently in the past but the last 2/3 months bed time has become a nightmare and I think we're doing it all wrong!! We have always had to go in and out to her but it's now getting ridiculous.

Her routine is currently (not pleased with it :()
WU 6-6.30
Nap 10-12.30
Now she is refusing a nap in the afternoon
Bedtime 7.30

She has a comforter but no dummy. It is now taking up to an hour and a half to get her to fall asleep at night. She has her bath at 7, has a story, still has a bottle then gets her sleeping bag on and goes up to bed. We have been trying to use WI/WO having moved on from PU/PD.

Once in bed she might lie for a few minutes "chatting" to teddy then she will stand up at the end of the cot and get upset within a couple of minutes. We go in lie her down, say nothing, replace teddy and leave. You can be out the room seconds or 5 minutes and she's up again. But as I said this can go on for more than an hour. I'm sure she isn't teething as all but her back molars are in and she isn't showing signs. A few times my husband has caved and rocked her to sleep but I physically can't do that as I'm 5 months pregnant!! And I never did with her as a baby.

I'm not expecting any miracles, I would like to be able to put her down and it maybe only to take 20-30 minutes :lol:

Are we going in to early/ too late when she stands up??
Would pushing her only nap to later help?

Can you think of other things that might help her? And us!!

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Taking longer and longer to go down at night
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 02:26:11 am »
I wonder if she is OT by bedtime? 7 hours is a really big A time at this age. I would say since she is ready for.one nap to push the nap out further (I think we started one nap at around 11/11:30 and gradually moved it later as they got older) and bring bedtime earlier. When did she start refusing the second nap? Could be she started out undertired at bedtime and then started the silliness and it has just continued from habit.
Heidi

Offline Daydreamer

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 07:59:07 am »
Thank you for moving mods.

And thanks for the reply mse :) I did think she was overtired as she gets pretty fed up and grisly and quite clearly can't wind herself down.

My only issue is when to give her lunch when her nap falls pretty much in the middle of the day? Do you think it's ok to go to sleep straight after eating??

She's been refusing that second nap for several months now, occasionally if she is up at 6, has a shorter nap at 10 then she'll sleep about 3.30 in the afternoon but that then makes it even more difficult to get her to bed at 7.30/8.

This morning should be easier because for the first time in months she slept until 7.30, typical!! Lol.

I'll try keeping her up until after lunch and let you know how tonight goes!
Xx

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 13:20:10 pm »
Oh that is a great wake up! We kind of did. Split lunch...more of a big snack before and after the nap. My kids all happily sleep after eating, lol not very in keeping with EASY but needs must when the routine falls in weird places, the nap will shift later soon enough! Fx for today!
Heidi

Offline Daydreamer

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 15:02:18 pm »
Yeah I felt a little more human this morning!! :lol:

She only managed to sleep from 1pm to 2.15 so we'll see how tonight goes. :) Thanks xx

Offline Daydreamer

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 19:32:40 pm »
Well that was a very odd bed time!!

Had her usual routine and into the cot about 7.40. Stood up straight away but wasn't crying so I left her to wander about the cot, she then threw teddy out and started getting upset. I went in laid her down replaced teddy and left. She did this twice more then fell asleep before 7.55!!! So it took less than 15 minutes and only 3 going in's for her to settle.

I can't decide if this was fluke, coincidence or a combination of the later WU, later nap and not going in as soon as she was on her feet?!?!

I'm sure tomorrow will be different, I'm not expecting that little miracle to continue!! :D

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 03:26:02 am »
Lol expecting the unexpected is par for the course with a toddler! Here's hoping she surprises you and does a repeat!
Heidi

Offline Daydreamer

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 20:19:01 pm »
Well last night was a bit of a step back :( she woke up at 2.50 and was really upset. I tried and tried and tried to get her back to sleep in the cot but it just didn't happen, I had to give up as my pelvis was killing me standing over the cot so she ended up in with us :( I'm so angry with myself for that!! But she still took over an hour once in our bed to go to sleep.

She then woke up today at 7, went down easily for her nap at 12 and slept for 2.5 hours. Then fell asleep almost straight away at 7.45. She didn't even stand up, much better :)  So we'll how tonight goes. Xx

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 15:29:08 pm »
Aww don't beat yourself up.too much, sometimes it is just a case of everyone getting rest no matter how it happens!
Has she gotten her one year molars yet?
Heidi

Offline Daydreamer

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 16:56:22 pm »
Aw thank you!

Yeah she got those pretty quickly at 12 months, in fact she got all her teeth very quickly! :) Just waiting on those big back 4 to come in and I don't think they will be too long!