Author Topic: Suddenly lots of NW  (Read 2217 times)

Offline ENMS

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 63
Suddenly lots of NW
« on: August 18, 2015, 11:42:36 am »
DD is 11 weeks. She's never been a great sleeper but those past few nights have been really bad. Last night, after midnight, she has not been able to stay asleep for more than 1.5h which is unusual.

One thing that is new for the past 1-2 weeks is that she keeps falling asleep during NFs. I guess that is not helping as she is not taking a proper feed so she is continuously hungry? She used to be able to take a full feed and then go back to sleep. Now she does not even take a full side before falling asleep at the breast. I've tried to wake her up but it's almost impossible and then if I do, she just falls asleep again.

At first I thought maybe she was not hungry so it was just a NW but since she keeps waking up after I am not so sure?

Here is her EASY for yesterday:

W: 7:09
S: 8:38-9:36
S: 11:17-12:07, extended on us 12:30-2:45
S: 4:25-4:52
S: 6:35-7:20
BT: 8:55

She then woke at 12:30, 2:30, 3:30, 4:15, 5:30 and 6:45

Her naps seem weird for EASY but that seems to be her natural pattern - short naps except for a super long one early afternoo . She short naps but we can only seem to extend her for that nap.

She is not an independent sleeper but she does not usually fall asleep at the breast, at BT she falls asleep while I sit in a chair holding her upright. She has a pacifier during awake times and we sometimes use it for naps, and very rarely at night.

Please help I am so tired!!
Elise

Offline ENMS

Re: Suddenly lots of NW
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 11:46:47 am »
Also she is swaddled but she has recently started sucking on her hands so I am considering ditching the swaddle maybe it would help her if she could suck on her hands?
Elise

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 09:11:57 am »
Hello Honey! I am so sorry that you are so exhausted! I would wonder on couple things:
- she is in growth spurt - there is one around 12 weeks old, so could you just feed her more often?
- it would be great to think of setting an earlier BT for her as 9pm can be already exhausting - much closer to 7pm, would it be possible for you? they are capable of sleeping more (11-12h at night with breaks for NFs) at that age and they need it; frequent NWs make be also a result of OT
- her EASY is fine I guess if she prefers one looong nap and two shorter - just remember to feed her still every 3h or 3.5h soon as if on BF you want to put as much calories as possible into her; could you consider pushing her A slightly so your day is based on 3 naps (shorter, longer, shorter) and be within 7-7 frame?
- around 3mo in my opinion first APOP signs can be seen; so yes it's possible she became dependent on dummy, you, BF or anything else; ditching swaddle is an option - you may think of it, but this could be really difficult - we needed 2 weeks when DS was 4mo to get rid of it; at 3  mo we get rid of dummy - it was quite easy... 3 days, pfff and things were done:) so maybe that's to be considered

What do you think?
~Marta

Offline ENMS

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 13:50:05 pm »
Thank you so much Marta for your reply!

I do believe it could be a GS but then why can't she take a full feed without falling asleep at night? Maybe because she it OT? I've increased her feeds (she is BF but supplemented with EBM as she has tongue tie issues so I've been pumping more and increasing her supplements until my production increases)

As for BT - yes and I think your suggestion to push A times is great - right now wére in that spot where BT is either too early or too late, yk? Because I'm busy with the other 2 I cannot always make it for a super EBT. So she ends up with a later BT. I will try to go for the longer A times and see if it works. Who knows maybe we'll also get a longer first nap with a longer A.
Usually durng the day she will feed ever 2.5h because of the shorter naps and then will get a 4h feed for her longer nap.

Last night she got really mad at DH 1h after BT and totally broke out of her swaddle. We ended up putting her to sleep on her tummy (not recommended I know! We have an angelcare monitor so obviously we put it on to make sure she kept breathing ok).

So without the swaddle she did ok witj 2 NF and she sucked on her hands to get back to sleepnsucking on her hands.
Elise

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 14:08:37 pm »
Last night she got really mad at DH 1h after BT and totally broke out of her swaddle. We ended up putting her to sleep on her tummy (not recommended I know! We have an angelcare monitor so obviously we put it on to make sure she kept breathing ok).

So without the swaddle she did ok witj 2 NF and she sucked on her hands to get back to sleepnsucking on her hands.

From what I remember, for us nights without a swaddle were quite easy. We did have  some rough mornings once or twice but really nothing more. So maybe consider no swaddling for nights, but keep her on her back (as a safer option) so she can still suck her fingers. We transferred to sleep sack from swaddle and thanks to that we had a great sleeping cue for my DS. For naps where unswaddling may be much more difficult - you still can swaddle if she accepts it or unswaddle but put her on tummy - during day you see her, she is probably close to you when asleep so together with breath monitor, I guess I would feel ok/safe. But as always it''s your decision Hon.

Hope that helps!
~Marta

Offline ENMS

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 17:06:24 pm »
Good to know for the swaddle thanks.

What was the sleeping cue? I find it hard to read her cues she does not show much I find
Elise

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 08:33:33 am »
Sorry if I explained wrongly but  I meant that sleep sack was a cue = information for my son that it's time to sleep. It's like that until now, so when I put him in sleeping bag, he knows it's a moment to go to sleep. It helps now when we are not at home and I cannont use crib to let him know it's nap time.
~Marta

Offline ENMS

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 23:38:12 pm »
I am trying to make BT earlier but she is having a hard time falling asleep so I'm pretty sure I am doing something wrong.

Today's EASY went like this:

WU 7:30
S 9:30-10
S 11-11:15
S 1-4
S 5:15-6

We had a medical appointment this morning so she did 2 short car naps. Then she had her huge nap which I had to wake her from and I also woke from the CN.

We started BT routine at 6:45 but she is taking forever to fall asleep and I have needed to give her the pacifier to relax (I am trying to phase out the paci).

Last night went the same it took a good 2h of being with her in her room before she was finally asleep for good (lots of falling asleep then waking etc). She had an amazing night though - slept from 8:30-4 and then fed well and slept again until 7:30!

Is the last A time too long / short or is the CN too long?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 23:44:51 pm by ENMS »
Elise

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 05:25:30 am »
I think she might be UT but this is probably a result of 3h nap and a catnap. Probably if her third nap was shorter or ended earlier catnap of 45min wouldn't be so bad. Can you make this catnap 20min?
~Marta

Offline ENMS

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 08:11:33 am »
The day before the CN was 20 minutes. But she had a shorter PM nap.

So you think the 3h nap is too much for her? I figured that since the AM nap was a
sp short it would be ok?

At that age what is ideal? 1h30 or 2h naps?
Elise

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2015, 09:29:08 am »
Oh no Honey - I think 3h is fine, but we have to consider that 3h make her really rested for the afternoon. 1.5h-2h naps are fine when going for strict 3-4h EASY at that age. When your DD prefers slightly different routine, that's fine - we just have to think how to address it.

So can you once again post your log  for past 4-5 days (only time and length of two last naps) and BT (if she struggled or not).  Let's try to think how to address it.
~Marta

Offline ENMS

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2015, 16:39:38 pm »
I don't write down her routine every day  :-[ :-[

I've only been trying for an early BT for the past 2 days before that I let her sleep as she wanted and then did BT after her last nap.

Wednesday: had her long nap earlier in the day so 11:30-2:30 and then a CN 3:30-4 (car nap) and then 5:30-6:10.  Started BT routine at 6:45 and was asleep for good at 8:30 (lots of on/off sleep between 7:30 and 8:30)

Thursday: nap from 1-4 then cn 5:20-6 if I remember correctly and then started BT at 6:45, asleep at 7:50 I think.

Last night she had NF at 1 and 4 and was very difficult to resettle after the 4:00 one. Woke at 6 but resettled her until 7.
Elise

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2015, 18:37:51 pm »
Honey I am quite sure it's the last nap of the day. It's just too long. Can you cap it to 10-15min? We were doing nap till 4pm at 3mo and 10-15min nap at 5:45-6:00 and BT was 7:15-7:20 and he just conked out at that time.
~Marta

Offline ENMS

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2015, 18:56:00 pm »
Ok great.

For today she fell asleep at 1:30 so should I wake her at 4? And then do a 15 min CN like you suggested?
Elise

Offline ENMS

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2015, 19:49:05 pm »
Nevermind she woke at 3:45 so I'll aim for a CN 5;15-5:30 and then BT at 7?
Elise