Author Topic: 11mo NW standing in cot  (Read 1314 times)

Offline arabesque

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 12
11mo NW standing in cot
« on: August 18, 2015, 20:28:59 pm »
Hi everyone,

What's the best way to deal with a baby who is standing up crying? I have been feeding through the night but am pretty convinced she's not hungry (doesn't suck vigorously at all) and now she's waking multiple times a night , standing and crying.

Would love some help pls :)
DS1 July 2007; DS2 April 2010; DD September 2014

Offline Emami

• Showing Appreciation 41
Re: 11mo NW standing in cot
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 21:01:07 pm »
I am in the exact same boat with my 9 month old.  I wish I had a magic solution, but unfortunately I think it's one of those things that the only way through is through.  It's frustrating and exhausting but it won't last forever (it is hard to care about that at 3am though, I know). Does she know how to get back down?  Mine doesn't, so that's the only practical advice I have is to help her practise during the day so that hopefully she won't do it at night, or at least can lie herself back down and need less intervention.  I wouldn't feed her if you can help it.  Maybe once in the early hours if it gets you a quick resettle, but definitely not multiple times a night at this age.
Emma

Offline arabesque

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 21:57:17 pm »
Thanks lovely  :)
Did has never been a great night sleeper but this is just cruel LoL
I think she does need more practice, you're right. And I don't want to fallback into the trap of paring her so to sleep, so I think I've reverted to feeding to calm her and put her back to sleep, but that's more of a trap than patting I guess! Thanks for your encouragement :) hope your LO learns to sit back down soon too!

Offline Emami

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 07:42:36 am »
You too! Let me know how you go
Emma

Offline Cbusmama

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 14:46:52 pm »
I am in the same boat with my 10 month old!  She does it before falling asleep and during NW.  I lay her back down 100 times at BT.  The frustrating part is that she knows how to lay back down, but won't do it.  Have you ladies found that it works best to lay her back down each time, or to let her lay down herself (eventually)?  At BT she will sometimes stand and jump around her crib without crying.  Should I let her lay herself back down?

You're def in my thoughts.  Maybe it's a deveopmental thing since we're all going through it at roughly the same time??

Offline Emami

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 15:18:26 pm »
Cbusmama, I wouldn't lie her down if she can do it herself and she's not crying. Just leave her to it unless she is upset. My oldest used to stand too and sometimes it took her a while to go off to sleep, but she would eventually just plop down and settle. My second is not doing so well with it!
Emma

Offline Cbusmama

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 18:03:39 pm »
Would you lay her back down if she starts crying while standing?  I am currently putting her in crib and then sitting in a chair across the room.  I do shh/pat her when she starts to cry. 

Offline Emami

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 19:18:09 pm »
Since she knows how to get down I would probably pat the mattress or something to encourage her to lie down herself.  Basically as little intervention as possible.  I know that's easier said than done though when it's the middle of the night and you want everyone back asleep as quickly as possible.
Emma

Offline arabesque

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 20:52:13 pm »
I tried practicing with dd yesterday- she got upset at being in her cot. But then the night was better! She can't lay down but seemed to accept it more when I laid her down. Took 20 mins of me doing PD but she went back to sleep and ....slept through!!!

I would lay her down then stand in her room but more than arms length away. Just did it over and over until I heard her sigh and then I crept out. I think what we are each doing is great. Lots of practice and then just repeating the pd.

Xx