Author Topic: 8 months frequent night feeding  (Read 3385 times)

Offline Alisa masik

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 19, 2015, 06:42:10 am »
hello girls,
your advice needed. my baby girl 8 months old still breastfeeding , waking every 3 hours to eat .and actually eats both sides. it began more frequent since the solids and the teeth came. past month. but since she was born she never made it trough the al night.
she is with a paci' when she wakes i try to give her paci for long time 30 min; but she wont settle down and cries till i feed her.
she wakes almost in the same hours: 10,1,4-5,7  .i used to give her NF at 10:30 but now she wakes early before- at 10.
is there anything i can do to reduce the feedings?
she still sleeps in our bedroom m will it help to put her in her brother's room?  i moved him at 5 months and he sleeps trough since then.
easy:
7 wakes
8 bf
9 solids
9:30-10 Sleep for 45 min
12 bf
1 solids
1.30-15 sleep
16: bf
17:30 solids
7 Bd
10,1,4-5  bf

thank you

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: 8 months frequent night feeding
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 20:12:41 pm »
Does she have another BF before bed?  I'd be aiming for four daytime feeds if not. 

Is she an independent sleeper??

Offline Alisa masik

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 10:27:32 am »
o ofcourse she has bf before bed. sorry forgot  she have 4 hours between the bf.
she has a paci so i guess not  independent. she fell asleep with it.

Offline Alisa masik

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 19:38:51 pm »
Any insights ?

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 22:04:30 pm »
My bet would be a mix of paci prop dependency and UT/OT cycle. Is she just having 2hr15 of daythe sleep every day? Her first A time is very short so I wonder if you would get a longer nap if you pushed the first nap about 30 mins later. You might have to do it more slowly.

Can she replug her own paci?

Maybe also look at how much solid food she is having and cut back a little if it is a lot. She could be filling up on solids and not leaving room for milk during the day so she is making up for it at night.

How old is her brother? Personally I wouldn't put a baby in with an older sibling just yet unless he is much older.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 13:31:21 pm by *Ali* »
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Alisa masik

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 07:21:23 am »
hi'
thank you for replying.
she cant plug he paci cause she throw it on the floor every time.
her brother is 1.8 years old.
she lately goes for the second nap at 10:30 , 11  and still naps for 45 min.
solids: she really eats very little ' she doesnt like it very much.

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 12:18:15 pm »
I wouldn't put her in with a sibling that young either. 

I think this is probably a prop issue rather than a hunger one.  If you want to keep the paci you could do use shh pat or gradual withdrawal (or a combination) but as the paci is likely part of the problem I'd be tempted to get rid of it and use PUPD or shh pat to help her learn to settle alone.

You could maybe do a dreamfeed at 10/11 then not feed again until say 5am?

Offline Alisa masik

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 12:22:38 pm »
I do a feed at 10. But she wakes up by herself. It used to be a dream feed.  But then she wakes again at 2 and 5 both times to eat
She wakes up at night not because of the paci. She is eating, she would not exept the paci instead. 

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 12:27:02 pm »
But it could be a habit feed, that's the point I'm trying to make.  A dependence on the feed to go back to sleep, a learned hunger rather than genuine need to eat every 3h overnight.  She shouldn't need to feed more frequently at night than in the day and 3h is the time they come into light sleep between deeper sleep cycles.  I've been there hun with DS, putting in a bit of effort to resettle him made a lot of difference here x

Offline Alisa masik

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2015, 12:33:46 pm »
thats what i though about the 10 o'clock feed, so i tried to resettle her but whiteout luck and also she eat  both sides every time she is up.
u think i can drop the 2 oclock feed?
we had it one night but she continue waking up every hour since that till i fed her.

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2015, 19:31:57 pm »
If she is that hungry at night then I'd say you need to add in at least one extra feed in the day to move those calories to the daytime. It could be that she is unable to get what she needs from 4 BFs. Depending on your storage capacity she may need more frequent feeds. Does she have both sides in the day too for every feed? What about topping up after a (or each) solids meal?

I'd also get rid of the paci so she gets used to going to sleep without sucking. Does she have a blankie/lovey she could hold to her mouth instead perhaps?

Offline Alisa masik

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2015, 19:38:57 pm »
during the day she soetimes eats frequent because she refuses to eat both sides but then she cries and eats again,
i will try your advice about the solids after bf, although she isnt a fan of solids as well :)

she doesnt have any other prop she like ,except of the paci.
the paci come her down also during the day because she is teething' so is it smart to take her paci away?

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2015, 19:45:45 pm »
Sorry, I meant adding in an extra Bf after you give here her usual solids. Might not have made that clear.

You can of course keep the paci if you want to. She will likely still need help getting back to sleep each time she stirs at night though. Unless of course the change in feeds helps.

Offline Alisa masik

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2015, 19:55:29 pm »
o i understand, but again somedays like today she was very picky about bf. she ate both sides only in the morning, all the rest of the feeds' were after 2-3 hours she wasnt very hungry so she ate less , every feed.i belive its because of teething , although as you know it can continue forever :)   , so we had  much more bf than 4 but not very efficient. and so she woke up at 9:30 to eat. ate  fully and now she is up again but not eating just stirring .
so i m really concern about her day calories  cause she refuses to more BF and solids as well.

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2015, 20:01:29 pm »
You might have to just ride it out if it is caused by teething.

Have you tried medicating if she is in pain? Or other things like a frozen wash cloth, chilled teether, teething powders etc.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 19:57:35 pm by *Ali* »

Offline Alisa masik

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2015, 20:06:28 pm »
yes of course i put teething gel  it helps a bit and also some baby akamol  when it is really bad. yesterday her teeth were ok but she still ate not full bf. so im sure you are right she eats not enough at the day so she compensate at nigh , but im so tired of all the BF, i dont know what else to do.

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2015, 06:34:03 am »
Will she feed better when sleepy do you think? Have you tried rushing in as she wakes and feeding in the still dark bedroom?

Offline Alisa masik

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2015, 09:10:59 am »
yea tried that a bit better but again she looks like she isnt interested

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2015, 19:58:07 pm »
Maybe try the extra day feeds and offer the dummy for that 2am feed?

Offline Alisa masik

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2015, 21:43:13 pm »
Will  try that thank you so much !

Offline Alisa masik

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2015, 09:00:39 am »
hi,
im so tired, there isnt any change ,she still wakes up 3-4 times a night, and now she  eats poorly when she is up, she fall asleep after few seeps. but if i dont feed her she can cry for an hour .
i know it is probably cause she  doesnt eat well at the day time. she takes few siips everytime and now instead of feeding every 4 hours it is every 2. also she eats very little of solids, she refuse at all or sometimes eats maximum 2 spoons.
bd 7-7:30
nigh wakes:11,2,5
wake up :6

nap : 9:30-10:10
nap:14-15:30

really appreciate your help .
im really  desperate
thank you
alisa

Offline Bella89

• Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2015, 16:15:06 pm »
Hi Alisa,
I am so sorry you feel that tired. I hear your pain. I know, to tell you that I've beed there is not helping a lot, but I have, and still am a little:/ i will try to give you some random advice that I got together from different posts here.I have little experience, but maybe I could help a bit.
1.Unfortunatelly at this point, you have to get your strenght together and change her way of seeing food. The reason she is a snacker is because she eats a little BM which is thin during the day I think.
2.The other thing is, If your DD cries a lot when wants to be BF dummy could be making her angry at this age.if you don't want to get rid of it, try using it only to sleep-before naps, BT and and night(but only if she takes it well). Do you use it during the day when she wants to be fed?
3.It seems like her first nap is too short, but you probably know that already,some kids are like that.But make sure, the first A time is the longest during the day. You can do that in small changes, like 15 min. My DS WU was 5:30 and at 7 months could barely do 2 h sometimes, but got really good when we got to 3,5h. Other A times got shorter. After 2 weeks we doubled or nap and started WU at 6.30(yay mama).
4. In terms of solids- try going back, giving her sweeter stuff like carrots, sweet potato, some fruit, rice with BM or formula. I know you want her to. Eat better things, but better to patiently make her like solids again that fight every meal. Again, this is how I did it, sorry for that.

More coming when i will put my DS down :)

Offline Bella89

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2015, 18:06:49 pm »
Ok, I'm back.
So, just to help me understand it better. She wants to BF every 2h during the day as well? I.e. :
6:00 WU and BF, 8:00 BF ? Where you fit solids into that? EASY would help.
When it comes to your original issue, NW.
When is her last feed? I would just assume she can handle 4h EASY and focused on that for now. So If her feeding is at 7, try not to feed before 11, then 3, 7morningFeed. Do you think she can do that?
Then I would dropp 1 feed and extend that time to 3h 20min. And so on. I know it's terrible and lots of work, but I think it is worth it.
Now, a totally different question, have you ever given her bottle?
What do you think?
This is all my experience, what worked for my DS and us. Sorry, I wrote so much. HTH!
Keep me updated I will try to help. Good luck!

Offline Alisa masik

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2015, 18:50:41 pm »
hello Bella
thank you s much for your helpful advices .
1. you are so right about the pace at night- she does get angry when i try to plug it in instead of Bf. but yesterday , she BF at 7 ,110:30  and woke at 2, cried till 3 untill i gave up and feed her but she took a few seeps and fell asleep. during the hiur tried the paci- didnt work and shhh and patt. when i pick her up she still screams so it doesnt help. then she woke at 5- ate ,and WU at 6. so i shouldnt give her the paci when she is up at night?
2. she loves only sweet apple and pear, not even banana or sweet potato, nothing, every time is a battle, but even apple and pear she eat few spoons. also she doesnt like spoons , only finger food, but she just play with it, i put it in her mouth and she takes it and throw. so i dont know what to give her, i just try everything we eat, sometimes she will eat heath a spoon.
3. Bf every 2 hours- yes , sometimes cause she seems hungry, but then she eat only one side and again seems to be hungry in 2 hours.there r times she eats well and lasts for 4 hours.
4.bottle- no i havent try- do u think  it will make a difference?  im planning soon to start adding formula , maybe it will change something.
5. morning nap, sometimes her A time is longer- 4 hours, then she sleeps for 1.30 min but only 40 min on her afternoon nap. so it wouldnt be longer then 1.30 and always one nap will be short.

thank you so much for sharing your experience, it helps :)

Offline Bella89

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2015, 19:58:09 pm »
Ok, now we know something:) 
So with the pacifier, I would say try it at night, but if she cries over it take it out and not try again.
I think she wakes of genuine hunger, either learned or not, but she is hungry. I would try not to make her wait that much. After an hour she was probably to tired to eat. Try getting closer to 4h feeding routine, but slowly, every night, If she wakes at 2, and nothing works (PU, shh) try not to pick her up from the crib for 15 or so min. When you pick her up she is probably getting ready to BF and is suprised you don't give it to her. Feed her at 2:15 for 3 nights, then 2:30... Could your DH help you a little with settling her in the crib?
I really have little experience with solids, sorry:( have you try mixing things with milk, make it thinner, more liquid? Would she eat baby rice with milk and some fruit in it? What if you would give her extra spoon to hold?
When she is hungry after 2h, I would try solids then, baby rice with milk and water after. But that's only if she would not get too frustrated. What you think?
With bottle I am resistent to tell you... This is what helped my DS. He was too active to BF during the day, he didn't want to sit still for BF, didn't have time to eat.:)I tried a bottle, because it was easier for me to put it in his mouth. He took it really well. At first I was pumping, then replaced it with formula ( We're weaning because we're trying to get pregnant again;). He started eating again! This is totally up to you. I don't want to suggest anything because BF is wonderful and important. It worked for us, but it has to be your decision.
With naps, maybe she just needs that amount of sleep and is ok with that. Just make sure that short naps are not the reason she wants to eat sooner. Other than that your fine I think.

Offline Alisa masik

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2015, 20:14:12 pm »
Really helping ! I will try all your suggestions
She is also very active and looking all over refuses to Bf. Even tried to cover her with a baby cloth, she still wants to be up and ready for action. Maybe when we start with a formula it would help her too. Like with your little one.
Naps; yes her older brother-1.10 years old is also not a great Naper   So I guess maybe she caught it from him ;)
About picking her up at night ; I didn't even thought that she is getting ready to eat and I just put her back, it might be the reason she can't settle down. Thank u for that.

Just feed her: she ate at 7:20, now she ate again 10:40. Let's see how the rest of our night goes.
Again : very helpful, thanks a lot. Will try all and keep u posted.
Good luck with the pregnancy ;) it is not easy when the age difference is so small , but at least the little ones will have fun together ;)

Offline Bella89

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2015, 20:23:44 pm »
Thank you! I would assume it's twice as fun running between one and the other;D i already have my DH vow in writting that he will help more. I hope it's a good decision.We got a textbook baby, so I'm just waiting for the next one to turn our lives upside down, just to balance it out:)
Hope everything will get better for you! Keeping my fingers crossed:)