Author Topic: Great naps but bedtime and night sleeps are horrible! 8 month old  (Read 1374 times)

Offline Eggimou

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
My baby just turned 8 months old. She sleeps one big nap in the morning and one in the afternoon (usually). She goes down easy for both. However...bedtime is a terror! As soon as we enter the bedroom, she starts fussing and crying. Usually takes a good hour to get her calm and settled for sleep. Then night time routine starts (it's been happening the past week). She wakes every 2 hours or so crying and i honestly have tried to settle her over and over without nursing but it seems this is the only thing that will get her to calm. Exhausting!
Our routing goes as follows...
730 - wakes and milk
830 - solids
930 - sleeps (1.5-2 hours usually)
11/1130 - wakes and milk
1230 - solids
130/2 - nap (1.5 hours)
630/7 - bedtime

Any help at all is appreciated!!

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 48
Re: Great naps but bedtime and night sleeps are horrible! 8 month old
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 20:24:59 pm »
It seems Honey that you expect her to sleep and sleep:). With 7:30, 6:30pm BT means 11h day and 13h night and more than 3h on naps. With result of 15h+ at that age she would be really hsn. If your problems started recently it probably means she IS high sleep needs but it's definitely a time to start capping one of her naps.

Have you seen links about 2:1transition on FAQ board? Your are probably far from final transition but capping of the naps is a first step.
~Marta

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 21:23:51 pm »
It seems Honey that you expect her to sleep and sleep:)
^Agreed.

probably far from final transition but capping of the naps is a first step.
Or even you could try making BT later or WU earlier.

Rather than capping a nap and keeping a 13hr night which is highly improbable at this age, I'd work on extending her day length by increasing the first A time. At 8 months, she could well still be fine with two full naps if she had a night of 11hr rather than 13.

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 05:59:01 am »
Thank Bec, you're totally right:)! It was late yesterday when I replied and shortening night to even 12h didn't cross my mind!
~Marta