Author Topic: 22 month old refuses to nap only on weekends  (Read 921 times)

Offline blueberry7

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
22 month old refuses to nap only on weekends
« on: August 23, 2015, 05:59:42 am »
My 22.5 month old son usually takes one nap from 12:30/1pm and this nap can last anywhere from 1 hour 15 minutes to 2 hours.  He sleeps 10.5 to 11 hours at night - from 8pm to 6:30/7am.  For the past 3 weekends, my husband and I have had trouble putting him down for his afternoon nap on the weekends.  He is clearly tired, but resists napping and just stands in his crib crying.  We have exhausted every single method of trying to put him down (e.g., holding, cuddling, milk, hanging out in the room with him, pick up/put down, going in and out of the room, etc.) and after 2 hours of trying we decide to take him out for a walk in the stroller or a car ride in his car seat and he almost immediately falls asleep.  He only sleeps for 30-45 minutes max in this position, which I think isn't enough.  This then throws off the late afternoon/early evening activities as he is overtired for the rest of the day. 

He goes to daycare 3 days a week and to my in-laws and parents the other 2 days.  He naps fine then.  He just resists nap at home with us.  Any tips on why and/or what we can do to fix it?  I feel horrible that the poor kid is super sleep deprived on the weekends because of this.

Thanks!

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 48
Re: 22 month old refuses to nap only on weekends
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 06:03:31 am »
He probably is too excited that he is at home with you. Have you consider pushing the nap a bit? Sometimes when you put them down too early they resist to sleep at all being then sleep deprived but pushing the nap to 1/1:30 on a regular basis could help. If the nap is going be too long, cap to prevent BT. Wdyt?
~Marta

Offline blueberry7

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 03:57:37 am »
Thanks for the tip!  What is BT?  I will certainly try pushing his nap a bit later and see if that works.  Will keep you posted.  :)

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 05:30:07 am »
BT is bedtime:)
~Marta