Author Topic: Time to drop a bottle?  (Read 1604 times)

Offline babyrose

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • My two beautiful strong boys
Time to drop a bottle?
« on: August 18, 2015, 10:51:13 am »
lewis and Leo are 9.5months almost 10 and I think it may be time to drop a bottle. Currently on 4 feeds a day, taking 20oz + I'm thinking to drop the afternoon bottle.

Our routine:

7wu
7:30 milk
8:30 b/fast
10:25 sleep (1.5)
12:00 milk
13:00 lunch
15:20 sleep (1.5)
17:00 milk
18:00 dinner
19:45 milk

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 10:59:38 am »
Why you think it's time to drop a bottle Honey? Normally probably around that age kids refuse drinking full 4 bottles but I am just thinking of you are preemies, if that's not too early.
~Marta

Offline babyrose

• Showing Appreciation 4
Re: Time to drop a bottle?
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 11:09:54 am »
I was sure Ayden was around this age when he dropped a feed but I can't really remember! We were told when they had their last check up with the paediatrician to treat them like their normal age, I may read into a bit more.

They aren't refusing any bottles as such just not taking an awful lot especially at the 5pm one say 3oz.

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 18:38:30 pm »
It's interesting Honey that at 10monts they tell you to treat them as babies born in due date especially when they went through tough times at the beginning.

But! My son dropped his 3rd bottle around 8mo but was a good solid eater. He was still taking 700ml+ milk per day in bottle (3x200-240) and some in solids. If their afternoon feed is so little I would think of dropping or scheduling it at different time. Maybe they are eating too closely to this feed or in general are taking too much solids so they refuse bottle.

20oz+ is a fine intake according to UK criteria (min is 18oz). Canada I guess is saying 24oz+. So just make sure thay don't go much beyond 20oz as they may start to wake at night for milk.
~Marta

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 20:42:12 pm »
An easier option is to switch things around a bit, so you space the milk feeds out further and they may actually take those bottles better overall.

The most common pattern is to do wake up bottle, breakfast and a snack before am sleep if needed. After the am sleep you can offer lunch, maybe a bit earlier for now if needed and then do the second bottle after lunch, before the pm nap. They should be hunger for their evening meal, so you would probably need to do that at 5 instead of the milk and then their bedtime bottle.

What do you think?

Laura

Offline babyrose

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 07:11:36 am »
I think just before they were 6months when we went to the paedatrician they said start weaning at 6 months, move into their own room etc basically typical 6month pattern and this was after what had happened. Another check up just last month they said they were doing great and I asked about the amount of solids I was giving ( this point it was spoon fed now doing blw) he said let them tell you what they want.

Thanks lolly that's an idea, might give that ago and see how we get on.